Menu

How to pick a new state to live in?

How do you begin to decide on a new state to live in? I have lived in PA my whole life and really want to experience somewhere new. My dh has lived here his whole life as well, except for a small stint in WA. He says he will go anywhere I want. And my parents are waiting on us to decide, because they will relocate with us. Oh, and my dh is a store manager for Whole Foods Market, which means we have awesome transfer ability as long as there is a store in the potential state.

So, anyway we are going to put our house on the market, but I have been struggling with how to narrow our selections down. I really have been thinking CO, because we visited and loved it, but I am nervous about the longer winter and snow. And we like NC, but I feel like it is not that much of a change.

After all of this babble, anyone have any suggestions on the best way to hunt for a new location?

Maybe it would be best to make a list of things you want in a location, narrow down by looking at your Whole Foods choices and then visit.

I'm originally from PA and glad that I don't live there anymore to be honest. It's a beautiful place to visit, but I just can't think of dealing with the harsh winters, etc. Plus... where I'm from, there was very little to do.

I've been to the Whole Foods near me, Tampa, and my son lives in Austin. Both are great places. I will say the actual store in Austin is incredible (I know your husband has to spend a lot of time there). I just wouldn't want to up and move anywhere without checking it out throughly and then in person.

Simetimes, I feel adventurous, and I think about moving. Being an RN, I can work anywhere. But the first thing I do is look up on the homeschool legal site and look for easy homeschooling states! I guess being in TX now, I'm sorta spoiled. I could never consider a difficult homeschool state.

But seriously, I'd consider family or at least close proximity. Cost of living. Weather, if that's an issue for you.

I don't know what else....

Along with the homeschooling laws and cost of living, we would consider what each place has to offer our interests. For instance, dh loves to fish. We would need to choose a place that has amazing rivers or he'd be utterly miserable. So, if your family likes camping, beaches, skiing, fishing, etc, those things should be considered. And, personally, I would want a longer growing season for gardening :).

How do you begin to decide on a new state to live in? I have lived in PA my whole life and really want to experience somewhere new. My dh has lived here his whole life as well, except for a small stint in WA. He says he will go anywhere I want. And my parents are waiting on us to decide, because they will relocate with us. Oh, and my dh is a store manager for Whole Foods Market, which means we have awesome transfer ability as long as there is a store in the potential state.

So, anyway we are going to put our house on the market, but I have been struggling with how to narrow our selections down. I really have been thinking CO, because we visited and loved it, but I am nervous about the longer winter and snow. And we like NC, but I feel like it is not that much of a change.

After all of this babble, anyone have any suggestions on the best way to hunt for a new location?

Dh and I did this 6 years ago. Just up and left Philly for many reasons. I would suggest coming up with a list of what is meaningful to you and your family. After a looooong time researching cities, we chose Columbus, Ohio for the following reasons:

1. stable, diverse economy - home to lots of businesses insurance, retail, healthcare etc.

2. Family oriented culture - visible and obvious from our very first visit

3. diverse population - very diverse, we have neighbors from all over the world

4. sweeeet! housing market - we live in a nice, safe neighborhood for cheap

5. Strong intellectual community - lots of colleges from gigantic to small liberal arts

6. Strong community emphasis on the arts

7. Metro Parks, one of the best park systems in the country

8. The Columbus Metro Library system ROCKS!

9. Columbus is bike friendly :)

10. COSI

It was a major adjustment from the big city, east coast lifestyle we were raised in, but I don't regret it one bit. Best decision we ever made.

ETA: all this in a city where everything is a mere 10-20 min. away. Although it might not be as much of a change as you are looking for as far as geography.

Edited by Purpledaizy

We've lived in NY, NC, VA, FL, RI, and now PA (which we love more than any of the others). When we look for places to live, other than NY, NC and RI (home states for the first two - job requirement for the third), we always visit first and consider the options - everything from housing to work to taxes to weather and whatnot. We've been to 49 of the 50 states (missed Alaska), so have seen quite a variety, but everyone is an individual as to what appeals to them or not.

I'd move to Hawaii (for a couple of years) in a heartbeat if we could afford it. We might once the boys all leave home (4 more years).

My suggestion is for all of you to take a good, long roadtrip (or flight, then rent a car) and see what everyone thinks. Consider cost of living as well as taxes, etc.

I agree. I think she should move to the DFW area, and we'll meet and become friends, and her dh can introduce me to another Whole Foods manager.

But that's just me.

:lol:

You have it all figured out :D It woudl be great, huh? My ds suggests TX all the time, but people always say "oh, Texas is like another country". Why is that?

As for homeschooling laws, we are in PA which is one of the strictest and I do not mind what we are required to do. So, in that respect I am not too intimidated.

You have it all figured out :D It woudl be great, huh? My ds suggests TX all the time, but people always say "oh, Texas is like another country". Why is that?

As for homeschooling laws, we are in PA which is one of the strictest and I do not mind what we are required to do. So, in that respect I am not too intimidated.

I've never been outside of Tx, so I can't answer. But I love everything about it, except our beaches. The Gulf of Mexico isn't exactly beautiful. In other words, I've never, ever, seen blue water.

Dh and I did this 6 years ago. Just up and left Philly for many reasons. I would suggest coming up with a list of what is meaningful to you and your family. After a looooong time researching cities, we chose Columbus, Ohio for the following reasons:

1. stable, diverse economy - home to lots of businesses insurance, retail, healthcare etc.

2. Family oriented culture - visible and obvious from our very first visit

3. diverse population - very diverse, we have neighbors from all over the world

4. sweeeet! housing market - we live in a nice, safe neighborhood for cheap

5. Strong intellectual community - lots of colleges from gigantic to small liberal arts

6. Strong community emphasis on the arts

7. Metro Parks, one of the best park systems in the country

8. The Columbus Metro Library system ROCKS!

9. Columbus is bike friendly :)

10. COSI

It was a major adjustment from the big city, east coast lifestyle we were raised in, but I don't regret it one bit. Best decision we ever made.

ETA: all this in a city where everything is a mere 10-20 min. away. Although it might not be as much of a change as you are looking for as far as geography.

All of these points sound wonderful to me. We would also like to live in somewhat of a town atmosphere, but still have a yard, etc. And a less harsh winter would be a plus, so definitely not somewhere colder than here.

what (vague) part of PA are you from. Central Ohio is south of PA and considerably warmer (with the exception of the mass of snow this year) than PA.

Town atmosphere: Westerville, Granville, Pickerington, Clintonville, Old towne, German Village etc.. If you become interested and want specifics about different neighborhoods PM me.

Edited by Purpledaizy

what (vague) part of PA are you from. Central Ohio is south of PA and considerably warmer (with the exception of the mass of snow this year) than PA.

Town atmosphere: Westerville, Granville, Pickerington, Clintonville, Old towne, German Village etc.. If you become interested and want specifics about different neighborhoods PM me.

I think there is a website called findyourspot.com where you enter all kinds of criteria and it selects a few places for you. If nothing else, it's fun to try.

I've never had the privilege of living in CO, but I live in northern NM and we visit a lot. I think of winters in the northeast (lived in upstate NY) as MUCH more brutal than CO winters! In CO, you've got a lot more sunshine. So even when it's cold, it's just easier to take. It's not that deep bone-chilling cold that I experienced in NY. I remember one winter that I lived in NY we literally did not see the sun once from November through May. Now that's what I call a long winter. In CO, you'll be skiing in sunshine. And it's beautiful there. We talk about possibly moving there when dh retires. It's just lovely. I'd recommend keeping it on your list of possible places.

The answer is always TEXAS.

ETA: Seriously, TX has every kind of geography you can imagine. There's prairies, plains, mountains, forests, beaches, hills.....take your pick. No state income tax, great homeschool state, very diverse economy, everything from super - religious to non-religious areas, cost of living is reasonable in most areas, great, friendly people....I love TX. Azaleas grow to be big bushes, crepe myrtles are real trees, bluebonnets are wonderful (can you tell what I'm REALLY missing since we moved?)

Edited by TXMomof4

As I'm learning after three weeks here in the DFW area, everything is bigger, and better, in Texas. It is another country, but in a good way.

Come on down, and maybe we ALL can meet up and have a WTM homeschool group here in the DFW area! (hint! hint!).

First thing I do is check the homeschool laws. After I've narrowed it down by easiest to homeschool, I'll check towns that dh has a place to work. If the town does not have a Wal-mart I'll cross it off. We were in a place that was 2 hours one way from the closest Walmart and supermarket.

I prefer towns with interstate access and I'd really like one with a mall within 30 miles.

Now, you have to keep in mind that like Eloise, I am a city child. I'd be happiest living in Manhattan. Dh is a country boy. He thinks nothing of living in a place where it takes 20 minutes to get to the market. So we compromise as best we can. Luckily he has agreed to retire just outside of D.C. since he has drug me around the country to some of the podunkiest places for his career.

Edited by Parrothead

I think there is a website called findyourspot.com where you enter all kinds of criteria and it selects a few places for you. If nothing else, it's fun to try.

I will have to give this a whirl after dinner. See what I come up with! Thanks for the suggestion!

If it comes up with TX, I will consider it a sure sign:D I can see there is a big TX fan club on here. And I would have a wonderful WTM network going for me. My dh would get a kick out of that being on my priority list for selecting a location ;)

Six years ago, we decided we needed a change too. We were leaving NH, and CO, NC and TX were our top choices. TX because dh was born and raised there until he was 7, CO because I LOVE it there, and NC because dh's college roommate used to live there, and we loved visiting him and the area. We ended up in NC because dh wanted warmer weather of which CO would not provide; CO would also make us land-locked, and growing up 45 minutes from the beach we couldn't do that. TX was too far since dh wanted to be days drive away just in case something happened to either of our families.

We've been in NC (near Charlotte) for 4 years, and it is the best decision we have ever made! The weather is fabulous, southerners are so nice, there's a lot to do around here, and we're only 20 minutes outside of the city. The homeschool community is very vibrant as well. State law for homeschooling is very doable and family friendly.

We did findyourspot.com too! Everywhere we were thinking of going came up... have fun with it!

Enjoy this journey... so exciting!!!!

When I really can choose, I'd pick a place based on a few things, but not necessarily in this order:

1. homeschool laws

2. clean environment

3. weather I can deal with

4. accessibility to geographical favorites (beach, mountains)

5. cost of housing and a little bit of land

6. taxes

We're in Texas, but 100+ degree days for weeks on end is a little hard to deal with when you've spent your whole life "back east." (That's where we're from too--MD). We spend summer inside, like everybody else. Some days it is too hot to get in the pool, I'm serious.

The horses just stand there in the field, in the baking sun. I can't figure that one.:001_huh: They don't seek shade!

DFW area gets the hottest temps in the country except Yuma and Phoenix.

The wind blows most of the time, hot wind, cold wind.:lol:

I really have been thinking CO, because we visited and loved it, but I am nervous about the longer winter and snow.

You've gotten a lot of great suggestions on how to hunt for a new location - nothing to add there...

Just wanted to say that we've been living in Colorado (just north of Colorado Springs) for the past 10 years and we LOVE it. It's a beautiful place to live, very family-friendly, lots to do, and the winters really aren't that bad. Yes, they are long (just because it can and does snow anytime between late October and May), but you can have snow in the morning and it can be in the 60's and sunny in the afternoon. The snow usually melts fairly quickly and we've never been "snowed in" for more than two days in a row.

Colorado is considered a "moderately regulated" state with respect to homeschooling - but I've found it quite easy to comply with the Colorado homeschooling requirements. I can't speak for other parts of CO, but the Colorado Springs area is VERY homeschooling friendly, with tons of very active co-ops and support groups, and businesses that cater to the homeschooling community.

HTH! :)