Menu

I need a "teach yourself" video-based Spanish program

astrid

Any suggestions?

Dd (13) has had 2 years of Latin and would like to move into a living language now. She's considering French and Spanish, but leaning toward Spanish.

I'd like a video-based program such as Rosetta Stone, but wow! $500? Do you all really pay that? What can I do to lessen the sticker shock? Those of you who use Rosetta Stone, have you bought it new? And have you purchased all 5 levels at once?

Thanks for any information-- these are uncharted waters. I took Latin and French in public school!

astrid

We liked NAU's programs that are available on Discovery Streaming. The elementary one was Elementary Spanish and I think the jr high/high school one was Education Espanol. If you use them, it makes for a very economical program. (Use the homsechool buyer's coop to subscribe to DS.)

I think you can get a 30 day free trial to DS, so you could do that to check it out risk-free.

We are in the same boat as you and we chose Switched On Schoolhouse Spanish 1. It was about $80. I saw it at the conference and it seems pretty thorough. They did warn me that at some point I would have to learn it myself or get someone to check some papers in Spanish. I plan on getting some of the people in our church that speak Spanish to look over this when we get to that point.

We liked NAU's programs that are available on Discovery Streaming. The elementary one was Elementary Spanish and I think the jr high/high school one was Education Espanol. If you use them, it makes for a very economical program. (Use the homsechool buyer's coop to subscribe to DS.)

I think you can get a 30 day free trial to DS, so you could do that to check it out risk-free.

:iagree: Plus Discovery United Streaming has thousands of other educational videos for k-12:D Homeschoolbuyerscoop has a discount. I purchased mine from there. Plus there are lesson plans/worksheets that you can print out as well. My dh was able to stream it to our TV as well.

What about BJUP's DVD (or online) Spanish program?

Your dd at 13 is too old for Salsa, IMO.

She's just right for Elementary Spanish's 7th-8th grade class. But United Streaming has only the 1st year. The second year is inexplicably missing.

She's a little young for BJUP's Spanish 1. But you could go slowly. After two years of Latin, she could probably handle it.

Your dd at 13 is too old for Salsa, IMO.

I forgot about that, but yes, Salsa is for a younger child.

What about Getting Started with Spanish? There is no video but there are free MP3 files for students to listen to a native speaker pronounce words on his website. It's a gentle introduction however.

If you're cool with the religious content, Abeka has an excellent video Spanish curriculum. I took it in Jr. high (the high school course at 1/2 pace), and learned very little when I repeated Spanish in high school because it was a very thorough course. No idea how much it costs, though.

You might want to check your local library system. Many have Rosetta Stone available to card holders.

You might want to check your local library system. Many have Rosetta Stone available to card holders.

I believe Rosetta Stone pulled out of most, if not all, public libraries sometime over this past year. I know they pulled out of ours almost as soon as our system gained access to it.

We like the Discovery UnitedStreaming Spanish courses. They have all levels and each level has around 50 lessons that are 30-45 min in length. The worksheets and all supporting material is included. It is a great value! On top of that, you have all of the other educational videos at your disposal. We use it everyday.