Menu

All About Spelling? Will it be a good fit for a child who is already reading?

VBoulden

I have been doing some research into All About Spelling and I saw a quote about the program that sent up a red flag (for me). The quote said there is "no need for a separate phonics curriculum" with All About Spelling.

Does this mean that a child learns to read (and spell) with All About Spelling?

I have a five year old who is almost completely finished with phonics instruction and is reading on a second grade level. She is only now, starting to write words on her own and seems to needs instruction in building words in print. She spells words wrong all the time...

We used Abeka's Handbook for Reading, a very traditional phonics program. She knows her spelling rules (or at least those included in that book). She can say them outloud from memory, but she has never had to apply those rules to words she writes, only words she reads... And, actually, up till now, she wasn't been doing alot of writing anyway. Her handwriting lessons are still just single letters and how to form them. I saw no reason to keep her from reading just because she wasn't ready to write.

But, she is now starting to write notes and letters on her own and I am noticing that she is spelling many words wrong. Will All About Spelling help my daughter take the phonics sounds and rules she already knows and apply them to words? Should we start All About Spelling at a more advanced level? Will it feel like we are re-learning phonics all over again?

I know it's "the best spelling program," but I don't want to reteach phonics with a bent toward spelling. That seems unnecessary. But, is this what I have to do to teach my daughter how to spell without rote memorization tactics?

I thought my daughter was just ready to start applying the rules she knows to spelling, maybe learning a few rules she doesn't know...

I guess my question is "Will All About Spelling be a good fit for my child, since she already "knows" her sounds and rules and just hasn't had practice applying them yet?"

Feedback, please!!!

I guess I am not looking for "the best spelling program" anymore, I just one that will fit my daughter's needs right now. It could still be All About Spelling... It just sounds like that program may feel like I am reteaching phonics with a focus on using those sounds to spell instead of read. Is this right? Is this necessary? Is there a program to better fit my daughter's needs?

Thanks!

Edited by VBoulden

The shorts answer is yes. Yes this is what you may choose to teach a child to spell without rote memorization. Yes you will have to review phonics to do so. Yes it will be a good fit unless it drives you crazy. It drives me crazy but it works. My kids remember the rules. I thought my kids were "done" with phonics too but apparently none of us really were since none of us really knew "y" had 4 sounds. LOL

I am pretty new to AAS so I may not be the best person to give advice but I am using it to go back and help my 9yo DSD who is already reading. She is having a really tough time with spelling at school and is needing help better understanding the phonics as it pertains to spelling. All the advice I was given was to start anew and just work through at a much faster rate but that a really strong understanding of phonics builds a much easier time with spelling because they learn the mechanics behind it better. There are probably some other people here who could better help you more specifically but if she is having a tough time with spelling then maybe she needs a bit of a refresher on phonics as well instead of just jumping into a spelling program. If you want to avoid phonics entirely though you might want to look at something more like spelling workout because there is a lot of phonics involved in AAS

My son was reading fluently - except for names - when we switched from Spelling Workout to AAS. We started back in level 1 so the words are very easy for him to spell. Sounding out the words as he spells them has helped his spelling tremendously and he's getting better at sounding out names as well.

So yes, I found AAS a great fit for an already reading child. :)

I have used AAS for two years with my son who was already reading fluently. He was spelling poorly and I felt that AAS would really teach him the proper way to think about spelling with the rules and such. I started him in level 1 because I didn't want him to miss out on anything. We sailed through level 1, slowed down a little to get all the lessons in level 2, and now we are into level 3. I love the program and am starting dd in level 1 either her K year or 1st. I plan on using it to reinforce phonics concepts for her.

I guess my question is "Will All About Spelling be a good fit for my child, since she already "knows" her sounds and rules and just hasn't had practice applying them yet?"

Yes. Though reading and spelling are related, they require different skills. Looking at the letters, recalling the sounds they make, and combining them to read a word is a different skill set than hearing a sound, figuring out which letter makes it (and there are often multiple options), and putting it on paper (or saying the letter). This is illustrated in the fact that AAS features both phonogram cards AND sound cards. For the phonogram cards the child is given the letter and asked to identify the sound that goes with it. For the sound cards the child is given the sound and asked to identify the letter (or combination of letters) that goes with it. My nine-year-old was reading on grade level when we started with AAS last summer and knew basic phonics, but struggled with spelling and gained much by starting at level one and covering both phonogram and sound cards.

Short answer--despite the fact that she is reading well she'll benefit from AAS. Start at the beginning but move as quickly as necessary. The rules and patterns taught in level one are used throughout all levels.

Yes! When we started AAS in first grade, my dd was reading at a 5th or 6th grade level. Her spelling was atrocious and surprising, considering her reading ability. We did go through AAS level 1 & 2 quickly, but they were worth it. She learned a lot. I learned a lot of rules to help her correct mistakes. Her spelling has improved greatly and we are now in level 4.

Yes! As a previous poster said, reading and spelling are two different skills. My 7 year old had tested with 12th grade word recognition (decoding) and still learned tons with AAS Levels 1-4. We plan on starting Level 5 in a few months.

Hi,

My daughter is almost 9 & reads beautifully. She can't spell well though & AAS has been a perfect fit for her. So yes, I think it is excellent for a child that is already reading well. Having said that though, my little boy is just learning to read & I'm equally excited that it will reinforce his reading and help him in that area as well. It's a win-win!:)

Susan

I totally agree!! We had the opposite situation with my ds who was a late bloomer with reading, but it has totally helped his reading. All About spelling incorporates multisensory learning, auditory, visual and kinesthetic--so it really helps your child to grasp the words. And I love that once the child had mastered all the phonograms and sounds, you can just move on. Yours may fly through it at first, but you'll know that she is getting it. I absolutely love this program!!!

Will All About Spelling help my daughter take the phonics sounds and rules she already knows and apply them to words? Should we start All About Spelling at a more advanced level? Will it feel like we are re-learning phonics all over again?

Hi! As others have pointed out, spelling and reading, while closely related, involve opposite processes. All About Spelling will help your daughter apply her knowledge and even add to her phonics knowledge, because some things you don't need to know in order to read. She will get practice with letter tiles and in writing, and she will get practice with just words initially, and gradually progress--beginning with two-word dictation phrases, then a mixture of 6 phrases and 6 sentences in Level 2, then 12 sentences in Level 3, and then adding in some original writing too with "The Writing Station" partway through that level. In Level 4, the sentences get longer--it's a wonderful progression.

In the lessons themselves, her initial practice will be with tiles so that she can practice the pattern or rule she is learning--she'll get visual, auditory, and kinesthetic reinforcement of the patterns. And if she isn't writing much yet when she does level 1, she can do most of her work with the tiles while she continues working on her handwriting outside of spelling. Gradually you can have her work up to more writing as she's ready.

The program is customizable to her pace. If a rule is review to her, you don't have to spend a lot of time on it, but you do want to make sure she understands it not only for reading, but also for spelling, so you have her demonstrate the concept with the tiles or in writing. You may find that she's adding to her knowledge, or making it broader. I don't think it will feel like re-learning so much as learning something in a new context. HTH! Merry :-)

I think one of the biggest reading/spelling misconceptions is that they are the same skill set. They aren't. A child can be a proficient reader and not spell worth beans. Even though the "rules" don't change from reading to spelling they are two different skills entirely. That's why you have many people who can read but not spell.

I think AAS would be a great fit for your daughter. The success she will likely see in the first level will be important to build her confidence. My 6 y/o who was reading fairly well zoomed through level 1. He could spell almost everything in that level because it's all short vowel words, most of them cvc words. But it helped us set the stage for level 2 which we're working through more slowly.

I hope it is still great in this situation since I just bought AAS for next year and my son is reading very well and we learned using Phonic Pathways. I want him to use the same commons sense rules in spelling so I am thinking that AAS is a good match.