Menu

Queen's Homeschool Language Lessons Books

Chloe

We used them this year with my 4th grade dd and my 7th grade dd. I would consider them extreamly light, and I like light. LOL:tongue_smilie: I ended up purchasing Rod & Staff English for my younger dd, but she still uses the Queen book. She likes it a lot, it is fast and she likes that she has something to do while I am working with her sister. I like it because she gets little nuggets of grammar and does picture studies. I also have my older dd do it, but only as something extra. She has different language arts. I am a big Charlotte Mason fan, but these really don't line up with Charlotte Mason past 2nd grade imho. At that time, you really need more.

I do have one for my 1st grade dd, but she wasn't ready for the writing yet, so I have yet to start it with her. I will probably have her do it next year. To be honest, I doubt I would buy them again unless I just wanted something to fill their time with.

Michelle

I agree with Michelle. Queen Homeschool Language Lessons are very, very light. I think the aim of Queen Homeschool was to present something that was similar to what Charlotte Mason would have used. Somehow, the very gentle approach to learning that is laid out in the lessons amounts to only a few minutes of work each day.

I have used FLL 1/2 then moved on to Rod and Staff Grammar and have been with them ever since. Earlier this year, someone raved about Queen Homeschool Language Lessons, so after spending $74 for 3 books (and shipping and waiting 21 days to receive them) I had a hands on look at the books. After looking at the books, I realized that it just was not a good fit for my kids. Because of Queen Homeschool's strict policy for returns, I chose to keep them. (Do not open the shrink wrap on the book if you think you want to return it. Evidently, this makes the book unsaleable to someone else.)

We have had the books for several weeks and each of my children are almost done with them. One session for us would cover between 5 and 8 lessons. Each of the lessons are very, very short. I suppose if you wanted to drag out the abbreviations of the days of the week, month, states, etc, then you could make the program last for most of a school year. Sometimes copywork is assigned to last for 5 days. When my son sat down to do a lesson, he accidently did all five days worth of copywork in 8 minutes. When I looked at the directions, I read that the child was only to do one section each day so that it would last for 5 lessons. So, as you can see there were 5 days worth of lessons done in 8 minutes. I really do think that the lessons are too "gentle."

Personally, it was alot of money for a little bit of teaching. On the plus side, it has gorgeous pictures throughout for picture study. There are also some passages that are worthy of copywork.

If you have a child that would benefit from a "gentle approach" language program then this is what you want. If you want your child to have a rigorous grammar foundation, you will want to look for other options.

I use and like Language Lessons for Little Ones but I agree that it is by NO means a complete curriculum. I use it for a CM touch in our day. It was worth $20 to me to have the picture studies, poetry and narration practice in an open and go format.

I don't like the copywork much because they use comic sans serif font as the model. I realize that they're a small company, but that's such a bad model for learning to form letters that they'd be better off doing nothing. I also wouldn't use it for phonics instruction. It's too little and too scattered to be effective.

If you want a complete LA curriculum, Queen's is not what you're looking for. If you want to add some CM to your day in an easy to use format, this is a product you should seriously consider.

I do not like them although we'll use Language Lessons for the Very Young for my youngest's first grade, in my opinion Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate Language Lessons by Margot Davidson (updated) are much better. They are Catholic products without much Catholic to them. I'll be modifying LLVY for first grade, if you'd like to read more about my review, it's here. I do like the other products that I voiced doubt about in the post although I do have to get over the typesetting.

I have just received two of these: Secondary 1, and Highschool.

Yes, they are light, and yes they are gentle, but I am very happy with them for what I want.

Dd13/14 will use hers for a creative writing course for the year. The highschool book has no grammar, it is basically a creative writing course, along with some copywork and dictations,art appreciations, and editing practice. Perfect, apparently, she is happy with the type of writing instruction in it. I will add in Analytical Grammar P2 for her,for 8weeks, as well as have her write for history, literature and science. She is an excellent writer. Most writing programs leave her cold.

For ds12, a reluctant writer, it is a gentle complete LA program. He still needs copywork, dictation,and regular grammar instruction, and this gives him all of this, plus art appreciation and creative writing,and poetry. Each lesson will take him about 15 minutes I think, I am not sure yet. Writing exercises can take him longer than it might take another child. He won't resist it because he can see it is a very reasonable amount of work. Next year (2009) he will continue with Analytical Grammar. I am waiting for some maturity, but he has done part one of AG. This year (08)he will also write for history and literature, and do freewrites, and we will work on editing.

We also cover grammar in Latin and French.

I wouldn't use these as complete LA programs all the way through, but because they are gentle they are easy to add to, while covering things like copywork and dictation and art appreciation and editing in a regular way. If doing a light and gentle LA program means we have time to get to Shakespeare, poetry, art, more reading, and lots of passionate play and free time, then it's a good trade for us, for this particular time. We have done heavy LA other years,(R&S, CW) and this year is a different season, and a happier one.

My daughter used Langusge Lessons for the Elementary Child after using both volumes of English for the Thoughtful Child. We really liked that the lessons were short, straight to the point, and not time consuming. We did not do most of the copy work, because we use Scripture for copywork. It does cover most of the grammar that elementary text cover, but there is definitely no drilling of a concept. This was great for my quick learner who "Gets" it and is ready to move on. However, if a child struggled with something there is no follow-up. My 9 year old finshed this book in one semester. (Not doing it everyday, but skipping most of the copywork) We definitely did an average of 3-6 days lessons in one 10 minute or less session. Personally,I was feeling like what we have done so far has not been enough (English for the Thoughful child and Queen). My daughter used EFTC vol.1 in 2nd grad, vol 2 in 3rd grade and Queen this year (4th grade) BUT- Test scores show otherwise- She tested in the 97% in language. Also, I compared the actual grammar taught to a BJU book. It taught the same material (not for writing-just grammar). It just taught it with a light approach and no follow-up. I like the Queen language Arts, but if you want something that includes writing instruction, this is not it. I think it works great for a 7-9 year old. I can't speak for other ages as I haven't used it for other levels.

I am using Language Lessons for Little Ones with my 4 1/2 year old. He LOVES this book and begs to work in it every day. I agree that it is very, very light, and while I will probably let him continue with the other volumes for Kindergarten, I will switch him to FLL in the 1st grade. I too agree with chigguirre that it was worth $20 to have the picture studies, poetry and narration practice in an open and go format." He especially loves the picture study!

Krista

I do agree with the others, they are not rigorous like R & S. They are not intended to be. They are a very gentle way to cover language arts. They do cover grammar topics and review them at the end of a book. The lessons are short and very do-able in 15 minutes or less. This has been a perfect fit for my ds. He has hated all grammar programs we have ever tried. This year he doesn't complain one bit and I feel he is actually learning. To top it off, he is getting copywork, narration, and picture study along with creative writing and poetry study/writing. So I don't have to go looking for those things. If you want diagramming, Queens books will not contain this. I e-mailed them and they consider that twaddle. I don't personally agree with this, so I will add Analytical Grammar (at a slow pace) along side the Queen's books. Also, for report style writing you would need to use their History or Science study guides. They told me that kind of writing is contained there. Also, they said they have a creative writing program coming out in the fall. All in all, I am pleased with the program as I am not looking for extreme rigor for this particular child because it would not work for him. Pushing him is very counter productive, but a gentle easy approach is working very well. HTH

Blessings,

Pat

I plan on using Language Lessons for Little Ones with my youngest for pre-K and K. I might use the vol. 3 alongside FLL1 in 1st too, but I won't be sure until we get there. I love the samples. Picture study is one of those things I never get to, so having it all laid out would be perfect for us. I am also considering the cursive picture study books for my oldest.

I am going to be using Language Lessons for Little Ones with my PreK 4yr. old. He will also have some Sing spell read and write components (handwritng, songs, games) and a have the get ready get set for the code books from Explode the Code. I think having several things to switch back and forth will help keep him interested. I will be using Language Lessons for The Very young with my first grader. I am thinkning about figuring out a way to combine this with FLL. Not sure how I will do this yet. I needed an easy way to bring some Mason into our days and felt this was a good starting place. We'll see how it goes next year.

How much of these books would you say are made up of picture studies? I have never incorporated that into our school work and I would love to do that. Also, maybe these would work better accelerated a few years.

The pictures do look beautiful and I would buy them for the picture study aspect if there were many of them?

Thanks for the information,

Kimberly

How much of these books would you say are made up of picture studies? I have never incorporated that into our school work and I would love to do that. Also, maybe these would work better accelerated a few years.

The pictures do look beautiful and I would buy them for the picture study aspect if there were many of them?

Kimberly

No, there are not a lot of picture studies in the older books i have- Secondary and Highschool. Both have 6 picture studies. Both of which cover two days of work, I think. One day of answering questions about the picture. One day of creative writing related to the picture. the pictures are beautiful, and the kids have enjoyed them.

Yes, I think the books might be good accelerated....my ds12 is using the age appropriate one, but my dd13 is using the highschool one, and probably could have a year or two ago.

Thanks Peela,

I might use this with GWG on the weeks we don't do CW. Something this light would be a good review for us, and might be a good avenue for some different types of writing.

I will have to look at this this some more for next year.

Thanks!

Kimberly

I have a new LLFLO and it has 10 pics. I agree they would work better accelerated. I will use this when Hannah Grace is 3.