Menu

I want to go to college. But for what? And I am old!

I will be 43 in November. I want to go to College. I went after graduation to a CC, and I did NOT want to go but parents made me. I flunked out 1/2 way through.

Got married, had kids, yada, yada, yada.

All my life I always wanted to be a Nurse. But being that I have health anxiety, I do not think that is a very good idea.:confused:

Has anyone gone to College at this age and earned a degree? Just a 2 year Associate.

I am thinking about what to take. But I do not have a clue. I would love to earn a degree in something that pays quite well and will have no trouble finding a job. But that leaves the medical field.

I do not want to be a CNA or anything like that.

I really think I would like to do something with teenagers. But going into Social Work I believe is a 4 year degree.

I have no job skills at all. And if something were to ever happen to my husband, I would have nothing to fall back on.

Any ideas?

Is this crazy?

No, the idea isn't crazy. I think you're smart and adventurous. I'd like to go back to school, too. I found out too late into my college career that I'm really very good at psychology, and now I see a need for a particular niche in my area. I'd love to go back, get a psych degree and help adoptive families and children who need someone who truly understands adoption. And then there are the moments when I'm sure I'd love to return for a Wildlife and Forestry Mgmt degree so my family could spend the rest of our days living in or near a Nat'l Park. : ) One day I'll figure out what I want to be when I grow up :tongue_smilie:, but for now, I love teaching my daughter. And one of the things I will teach her is to take a bit of time to figure out who she is and what she loves before rushing off to college.

Sorry I don't have a clue as to what sort of Associate's degree would pay well and carry job security, but I do think you should heed your inner voice and pursue whatever sort of education you feel passionate about. You might even be able to obtain an online degree in something that interests you deeply. And, I know hospitals in my area will pay to send people to nursing school as long as you agree to work for that hospital for a particular period of time. That might be one way of obtaining a nursing degree if you really want that. Don't let age discourage you.

What's old? I knew a lady in her mid 80s who was studying ancient greek at uni. Heheh, she sounded just like any 18 year old at exam time. "Oh, don't talk to me about exams! I have a headache!" She'd been my grandfather's school teacher!

Rosie

I will be 43 in November. I want to go to College.

As long as you are reasonably intelligent, are physically and mentally up to putting in the effort and can spare the time, your age is irrelevant. Sure, it might be a long time since you have studied, but on the other hand you have the advantage of far more life experience than students straight out of high school, so it will even out.

I went after graduation to a CC, and I did NOT want to go but parents made me. I flunked out 1/2 way through.

Are you absolutely sure that you want to go to college? Or could it be that you feel as though you failed first time around and need to make up for this to prove yourself? Of course you can do a degree if you want to, but please consider carefully why you want to, because it may not be worth the time and effort if your main reason is to show your family/friends/whoever that you can do it. There is nothing actually wrong with not having a tertiary qualification; you are a worthwhile person as you are.

All my life I always wanted to be a Nurse. But being that I have health anxiety, I do not think that is a very good idea.:confused:

Hmmm, not sure. Is your anxiety something that could be a strength and make you a really careful and caring nurse? Or is it the kind of anxiety that will make you fall to pieces as soon as you see a sick or injured person? If you don't think nursing is a realistic option, you could make a list of what aspects of nursing attract you, and look for other options that have similar traits.

Has anyone gone to College at this age and earned a degree? Just a 2 year Associate.

My mother began at university at around your age, and started a new career at age 50. She is still working in that career, very successfully and loving it.

I am thinking about what to take. But I do not have a clue. I would love to earn a degree in something that pays quite well and will have no trouble finding a job. But that leaves the medical field.

I do not want to be a CNA or anything like that. I really think I would like to do something with teenagers. But going into Social Work I believe is a 4 year degree.

I'm sure there are more jobs than that that pay decently and are relatively easy to get in to? Maybe once you have narrowed it down to a few options you could do some kind of volunteer work or work experience to really get a feel for what it would be like? I think it's important to go for something that you will find interesting and meaningful, rather than choosing purely based on the job market and pay potential.

Please dont let age stop you. One of the first things I noticed about college when I went at the age of 39-40 was that I was rarely if never the oldest student in the class. There are plenty of us non-traditional students, as we are known. You will also find that colleges are having classes at times to meet the needs of non traditionals-night classes, online classes. I took a Saturday class once. It was held on five Saturdays and lasted all day, except the last one.

Of course the famous Ann Landers answer to someone who said she would be 64 years old when she finished. "How old will you be in 4 years if you don't go?"

I would love to go back and finish and hope to one day.

Debbi

My mom went in her 60's and got her BA!!!! One of my BIl (the one with a PhD in chemistry and no job in his field) last year finished an 18-month course to be a nurse and is now working as such (he had been the stay-at-home dad for years since his wife was more employable in her field). he is about your age, maybe a tad older.

You will be 2, 4, however many years older eventually whether you get a degree or not. So go for it. Sounds like you will regret it if you DON'T do it!!! :-)

I will be 43 in November. I want to go to College. I went after graduation to a CC, and I did NOT want to go but parents made me. I flunked out 1/2 way through.

I do not want to be a CNA or anything like that.

I really think I would like to do something with teenagers. But going into Social Work I believe is a 4 year degree.

It's not crazy at all.

Is there any career counseling near you? If you're thinking of a cc, they might have someone who could talk to you about what their 2 year degrees would prepare you for.

When my youngest turned 5 I just HAD to get out of the house. For fun, I took a class in physics. This led to more... Now I'm working in physics research.

Pharmacy Assistant - I thinks that's a two year degree. Lots of time standing on your feet but not directly working with ill and injured people.

Medical Transciptionist or Billing secretary - Those are two year degrees around here. They don't pay huge - around $35,000.00 per year but usually the health insurance is good and paid vacation plus sixk days. These are medical administrative positions so again, you don't work with patients.

Physical Therapy is a six year program around here. Four years undergrad and two years of post-grad internship that doesn't pay much.

Faith

I say go for it. I have dreams of going back someday and not only getting a BA but maybe a masters and/or a doctorate. If I wait till my kids are out of the house to go back (which may happen... I'd rather it didn't but won't exclude the possibility), I'll be 40 when I get started. I don't plan to let it stop me although writing all those papers again tires me out just thinking about it ;)

Well, I'm 36, and I'm going back to finish my 4-year degree. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life the first time around, and age has given me perspective into what I am good at versus what I would like to do. :D I say you go for it!

I second the advice to go to career counseling at the community college. They will help you think through your options. You might also check out a Social Work degree, talk to someone about how long it would take. At this point, what's another 2 years, right? ;)

Thank you for all the encouraging responses.

As far as going back to prove something to myself, I think that is a small part of it. But more so, the issue of self reliance, and accomplishment.

Actually, I was thinking of ultrasound technician/x-ray tech/Occupational therapy.

About the old part. I keep thinking of the episode of Army Wives last night where Claudia Joy was sitting with all the young kids waiting for her college interview into law school. All the kids were text messaging, and she was just sitting there like a fish out of water....:tongue_smilie:

Can I get a cool backpack??:lol:

I went back to school this Spring and LOVE it! I am just at the local Community College simply because I can knock out the first two years of my degree before trasnfering to state at half the cost! My CC has a fabulous transfer plan.

Anyways, I say GO! Maybe try out a couple online classes (cause you will need to complete some core) through your community college. I had one last semester and one starting in June for Summer session. I LOVED it! (and got a 4.0!) I took a full load in the Spring and have 3 classes for Summer. Have been planning out my Fall semester, which I am loading up to complete as many classes as I can before we start homeschooling in Fall 2011.

I am 32 and had only one moment where I felt like a fish out of water, seeing all the "fashions" on the first day of class. I couldn't believe what some students were wearing. Gees!

Anyways, if you want to do it, DO IT!

Nicole

I teach nursing part-time and most of my students are older than me. I am 37. Last sememster one of students was in her 60's. She was healthy, happy, had retired from her previous position, and was a widow. She didn't want to spend the rest of her life sitting around by herself and wants to make a difference.

It is never to late to go back to college. Ever.

I've been off and on again. When I went back, I took a career test our CC offered. I learned a lot about myself. I scored really high for librarian. I hadn't thought about that career when I was younger. Now that I have been back in school, I realize it will be a great fit for me.

Nursing wouldn't be for me either. Besides you'll have to go to school longer unless you want to work in a nursing home because most jobs require an RN or more.

I would think about Physical Therapy Assistant, Occupational Therapy Assistant, X-Ray, Sonography, Medical Information Systems, Medical Coding, just to name a few.

There also seems to be a demand for what they call "Administrative Support Technology" which prepares you to be an administrative assistant. The government contractors in our area actually pay quite well (better than a starting teacher) if you have the documented computer skills.

same things. "What if something happened to my husband?" And things have happened to him, usually when I was pregnant or with a new baby. We always got by, but I am beyond ready to get something else going on in my life.

There are three or four things I'm considering getting a two year degree in, mostly having to do with business and computers. I intend to get started this fall if I go to college, or this summer for computer certifications. That would give me a start.

I wasn't encouraged as a youth to go to college. Big mistake.

The thought of being a ranger in a national park I found appealing, like someone else suggested. That was on the top of my list when I was in high school and I still daydream about it.

They're still hiring, by the way.

Have you checked the job market for your interests? "Government jobs" is a good place to check, but I'm not certain of the weblink address.