Menu

Listening to chapter books

Embassy

Thanks for the responses. So not being about to listen attentively at age 6 isn't normal then? My older son was able to listen attentively by age 4. He can sit still while I read, but he goes off into daydreams. He does fine with books with pictures.

Mine were very young, 2 or 3ish. However...I didn't have them just sit there. I gave them small quiet toys or legos, and even now at 7, 8, and 9, I still let them play with legos or an action figure. Have you tried play-doh or coloring while you read? (Well, the child, obviously!!)

I am weird about reading, though. I read both Harry Potter and Hamlet to my firstborn before he was 3 months old. (Along with many Entertainment Weekly issues- head hanging in shame!)

One child (a freak, lol) at age 2. The other never cared for read-alouds and discovered chapter books when she could read them herself at 5. She's 8 now and will tolerate read-alouds, but she doesn't love them. She's a voracious reader on her own though.

Thanks for the responses. So not being about to listen attentively at age 6 isn't normal then? My older son was able to listen attentively by age 4. He can sit still while I read, but he goes off into daydreams. He does fine with books with pictures.

They're all different - no need to worry. Try shorter books, even those with chapters that can stand on their own (Homer Price, Winnie the Pooh, Beatrix Potter).

At those ages, my boys liked books such as My Father's Dragon, Wolf Story, Stone Fox, Iron Giant, Chocolate Touch, Chocolate Fever, How to Eat Fried Worms, any Roald Dahl, The Animal Family, even Magic Tree House!

Sylvia got really good at it around age 4, mostly because she was sitting in on Becca's read-alouds. I can't really remember when Becca started.

Audio books might be a good bridge to chapter book read-alouds. You can try them in the car when you have a captive audience! ;)

Guest Rockiesmom

My son is 5 1/2 and a great reader, but he isn't interested in listening to chapter books at all. We have read a few (Magic Tree House and Berenstein Bears) and he does well with that, but if he's listening to a book he'd prefer the short ones like the Laura Chapman books. I do think that listening to them, but allowing them to play with legos or something small and quiet might be a tactic I'd like to try. I wouldn't worry, though. They are all different. Maybe that's just not something that particular child enjoys doing.

Thanks for all the responses.

I've been trying for 3 years now! I don't know how long I have been reading to him, but it extends back to age 1 if not before. I didn't try any chapter books until he was 3 though.

My plan is to start the school year in books with lots of pictures. Then gradually increase the amount of print at the same time I gradually decrease the number of pictures. I hope to attempt chapter books with a few pictures toward the middle of the school year. I have been combining my two boys for read alouds, but I will separate them for this coming school year. My 8 year old is very auditory and is ready to listen to things like Moby Dick.

Maybe getting the wiggles out before reading may help. Snacking while listening does help somewhat. Maybe narration would help too.

My boys are 7 & 9 and they still prefer a good picture book. Given the sheer quantity of excellent picture books available, I'm rather tempted to stay in that section of the library for a little while longer.

Our first chapter book was a large, illustrated copy of Charlotte's Web. They also loved My Father's Dragon (the chapters were short, if I recall correctly, so we could read a little and take a sanctioned break :-) and then they loved a few of the Narnia books. Again, illustrated versions.

In addition to illustrations, I've found it's helpful to stop every few pages and ask questions: "What do you think about that?" "Oh no! What's going to happen now?" "Oh, I like this Home Price guy. Do you? What do you like about him?"

HTH.

I've been looking for illustrated books like you describe. I think they will be a helpful bridge to chapter books without pictures. I'm reading the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe now. It doesn't have pictures on every page, but it does have some. If I stop and ask him to tell me what has been going on he has no clue. If anything he will just repeat back the last word read.

What happens if you ask him later? Sometimes my youngest surprises me with what he retains when I'm certain he's getting nothing. At dinner, for example, if the older one son starts telling Dad about the book, the younger will chime in with a detail or a narration of his own.

Just a thought.

I hadn't tried that..until now. I just asked him about the book we are currently reading. He remembered a couple details mostly surrounding one character. Interesting. The character is the witch from the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. He would remember the witch because it is "scary" to him. He is a sensitive little guy so scary parts would make a big impression.

I never had much luck with reading aloud to mine until I started reading during meals. I always finish breakfast before they do, and I eat my lunch alone, after they go up for quiet time. So I took advantage of time when they were focused on something, but not something that required too much attention (eating). It works like a charm. Even now, after 10 or more books read aloud, they have a hard time focusing on the reading if they are not eating. Captive time in the car is another good time for audio books. My oldest is nearly 7 and might, maybe, be able to focus if he really really liked the story (and we weren't eating or driving).

He sounds perfectly normal.

I wonder if he might like chapter books with some visuals? These are fabulous:

http://lookingglassreview.com/html/the_lighthouse_family_books.html

They are well written, have chapters, and depth. Lots to see, lots to talk about.

Further, even for the age your guy is, I would not count out picture books. So many are beautifully written. The picture book can be true art form (as well at a literary one). What you want is for him is to hear good prose, and enjoy a good, thoughtful story. That can come in many forms.

Maybe he would like books of nursery or other poetry?