Menu

For those who make their own dishcloths

I don't know how to crochet so all of mine are knitted. If you do a version of http://www.allfreecrafts.com/knitting/dishcloth.shtml that is all over the internet, they are also quick. (posted somtimes as Grandma's, Easy, and so on with slight variations in stitch count) I buy the small skein of cotton Peaches and Cream or Sugar 'nCream) and depending on how tightly I knit and how many stitches I can make 2 or 3 of those from 1 skein. I wait and buy the skein on sale, but even full price (Around $2/skein) here, that ends up being fairly cheap.

ETA: I have some knitted ones made like above that I bought 8 years ago from an elderly neighbor. I have not been kind to them and they have held up like steel. The colors are gone from bleaching but they have still outlasted any store bought ones I have bought.

I made some little crochet scrubbies, and they're thick like sponges. I'll post the link when I find it. My only beef with them is that I can't find yarn that is a little bit rough -- cotton isn't very abrasive. I was thinking twine, but it seems like that would fall apart, little bits getting everywhere.

There are some very cute crochet dishcoths, cuter, I think, than the knitted ones. (Though I sure wish I still had some of the ones my grandmother made me. :confused:)

I also make and use these scrubbies: I just use scraps of cotton yarn but someone has said that wool and acrylic work well also. Sometimes I use pieces of tulle I buy as remnants and I also use cut up plastic mesh that fruit and veggies come in.

http://berlinswhimsy.typepad.com/berlins_whimsy/2008/05/scrubbie-updates.html

Tulle! Why didn't I think of that!

The ones I made are here:

http://gherkinsbucket.wordpress.com/patterns/

I am thinking of making some and was wondering if it is better to knit one or to crochet one. I do plan on scrubbing dishes with them and so I need durability which is why I'm wondering which is better.

I have knit many and crocheted a couple. The crocheted cloths are much thicker, due to the nature of crochet, so take noticeably more yarn.

I think both are good for scrubbing, though with the knitted cloths the scrub-a-bility depends on which pattern you choose. Smooth flat or open lacy patterns don't scrub as well IMO.

As for durability, two of my knitted cloths have finally worn out (yarn broke within the cloth). That was after at least a year of use. I knitted them long enough ago that I can't remember when exactly.

I like the Sugar 'n Cream yarn from Joann/Michael's and stock up on it when it's on sale. Joann's yarn is in larger skeins which usually make 2 cloths, sometimes 3. Michael's skeins make only 1. Lion Cotton is good too, but a bit more expensive, though the skeins are larger and can often make 3 cloths.

Have fun!

There are hundreds of free knit and crochet dishcloth patterns online. Some are easy, some not. I like the ones that have pictures on them, but they don't seem to be as scrubby as the link I posted above. I also recently read a blog where someone was making half of her dish cloth in cotton and the other half wool. Apparently as the wool felted down, it was actually quite abrasive. Another person was alternating rows with wool and cotton. I look forward to trying both.

Tulle! Why didn't I think of that!

The ones I made are here:

http://gherkinsbucket.wordpress.com/patterns/

I don't have a picture but let me share how I did something similar- or that looks similar to yours. I made one side like the scubbies I posted, but large enough for your fingers to slide in (about 3 inches by 4 inches). The other side was knitted without tulle and was like a regular dishcloth. Because the tulle makes one side more dense, I did have to increase stitches on the plain side. One end was left open for the fingers (or a bar of soap) to slide in. A friend asked for me to make her some originally. I sold all I had at a craft fair a couple of weeks ago - and could have sold more if I had made more.

I just gave my mom a dozen that I finished for her. I knit mine because it uses less yarn than crocheting. (I do both.)

I use the cheapo cotton yarn that I grab when it's on sale at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I can usally get two cloths our of one ball unless it's the self striping kind. There's less yardage in those.

I just knit until I run out then start a new ball in a complementary color. (Or not...my sons'; favorite is one that is lime green, teal blue, and brown.)

I do mine all in garter stitch so I don't have to think about them and usually knit while the supervising school work. (or waiting in traffic.:blushing: )

I have three basic patterns I use depending on my mood and whether or not I want stripes. Nothing complecated though....this is supposed to be my mindless knitting.

They are very durable. We use them for washing dishes or as wash cloths. They boys usually take one camping so they can really scrub up because they are rather exfoliating.

Crochet is thicker, as a pp mentioned, while knitted cloths are stretchier as well as thinner. The people on my knit/crochet board have varied preferences, so I would say that if you can do both, you should do one of each and see which you like better. My favorite method is actually tunisian crochet, which is thicker still than regular crochet.

The knit crochet site is Ravelry. There are lots of patterns there, too.

DSC05653-1.jpg

I crochet mine and use 100% cotton Sugar N'Cream yarn. I love it-super super absorbent and fun colors. It's thick, knobby and just the right size.

Chain 30 +1

1st row single cr, double cr, single cr yada yada..

second row double cr, single cr, double cr

Basically you're zig zagging and it makes it knobby and tight.

I actually made a diagram, let me see if I can find it.?action=view&current=DSC05653-1.jpg&newest=1

Edited by justamouse