Menu

Would you eat this?

Would you eat 18yo home-canned tomatoes?  

1. 1. Would you eat 18yo home-canned tomatoes?

• Absolutely! Why do you ask?
    • Sure. No problem.
    • Only if I was feeling adventurous.
    • No.
    • Only if I had a death wish.
    • Other.

A few years ago we bought a house for fixer upper/rental. We've decided to put it on the market and are just now cleaning out a storage room that was used for food storage (cool & dark). We did know the folks that built/owned the house. They died a few years ago and we purchased the house from their children.

I want to use the canning jars so I brought them home to be emptied (for the compost pile) and cleaned. DH just came in from unloading them from the van. "The canned tomatoes are dated '92!" Just curious, would you consider eating these?

I read this as "would you let your 18yo eat canned tomatoes?". I was trying to figure out why on earth you wouldn't. :001_huh:

No. Those tomatoes are legally adults, and they have the right to decide if they want to be eaten or not. ;)

Edited by SproutMamaK

I actually checked "other" here, because *if* I were hungry enough I would. BUT I'm not hungry enough (I mean war refugee hungry...). So my other answer is "No way!"

I checked "no", but if I were *truly* starving, sure, I'd probably try them about the time I resorted to chewing on grass to survive.

I checked other. When I visit my mom, I have to ignore things like dates and freezer burn. I've seen some things that made me cringe, but I told myself to just keep my mouth shut, and in every case, the food has been fine. As far as I know, the oldest thing I ate was 20-year old home canned vegetable soup. It didn't taste any different than soup canned a month ago, but I had my doubts when I saw the date on the jar.

So.. the tomatoes. I'd tell myself they're fine and set them in my pantry. But I'm not sure I could make myself use them. However, if I were at my mom's and she opened them, I'd eat them and hope for the best. :D She grew up during the depression in a large, poor family and she wastes nothing.

My husband doesn't like to eat leftovers that have been in the frig a week . I'm a little more flexible in that regard especially if if means I don't have to cook:) But, no, I don't think I could even eat that.

A few years ago we bought a house for fixer upper/rental. We've decided to put it on the market and are just now cleaning out a storage room that was used for food storage (cool & dark). We did know the folks that built/owned the house. They died a few years ago and we purchased the house from their children.

I want to use the canning jars so I brought them home to be emptied (for the compost pile) and cleaned. DH just came in from unloading them from the van. "The canned tomatoes are dated '92!" Just curious, would you consider eating these?

tomatoes are not canned under pressure...usually just steam. Botulism LOVES tomatoes. NO WAY!!!! would I be eating them....

I wouldn't eat them, but I would turn them into a science experiment. Though, even if we couldn't see anything bad under the microscope, eating would still not be ok. Tomatoes canned in a factory where the sealing is a lot more predictable wouldn't be advisable to eat that old, so I definitely would be leary of home canned.