Menu

What am I doing wrong? - hardwood floors

In this house we have about 2000 sq. ft. of hardwood floors. The floors are original to the house which was built in 1890. This is our third house in 11 years with hardwood throughout.

Every once in a while a flooring thread will pop up and people rave about how easy it is to clean hardwood floors. I'm always amazed that so many people think hardwood is easy to keep clean.

Twice a day I have to sweep and mop or my feet are dirty when I go to bed or get in the shower. Especially in this house. No one wears shoes inside.

I've scrubbed every square inch of floor in this house - scrubbed, sucked up the water with the Floormate and rinsed with a mop. We are talking hours of floor cleaning. Within 24 hours my feet were dirty again. I had almost the same problem in the cabin. I was mopping daily - the entire cabin. That was when dh got me the Floormate.

I think the Floormate does a better job at getting the floors clean. The dirty tank is always full of dirty water. When I just use the broom and mop the water in the bucket isn't as dirty. But the machine is heavy hauling it up and down stairs.

What am I doing wrong? Why is it others think hardwood is easier to clean than carpeting? When we have houses with carpet, I run the vacuum every couple of days and am done with it. I work 4 times harder when I don't have carpet.

If the floors are original to the house, they are probably not coated with polyurethane. Do you know if this is the case?

Could these floors be the kind that you need to wax? We have this kind of floor. The clean up is very easy when we wax. We installed this floor 6 years ago. We had to wax yearly for three years, but now it's more like every two years. If water won't bead on your floor, and it's not covered in polyurethane, you may need to wax.

Also, I never use a broom. I use a vacuum cleaner.

If you think you have this kind of floor, and have more questions, let me know.

ETA: We chose to have a wax floor for two reasons. Our floor is distressed and polyurethane won't cover it effectively, and we did not want the polyurethane in our house because I believe it contributes to my migraines.

Edited by Leanna
more info

On hardwood, the dirt/dust has no where to hide, as it does with carpet. When you walk in barefeet on carpet, the natural friction brushes your feet clean with each step, and there is space between the fibers, so you don't see/feel the dirt/dust. It's not that it isn't there, it's just harder to see, and therefore harder to really clean.

They probably need to be refinished. When the polyurethane wears off, they will collect and absorb grime and dirt. You can't really keep wood floors clean if the finish is worn.

:iagree: ABSOLUTELY!!!! Our house was only 8 years old when we bought it, but the people who had it built had three HUGE dogs (forget what they're called, but we're talking over 100 pounds) and the dogs had worn off the polyurethane in spots. The wood floors right outside the kitchen were pretty much down to bare wood. It didn't matter how much I cleaned my floors (I'd thoroughly mop 2 - 3 times per week, and that's a LOT of wood flooring to clean!) they were always dirty and we could NEVER wear white socks in the house. After we had the floors sanded and refinished, I only had to wash once per week. My sister is amazed that she can wear white socks in our house all day long and go to bed with white socks. :001_smile: Oh, this with 3 dogs, 3 cats, 4 kids and 2 adults. We never wear shoes in our house.

Chucki, I don't have any advise but I'm glad you like your Floormate. I just ordered one to help with my floors. I've learned to let the footprints and dust go. I live in the desert so we have lots of dust and lots of bare feet. I just try not to look. I'm a neatnick and would go nuts if I obsessed on the floors. I'm so glad my dh talked me out of the darker cherry that I wanted. I would have really gone crazy!

If the floors are original to the house, they are probably not coated with polyurethane. Do you know if this is the case?

Could these floors be the kind that you need to wax? We have this kind of floor. The clean up is very easy when we wax. We installed this floor 6 years ago. We had to wax yearly for three years, but now it's more like every two years. If water won't bead on your floor, and it's not covered in polyurethane, you may need to wax.

ETA: We chose to have a wax floor for two reasons. Our floor is distressed and polyurethane won't cover it effectively, and we did not want the polyurethane in our house because I believe it contributes to my migraines.

Leanna, I do not want to polyurethane our floors again when we have them done next, but I have heard that waxed floors are a lot of work and prone to stains from spills. Can you give me your opinion on this?

I think they are sealed. They have a shine to them even when they are dry.

But I had to do the same amount of work in the other houses we lived in with hardwood floors. The first was dh's grandmother's house. No one took off shoes in that house. Then later we were in the cabin. Those floors were not sealed. Now this house. It is unreal how often I have to either wash my feet or wash the floor.

What does the wax or polyurethane do to keep them clean?

A vacuum wouldn't do anything but throw dirt out the back side.

On hardwood, the dirt/dust has no where to hide, as it does with carpet. When you walk in barefeet on carpet, the natural friction brushes your feet clean with each step, and there is space between the fibers, so you don't see/feel the dirt/dust. It's not that it isn't there, it's just harder to see, and therefore harder to really clean.

Seriously, nothing can be harder on my body than cleaning hard surface floors

Chucki, I don't have any advise but I'm glad you like your Floormate. I just ordered one to help with my floors. I've learned to let the footprints and dust go. I live in the desert so we have lots of dust and lots of bare feet. I just try not to look. I'm a neatnick and would go nuts if I obsessed on the floors. I'm so glad my dh talked me out of the darker cherry that I wanted. I would have really gone crazy!

I love it. It is 3 years old now and could use a good cleaning w/bleach. But it is heavy to carry up and down stairs two times a day.

You can't use a beater brush on wood floors because this WILL throw the dirt and particles out the back side. It will also dull the floors. I only use suction, NO brushes, when cleaning wood floors.

I'm not sure what the issues is with your floors. If I vacuum once per day and then dust mop once, even with all of us in the house, my floors stay clean for a long time. I do see footprints so I wash a MINIMUM of once per week.

I only had the issues you speak of when my floors weren't properly sealed. They WERE waxed, could that be the shine you speak of? My floors were dull but did have a sort of a sheen on it from wax, but NOTHING I did made them clean until we had them refinished. Could you possibly refinish the most used room to see if it helps?

I vacuum our wood floors using my Miele's floor brush. This has never been an issue.

What does the wax or polyurethane do to keep them clean?

Both the wax and the polyurethane act as a barrier between the wood and the dirt. Wood is porous and the dirt and dust will fill in the tiny spaces. You need an effective barrier.

My vacuum cleaner is actually a central vac. All of the dirt gets sucked into a big canister in the basement. In the past I used a "stick vac" by Hoover that did not have a beater bar. My Dyson has also been effective with the beater bar turned off.

Another HUGE deterrent to dirt is door mats. Don Aslett explains this concept in his books. He cleaned building professionally and would cut down on cleaning by 30%- 50% by requiring the owners to purchase the proper door mats. It really does make a difference.

http://www.donaslett.com

Okay, according to this I have something other than surface sealed floors. I got the smudge.

Not sure what kind of finish you have? To tell the difference in a pinch, just rub your finger across the floor. If no smudge appears, the floor is surface sealed. If you do create a smudge, the floor has been treated with a penetrating seal, oil finish, shellac, varnish or lacquer, and then waxed.

So, I should strip the wax and refinish the floor? Would that be something one should expect a landlord to do if one is renting?

You can't use a beater brush on wood floors because this WILL throw the dirt and particles out the back side. It will also dull the floors. I only use suction, NO brushes, when cleaning wood floors.

:iagree:

I bought an Electrolux cannister vac to use downstairs on my 1500 sq. ft. of hardwood. It works like a champ. I do have an Electrolux upright for the carpeted upstairs. Hardwood: cannister. Carpet: upright, with a beater brush.

I'm not sure what the issues is with your floors. If I vacuum once per day and then dust mop once, even with all of us in the house, my floors stay clean for a long time. I do see footprints so I wash a MINIMUM of once per week.

Ditto, although vaccuuming is a little sketchy, lol. I have a microfiber dustmop that I will use daily if I don't vacuum.

To *clean*, I use either Bona or my steam mop. My floors are beautimous.

I only had the issues you speak of when my floors weren't properly sealed. They WERE waxed, could that be the shine you speak of? My floors were dull but did have a sort of a sheen on it from wax, but NOTHING I did made them clean until we had them refinished. Could you possibly refinish the most used room to see if it helps?

That's what I'm thinking: that her floors are not sealed. Mine have 5 or more coats of polyurethane. They wear like iron, and they are always shiney--not wet-looking shiney, you understand, just nice glossy shiney.

Leanna, I do not want to polyurethane our floors again when we have them done next, but I have heard that waxed floors are a lot of work and prone to stains from spills. Can you give me your opinion on this?

I do think wax floors can be more work just because waxing happens more often than redoing polyurethane. I was so sick for months when I was exposed to new polyurethane at our old house that the extra work of wax was worth it for me. Also, we had our floors distressed and wanted to retain the natural look. The polyurethane just didn't look right with our distressed wide planks.

Some people don't like wax floors because they like to bleach and sanitize their floors. Really, this isn't good for any wood floor. Personally, I believe my health is more adversely affected by regular exposure to chemicals.

As far as waxing goes. I hire the floor company to do it for about $100. We could rent a machine and do it for about $20. If we do have a water spill that gets neglected and causes a stain, I just get out my can of wax and wipe it. It's really very easy.

The only place I struggle with water stains is in front of the sink and refrigerator water dispenser where spills are frequent and tend to sit because kids are....kids. We just have throw rugs there and it's not a problem. I have a friend with the same floors who struggles more with water stains, but she has a pool and the kids come right into the house from the pool. She has learned to wax her floors in May.

BTW - I got this floor because I copied my mom's. Her floor was installed 33 years ago and still looks great. She waxes it about every 5-8 years now.

If you were steam cleaning your carpet each day, you'd find dirt, too. It just can't hide from you on hardwood. I'm afraid I simply live with the dirt and hope that it boosts immunity, LOL.....

:iagree:

I vacuum the carpeting at least once a day (and sweep the laminate several times a day) and my canister collects *plenty* of dirt on each and every pass, in addition to typical crumbs and hair. Even in the winter, when we're in and out much less frequently.

And when I get my Little Green Machine out after a thorough vacuuming? Blech!!! Same when I steam my laminate after thorough sweeping.

I do think wax floors can be more work just because waxing happens more often than redoing polyurethane. I was so sick for months when I was exposed to new polyurethane at our old house that the extra work of wax was worth it for me. Also, we had our floors distressed and wanted to retain the natural look. The polyurethane just didn't look right with our distressed wide planks.

Some people don't like wax floors because they like to bleach and sanitize their floors. Really, this isn't good for any wood floor. Personally, I believe my health is more adversely affected by regular exposure to chemicals.

As far as waxing goes. I hire the floor company to do it for about $100. We could rent a machine and do it for about $20. If we do have a water spill that gets neglected and causes a stain, I just get out my can of wax and wipe it. It's really very easy.

The only place I struggle with water stains is in front of the sink and refrigerator water dispenser where spills are frequent and tend to sit because kids are....kids. We just have throw rugs there and it's not a problem. I have a friend with the same floors who struggles more with water stains, but she has a pool and the kids come right into the house from the pool. She has learned to wax her floors in May.

BTW - I got this floor because I copied my mom's. Her floor was installed 33 years ago and still looks great. She waxes it about every 5-8 years now.

thanks you!!! WHen the floors are newly refinished (I already have wood floors but don't want a different finish when we sand - one that will seal and NOT chip) how often do they need to be waxed? I don't care about the extra work of the waxing, I just want the floors to STAY looking nice! We do have a pool....... if your friend waxes in May, will this keep the floors looking nice all summer? Will the water STAIN? Is wax ALL you use to seal? I'm sorry for all my questions!!! I've been researching wood floors since this thread started. I have a migraine - no school today.:glare:

What is the brand of wax you use? We live in a church parsonage and we are having air conditioner problems. I don't want to even ask about having the floors redone. However, our kitchen and heavy usage areas are really looking bad so this might be an option for me. Can you tell me more?

thanks you!!! WHen the floors are newly refinished (I already have wood floors but don't want a different finish when we sand - one that will seal and NOT chip) how often do they need to be waxed? I don't care about the extra work of the waxing, I just want the floors to STAY looking nice! We do have a pool....... if your friend waxes in May, will this keep the floors looking nice all summer? Will the water STAIN? Is wax ALL you use to seal? I'm sorry for all my questions!!! I've been researching wood floors since this thread started. I have a migraine - no school today.:glare:

When my floor was new, the installer told me to wax once in 6 months and then once a year after that. Wax is the only seal we need. After 4 years in a row, I waited 2 years with no problem. The flooring man said that it's typical to only need wax every 2-3 years after the first 5 years. My friend with the pool has to wax her one room twice a year due to the pool traffic. The pool water won't stain unless you let it stand on a floor that needs to be waxed, but she has several children and they are in and out all day long. We've never had a problem with the occasional spill even if we didn't wipe it up. The only stain is right under the refrigerator water dispenser because my ds spilled spaghetti on my throw rug about 4 months ago, and I can't find a replacement I like. Even that stain is just a slightly lighter spot and would disappear tonight if I chose to go find the wax and wipe it. :tongue_smilie:

HTH

What is the brand of wax you use? We live in a church parsonage and we are having air conditioner problems. I don't want to even ask about having the floors redone. However, our kitchen and heavy usage areas are really looking bad so this might be an option for me. Can you tell me more?

The way I understand it, you can't wax a floor that has had polyurethane unless you strip it first. You may need to check before you wax. The can of wax I use doesn't even have a brand name on it. I buy it from the flooring installers.

So, I should strip the wax and refinish the floor? Would that be something one should expect a landlord to do if one is renting?

I doubt it. Waxing floors is something everyone used to do (before "no-wax" linoleum) all the time. You have an old house, with old floors, so it still needs to be done.

Polyurethane would be the landlord's job, but polyurethane is more like painting and waxing is more like cleaning up. You don't have to clear the room and close it off for a few days while it dries, like you do with poly.