Menu

Public Service Announcement: Embarrassing Tourist

Aaaaaaand now we are going to have a spin-off thread:

S/O: Should homeschooling Dads wear Speedos?

My vote is a Big Fat NO!

Sorry, my vote is -- it depends on the guy and the location.

Well into his late 40s, dh was still looking pretty hot in his speedos. But he only wore them when he was diving into the pool to swim like he belonged in speedos. So....definite connection there.

;)

It wasn't just the single fanny pack. It was the fact that he was double packin' AND they were cinched reeeeally tight (and high) around his waist. Over his white t-shirt. With the big camera around his neck.

If it was one pack, and if it was looser around the hips (like a tool belt) it wouldn't have been so bad. But the double packs up high and tight...it even made my dh chuckle and he never notices fashion faux pas.

Edited by Garga

Oh man! They are sold out! I was going to buy one, seriously. My dh showed our dd the Charlie video and she would love that...thing you wear around your waist to hold stuff, yet makes you look like a tourist. Wow saying fannypack is much easier.

I think they only look silly on men. On women they just look practical! I would have so worn the charlie one too!

You could always brave the malls...

:D Actually, I would probably call around. They'll hold it for you. They have other Charlie merchandise as well.

You know, when I see a touristy person sporting a bum bag or two with a camera around their neck...what jumps to mind is actually " American tourist". And in many cases, "loud American tourist" although that is probably quite prejudiced of me and I know many not-loud Americans IRL. I am happy to stand corrected of my prejudices.

However, my English dad does wear the socks, shorts and sandles even in the middle of winter which can get pretty chilly. My mother tried to cure him of that look, and I think his present wife has tried too, and I think he does own one pair of jeans.

You know, when I see a touristy person sporting a bum bag or two with a camera around their neck...what jumps to mind is actually " American tourist". And in many cases, "loud American tourist" although that is probably quite prejudiced of me and I know many not-loud Americans IRL. I am happy to stand corrected of my prejudices.

However, my English dad does wear the socks, shorts and sandles even in the middle of winter which can get pretty chilly. My mother tried to cure him of that look, and I think his present wife has tried too, and I think he does own one pair of jeans.

Peela, in my experience living in a tourist town in the grand ole' USA, "loud American tourist" is hitting the nail on the head. Between the honking and the braying laughter, I have to wonder if it's just a condition Americans get when they leave home.

• 5 weeks later...
It wasn't just the single fanny pack. It was the fact that he was double packin' AND they were cinched reeeeally tight (and high) around his waist. Over his white t-shirt. With the big camera around his neck.

If it was one pack, and if it was looser around the hips (like a tool belt) it wouldn't have been so bad. But the double packs up high and tight...it even made my dh chuckle and he never notices fashion faux pas.

I think that was my dad. Really - It sure sounds like him! Sorry but he's not a tourist. He lives in Chambersburg so I think he's just a local with absolutely no fashion sense! :)

I LOVE my fanny pack!!! There I said it!!!

We have annual passes to Universal and I wear my pack (turned so the pack in in the front). It is great for having hands free. I wouldn't want a backpack because it is a pain having to take it on and off for rides and they are too big anyway. I only wear one tiny one though and flip flops. :D

The clearance section of a store whose tagline is "Over 1000 Music Tees? D***, That's A Lot!"

:D

They even have bands known to us old fogies - Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones. But, I have to say the rest of that store is more for the young whippersnappers - goth and punk clothing, posters and clothes for the latest hot teen movie (Twilight: Eclipse and Alice in Wonderland are the latest), body piercing jewelry.

Practically by definition, if its at Hot Topic it is fashionable. If it's in the Clearance section though....probably borderline.:D