Menu

how many baby dolls....

does a girl REALLY need. My almost 10 year old daughter has informed me that ALL she REALLY wants is a biddy baby (made by American Girl...I think)...but she has SOOOO many baby dolls already...and won't she outgrown them pretty soon...what would you do...she wants this for her birthday in September.

I guess I think of it this way--

They grow up and out of this and it never comes back. Let her be a "little" girl--think of it as training for motherhood.

At least she's not like some 11-12 yo girls who get pregnant because they want a "doll."

My girls prefer stuffed animals, but they are of the mindset that one cannot have too many animals. They still get excited whenever they get another. We have three BIG overflowing bins of stuffed animals. I recently went through and got rid of about 50 of the ones that do not get played with anymore.

If that's all your daughter really wants, I'd get it. They are only children for so long. My cousin (who just turned 10) got the Bitty Baby twins for this past Christmas. They are so cute!

does a girl REALLY need. My almost 10 year old daughter has informed me that ALL she REALLY wants is a biddy baby (made by American Girl...I think)...but she has SOOOO many baby dolls already...and won't she outgrown them pretty soon...what would you do...she wants this for her birthday in September.

Any chance she would trade out another baby for it? That is how I figure out if dd11 is serious about a new stuffed animal. We have a one in=two out rule. If she wants a new stuffed animal, then the equal sizex2 (she will lay small ones on top of a big one to make it match) must get donated out of our home.

I guess it depends on why she wants it, if you already have a wardrobe for it (clothes can get very expensive) and if she will really interact with it.

Sometimes as kids are hitting 10-12 they seem to go through a time of playing with dolls/dollhouses again. They role play in a different way though and I think they are working out the changes in perspective they have now. The old toys are new again.

It seems like kids this age, like for things to be very realistic, and maybe that is why she is asking for another baby. She may be willing to part with some dolls that are less realistic looking or feeling.

Around here, there are very few things that I veto. If it is their money or a present that I asked for their input on, I pretty much get them what they want. It is a good lesson on short term wants vs. long term.

Do you think that the doll is a true desire or just that she can't think of anything else?

My girls have 6 each and I think that is TOO many but they have not asked for them - it is all my mil. :glare:

If that is the only thing she is asking for and it doesn't cost too much I say why not? If she is asking for a bunch, I would get her something else. If it costs too much, I would maybe wait until Christmas and see if she hasn't outgrown it? just some thoughts...

12dd has fifteen children and loves every one of them dearly. She has many different kinds including old socks with embroidered faces and no arms, a porcelain doll, a regular vinyl doll, a rag doll, and large and small Waldorf type dolls. She makes menus for them, gets them up and dressed every morning, sets out books and activities for them, puts them to bed in the evening. I get to hold one of the grandchildren upon occasion. Dd loves her babies and can't imagine there ever being too many.

Blessings,

Melinda

:iagree:

I've always been of the opinion that there is always room for one more baby.

(Might be funnier if I had more kids.)

:iagree: If it's what she really wants, I'd get it for her! I have a 11 yo friend who tends that bitty baby (whatever it's called) like it's a real baby. it's adorable.