Menu

Anyone else looking forward to World Cup

Yes! We can't wait. We're lucky now as we usually get some sort of game everyday, from the European leagues, Asian leagues sometimes even MLS. We'll be traveling this summer, but we're hoping to catch a few games, hopefully the final for sure.

I am not a soccer fan, but my husband and I were just in Johannesburg, and the whole city (from what we could see, the whole southern end of the continent) is so excited about World Cup. I did not generally find clerks and taxi drivers and the like to be particularly outgoing and friendly until I asked about World Cup. Then, to a man, their faces lit up and they launched into exuberant discussions of their team and the city's preparations (or lack of preparations). World Cup is all over the TV there, and it was fun to see the pride they are taking in the role as host city.

All that to say that while I have never watched WC soccer, I plan to do so this year as my tiny little show of support for South Africa.

Terri

We are very excited about the World Cup. We even have a party planned with our English friends for the England v USA game.

My DH started reading a book called Soccernomics today. It is about the statistics of soccer. (He had jury duty, so he had plenty of reading time today.) I am looking forward to reading it when he is done.

The opening match (Mexico v South Africa) (we are rooting for SA) is being broadcast on ESPN on June 11th. The first US game, US v Britain, will be shown on ABC on June 12 at 2pm. THe tournament lasts about a month. It reminds me that it will be four years since we have been back in the USA since we were watching the last World Cup tournament in base lodging at Patrick AFB on the beach.