Menu

Dd just dumped 32 oz of ice water on my laptop...

Yes, my husband is in IT, and he says your only chance is to remove the battery, and let the machine sit until it is completely dry. Do not try to power it back on until dry. Unfortunately your chances are slim.

But sometimes it works. :001_smile:

The first thing to do if you get liquid on your laptop is instantly shut it off and flip it upside down, to minimize the amount of liquid that seeps into the components. Then, as others have said, remove the battery and leave it for several days so it's totally completely 100% dry.

Last fall, one of my kids dumped a cup of tea onto my laptop. I did the above steps, and tried to turn it back on 2 days later. Started up and then died. About a week after that I tried again, before taking it in for repair, and was shocked when it started back up. So the key is to make sure it's really REALLY dry before you restart it.

Good luck!

Jackie

I can tell you from experience that both chocolate milk and whiskey (on separate occasions and 2 different laptops) will kill your laptop.

The chocolate milk machine lasted a little while after the incident.

The whiskey machine pretty much bit the dust within a week.

But shut it off, turn it upside down, remove the battery and pray to your deity of choice for several days before attempting to turn it on again.

Good luck.

I don't think I can function at all reasonably now...she's so sorry, and I'm taking it so well (on the outside)....but on the inside I'm freaking out unhappy. My face looks like :001_smile: but I'm really like :eek::willy_nilly:.

So I have one of those dryers where there's a drying rack that sits stationary, and can be used on a setting with no heat at all. That would be a stupid idea, right? Talk me down...

Edited by Julie in CA