Menu

Kinetic Books' Pre-Algebra is Out

mycalling

Yay, for those who've been waiting for it, like I was!

I wrote them and asked when it would be out and heard, "Keep an eye on our website. All new products will be announced there," and not 2 weeks later, it's out...of course, I knew at that time it wasn't yet, so I went and purchased CD's Pre-Algebra.:glare: (Resisting the urge not to purchase it anyway...I'm sure I'll fail!)

Yay, for those who've been waiting for it, like I was!

I wrote them and asked when it would be out and heard, "Keep an eye on our website. All new products will be announced there," and not 2 weeks later, it's out...of course, I knew at that time it wasn't yet, so I went and purchased CD's Pre-Algebra.:glare: (Resisting the urge not to purchase it anyway...I'm sure I'll fail!)

YEA!!!!!

I called and they did say it would be out in a few weeks, but the way my luck goes I figured there would be some major glitch that would hold it back. :blink: I am so relieved to actually see it out and know it is there for dd to use this coming year. :D

Heather

Oh my gosh! Can I use this to supplement? :)

We are going to try CD, with reservations. I know it's a great program, but I am not sure how it's going to go over with the kiddos. I am also keeping LOF. So, do you think I can squeeze this in somewhere?

This is my back up plan if CD fails. Are they coming out with higher levels??

We are going to try CD, with reservations. I know it's a great program, but I am not sure how it's going to go over with the kiddos. I am also keeping LOF. So, do you think I can squeeze this in somewhere?

bump for an answer...:D any idea?

Are you thinking of using it to supplement CD? I think that would be major overkill. The text CD uses (Aufmann) is pretty intense, I can't imagine adding KB on top of it. I'd use LoF with either CD or KB.

If you're asking whether KB is coming out with higher levels, they already have Alg I & II. They may be working on Geometry, I'm not sure — they were thinking about it and asking questions in their focus groups anyway.

Jackie

We're doing LoF, Hands-on Equations, and CD next year. My hope was for the first two with KB. Both CD and KB would definitely be too much. CD and KB are both full curricula.

We are switching to KB for Alg1 and 2...maybe Pre-Algebra if CD bombs.

I learned about KB from AngieW in Texas, she would be able to give you the best idea as to if that would work or not. They do have problems the child HAS to do to progress and then problems that are worked separately without having to submit an answer, so I suppose you could skip the second group. It would still be A LOT of math, and I consider us math heavy. This will be one of two programs we do.

By the way, Angie has used Algebra I and II, and if I remember right her daughters also did Jacob's Algebra I with it. I think they did a second text for Algebra II also but I can't remember it. She has posted about it recently so you could possibly just look up her old posts.

Heather

Thanks for all of the replies. :)

At this point, I am unsure if my dd is ready for Pre- Algebra after using TT 7 this year, so we may need some basic math remediation. (Lial’s or CD)

All I know for sure right now is that we are keeping LOF. :tongue_smilie:And, I should at least try CD, right? I just bought tons of it. :lol: (both knock offs and used but still!)

So, we would have to buy a whole new program for every child each year, correct? Did any of you who used it feel that the printed textbook was not necessary? I just love the looks of KB Algebra.

I like the Hands on Equation program as well. Who knew there would be so many fun programs for algebra? :001_huh:

I am thinking about this too for my 7th graders; but I want to know if, once I buy it, we can keep using it for other children. The website says the individual license doesn't expire--so that means that other kids could use it, provided we have the same computer?

Angie,

Thanks so much for your replies. I noticed something in your sig line; you have your sixth grader doing the Key To series…do you feel that is enough prep for KB Pre-Alg? And which books are you using. I am trying to think of a fun and easy way to get my dd up to speed and into KB Pre-Alg sometime next year. We have some Key to books and I really like them for extra practice, *in addition to LOF. (I could add in some MM as well) I also think they are going to be perfect to help my younger dd when the time comes. After looking over the CD Pre-Alg, (algebra 1 is on the way), I am really thinking I should just save it for my son, or to use as a resource. (for myself!) I am not unhappy that I purchased Dr. Mosely on DVD though. I think he is great to have around.

Yes, we can just buy the CD and reuse it every year for subsequent children. (I called to make sure) And it comes with a printable PDF file, so there is no need to buy the textbook. I’m sold. :tongue_smilie:

oops, the toddler is into the chocolate pudding- have to run ladies..:auto:

Edited by lovemykids

My two older girls are fairly mathy. My youngest really isn't. She's not intimidated by math, but she seems to need to learn the same thing several times over in different ways.

She did Singapore up through 5B and then started Key to Fractions and Key to Decimals in February. In March or April I added in Key to Percents and Key to Algebra as well. She'll finish Key to Fractions this week. I'm hoping that she'll finish Key to Decimals and Key to Percents by September or October. At that point, I'll have her do Lial's BCM as her main math and do Key to Algebra for just 5 minutes each day (for reinforcement). She will most likely need to also do KB Pre-algebra after that.

You don't need the text. The Cd has a PDF file of all the worksheets.

With purchasing the cd can it be used with other children or is it a one-time use only? From reading the website it looks like it's for one child.

*Okay, I went back and reread this thread, so a family can use the cd with all their children. Does the cd keep track of the child's progress? Is it sort of like TT at the end of the year you can reinstall it to delete the previous grades?

Edited by Homeschooling6

With purchasing the cd can it be used with other children or is it a one-time use only? From reading the website it looks like it's for one child.

*Okay, I went back and reread this thread, so a family can use the cd with all their children. Does the cd keep track of the child's progress? Is it sort of like TT at the end of the year you can reinstall it to delete the previous grades?

Yes, exactly. Are you buying? I am. LOL. :tongue_smilie:We can always use LOF as well, and we will have CD if we need further explanation on anything.

Are you using this instead of Saxon?

The parent can delete the student's grades (you will have a separate password that gives you access to the grades and other data), which would allow another student to start with a clean slate, but I certainly wouldn't delete the whole program and reinstall it without speaking to KB first. I was under the impression that you can install it once, on one computer, and as long as it stays on the same computer, you can delete the grades and use it for a new student. It's not the same deal as TT, where you can reuse it as many times as you want, install it on a different computer, sell it when you're done, etc.

Jackie

Yes, exactly. Are you buying? I am. LOL. :tongue_smilie:We can always use LOF as well, and we will have CD if we need further explanation on anything.

Are you using this instead of Saxon?

Yes, I'm buying (in a few years.) I will most likely use Saxon with my oldest ds because he can't stand to do any school on the computer. He said, he likes to hava a book in hand, plus I'm going to have Mr Reed dvds to help teach him.

With Annette, I may go from TT7 to Kinetic. She loves the computer for school and I think the rest of my gang will like it too.

I'm still confused baout Kinetic's cds though :blink:

Edited by Homeschooling6

Yes, I'm buying (in a few years.) I will most likely use Saxon with my oldest ds because he can't stand to do any school on the computer. He said, he likes to hava a book in hand, plus I'm going to have Mr Reed dvds to help teach him.

With Annette, I may go from TT7 to Kinetic. She loves the computer for school and I think the rest of my gang will like it too.

I'm still confused baout Kinetic's cds though :blink:

If you call KB, they will explain it to you.:)

I am concerned that my dd will not be ready for KB pre-algebra next year. Even after finishing TT 7, which we have not done; and now since we are dropping it, I will not find out if I am right. Instead I am having her do LOF and a basic math review, I think we are choosing CD Basic math over Lial’s. Dd likes the smaller book. LOL. I am just going to have her speed through it, touching on each concept and assigning a few problems to make sure she has mastered everything.

It’s funny because my dd doesn’t really like using the computer for lessons either, but she is choosing KB because it looks like so much fun with the games included. (after watching the algebra sample) :tongue_smilie:

CD's Pre-Algebra.:glare: (Resisting the urge not to purchase it anyway...I'm sure I'll fail!)

You can't go wrong w/ CD Pre Alg. It is a thorough math program w/ the benefit of Prof. Mosely right there in your living room. :) Kids that age should get familiar w/ a lecture and a text book, imho.

KB sounds like a great supplement, although not needed. CD is more than enough math.

It’s funny because my dd doesn’t really like using the computer for lessons either, but she is choosing KB because it looks like so much fun with the games included. (after watching the algebra sample) :tongue_smilie:

I agree. We are using KB this summer between math programs for both our older dc. I'm really excited about it. I just emailed Mark to see about 2 kids using the same program at various times.

The parent can delete the student's grades (you will have a separate password that gives you access to the grades and other data), which would allow another student to start with a clean slate, but I certainly wouldn't delete the whole program and reinstall it without speaking to KB first

Thank you! This is just what I needed to know!

I wish I was savvy at multi-quoting so I didn't clutter this thread w/ my responses! :)

I agree. We are using KB this summer between math programs for both our older dc. I'm really excited about it. I just emailed Mark to see about 2 kids using the same program at various times.

This can be done if you have one child working at least a few lessons ahead of the other, because you'll need to delete the scores before the next student does the lesson.

Jackie

Jackie, I specifically asked the representative if I could uninstall it and reinstall for subsequent children- she said yes. So, unless she was confused by my question, lol, I think it’s an okay on that question. But now you have me wanting to double check w/ KB. ;)

BTW, how did KB Pre-Algebra go for your son? I am sorry of you answered previously; I have forgotten all the details about your son’s experience.

Edited by lovemykids
:)

Are you uisng it between CD levels? I can't wait to see how you fit it into a summer. :)

The parent can delete the student's grades (you will have a separate password that gives you access to the grades and other data), which would allow another student to start with a clean slate, but I certainly wouldn't delete the whole program and reinstall it without speaking to KB first. I was under the impression that you can install it once, on one computer, and as long as it stays on the same computer, you can delete the grades and use it for a new student. It's not the same deal as TT, where you can reuse it as many times as you want, install it on a different computer, sell it when you're done, etc.

Jackie

:iagree:Definately double check. I had Algebra I on my computer, and was told it would have to stay if I wanted to use it in the future.

Jackie, I specifically asked the representative if I could uninstall it and reinstall for subsequent children- she said yes. So, unless she was confused by my question, lol, I think it’s an okay on that question. But now you have me wanting to double check w/ KB. ;)

BTW, how did KB Pre-Algebra go for your son? I am sorry of you answered previously; I have forgotten all the details about your son’s experience.

:iagree:Definately double check. I had Algebra I on my computer, and was told it would have to stay if I wanted to use it in the future.

Wow, how weird. I will double check, thanks. Sorry if I am spreading false info, lol, but that is what I was told.

Can I ask how KB Algebra 1 went for you? Did your child use it? :bigear:

Thank you! This is just what I needed to know!

I wish I was savvy at multi-quoting so I didn't clutter this thread w/ my responses! :)

Do you see the little button in between the quick reply and the quote button? Hit that every time you want to multi-quote, for each message; it will highlight in red, I believe, then just hit the reply button and there it is...I hope I explained it well. (I need sleep!) :D

Are you uisng it between CD levels? I can't wait to see how you fit it into a summer. :)

Well.....

Ds if finishing up Geometry at private school and will take Alg 2 in the fall. I'll buy KB Alg 2 for him to plow through a lesson or 2 per day this summer. (I'm a proud member of Draconian Homeschoolers.) :) He wont finish this summer, of course. But it will be a nice filler during the school year.

Dd is finishing up CD PreAlg this month. We'll begin KB Alg 1 this summer and then start CD Alg 1 in the fall. We will rotate them through the school year.

I think they could very well be confused, LOL. They're not really used to working with homeschoolers, and they're working on new versions of the Alg programs specifically for homeschoolers (which have slightly different components and will be sold/used in a slightly different way), so it doesn't surprise me that different people get different answers. I remember a thread from last year where different people got totally different answers about whether they could buy the "class package" to reuse each year. I would try to get an answer via email; that way if you reinstall and they later say "Oh, you can't reinstall it," then you have proof that you were told it was OK (and if your question is quoted in their reply, they can't say they didn't understand the question).

IMO KB Pre-Algebra is considerably more rigorous than either TT or MUS Pre-Algebra, and is similar to Lial's BCM or the Aufmann text (that CD uses). I think it's also very similar to the upper levels of Singapore & MM, so for someone who has completed Singapore or MM through 6B, most of it will be review. The last chapter, Ch. 12, covers polynomials, which would be new. In some cases (e.g. negative numbers) KB's explanations & illustrations are very similar to MM, in other cases (e.g. dividing by a decimal) KB doesn't provide any conceptual explanation, just directs the student to move the decimal, so in that case I think MM covered the topic better. Maybe KB assumes the student already understands why moving the decimal works.

Jackie, question for you (if you don't mind) What are you thinking of using after Foresters? Thanks so much!

I'm thinking of the Chakerian Geometry text that Math Without Borders uses, because MWB provides lots and lots of illustrations of concepts and visual solutions, followed by Foerster Alg II with MWB. After that, I don't know if I'll continue with Foerster's PreCalc (which is a very different format and a different publisher from the Alg I & II texts, and there are no MWB dvds), or whether I'll have him do PreCalc at the CC. He will definitely do Calc at the CC, so he can get that requirement out of the way before he starts university.

Jackie

Is anyone else mildly concerned as to what you will use after KB? :bigear:

Or, what are you planning to use after KB?

I have been thinking about using VideoText for Geometry because I like it being taught with graphics instead of a chalkboard lecture or textbook. Geometry needs that 3-dimensional aspect, imo. I'm not positive, though. VT is spendy. I'm hoping that in a few years Kinetic Books will have a Geometry program.