Menu

Back from the CSA farm; what to do with these veggies?

Yesterday was our first pick-up. What fun it was for the kids!

In our box, we got kohlrabi and kale. I am not familiar with how to cook these. Any tasty ideas out there?

Also, we got some spring onions. Do I just use them like a regular onion?

Thanks! ;)

We just steam kale and eat it with butter and vinegar. I think the butter (fat) is necessary to help your body utilize the nutrients, which is why you need to eat some butter with sweet potatoes--your body needs fat to process the beta carotene into vitamin A.

It has been a long time since I ate kolrabi. I think I put it in a stir-fry.

I love Kohlrabi just raw and plain! I lightly saute the kale with garlic and olive oil.

I got a HUGE head of bok choy and a huge head of Napa cabbage this week. Also some pink turnips and radishes. I am loving my CSA!

We just treat Kale like cabbage. But there are different Kales, my mum always grows the curly kale that is as tough as old boots and needs a lot of cooking but I prefer the more tender ones like russian red. You can use it as a salad leaf if its small baby leaves. Its often in bagged salads.

Use kale as you would any green; add it to soup, stew, stir fry, as well as baking it crispy. I did a seafood soup/stew last night and i used a bunch of my garden kale (I am growing three kinds; white, curly, and elephant). I stacked the leaves and did the chiffonade chop (stack, roll, slice) http://z.about.com/d/localfoods/1/0/y/1/-/-/Mint6.jpg (not my pic). That looked pretty in contrast with the diced tomatoes...and tasted really nice after having simmered in the bouillabaisse- -type broth.

There are many kolhrabi recipe links. Here's one:

http://simplyrecipes.com/tag/Kohlrabi

Edited by LibraryLover

We got a yummy kale pesto recipe in our CSA newsletter last year. I can't find it now, but it was basically the same as a traditional pesto recipe with kale in place of basil and walnuts or pecans in place of pine nuts. We ate the pesto in vegetable soup and on pasta.

I've never known what to do with the kholrabi either, lol. We finally just sliced it and ate it raw. It was pretty good.

Cat

This recipe from Real Simple is one we make frequently. It's quick, easy, and attractive. These are all prerequisites in order to get my dd to cook. Bean and Sausage Stew (with kale) is one of her favorite dishes. The boys pick out the kale as green things frighten them.

I was going to ask some questions on here about CSAs. Great names think alike; some just think faster than others.:tongue_smilie: You must be younger. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Kale chips, as described above. MMMMM! We can eat them MUCH faster than we can make them. :D

We also make sauteed kale all the time as our dinner veggie. When we have it, DH uses bacon grease for the fat, and he adds some broth at the end and simmers it for flavor.

This recipe from Real Simple is one we make frequently. It's quick, easy, and attractive. These are all prerequisites in order to get my dd to cook. Bean and Sausage Stew (with kale) is one of her favorite dishes. The boys pick out the kale as green things frighten them.

I was going to ask some questions on here about CSAs. Great names think alike; some just think faster than others.:tongue_smilie: You must be younger. Yeah, that's the ticket.

:lol: Feeling older every day - I am now 41. My body is changing in sooo many ways - that's why I need a CSA - I need all the help I can get. I am young at heart, though. Really. ;)

I haven't read all the posts but I wanted to let you know there are several cookbooks out there that list vegetables by name, with a bunch of recipes and cooking instructions for each. Try From Asparagus to Zucchini and Farmer John's Cookbook: the Real Dirt on Vegetables.

Thank you so much everyone! These recipes look fabulous. Now, I don't know what to make first. :D

The chickpeas and kale stir fry looks amazing. And my family has a thing for shallots. Kale chips look fun, too. All of the recipes look good - thank you for sharing them!

I didn't even realize Kohlrabi was like cabbage. I can't wait to try it.

The learning never ends on this board! ;) You are all wonderful to share your favorite recipes and links. Thanks for taking the time...

I haven't read all the posts but I wanted to let you know there are several cookbooks out there that list vegetables by name, with a bunch of recipes and cooking instructions for each. Try From Asparagus to Zucchini and Farmer John's Cookbook: the Real Dirt on Vegetables.

This might be exactly what I need! Thanks. ;)

Just got this in our CSA newsletter today. We got kohlrabi too!

• 4 kohlrabi bulbs, peeled

• 1 tablespoon olive oil

• 1 clove garlic, minced

• salt and pepper to taste

• 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).

2. Cut the kohlrabi into 1/4 inch thick slices, then cut each of the slices in half. Combine olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss kohlrabi slices in the olive oil mixture to coat. Spread kohlrabi in a single layer on a baking sheet.

3. Bake in the preheated oven until browned, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally in order to brown evenly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven to allow the Parmesan cheese to brown, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.

Just wanted to say thank you for the recipes! Mashed kohrabi? Mmmm... And thanks myfunnybunch for that recipe.

Tonight I made the chickpeas and Kale. Can I say delicious? Everyone loved it. Tomorrow, I will make Kale chips for an after school snack.

Sounds like I need Farmer John's cookbook. Thanks for the recommendation. ;)