Menu

Calling Dr. Hive......plantar fasciitis?

Does anyone have this? I do (self diagnosed) and I have looked it up but I can't seem to find anything to relieve it. I pretty much have a permanent hitch in my getalong no matter what.

I know supports are supposed to help but I don't know which ones do. I tried some that said they were specifically for plantar fasciitis but it didn't help mine at all.

The person who posted about running made me think of it. I want to start running again but my foot is impeding me starting again.

Any suggestions? Oh and please don't tell me to talk to my doctor :) I don't have one and can't afford to go for something like this. It isn't an emergency. Yes motrin helps...however if I can figure out a way not to have to take it every day :)

Thank you!

:grouphug::grouphug:

I had it a few years ago. I did not go to the doctor. I love going barefoot, but took to wearing shoes during that time. I also stretched out my foot a lot, as painful as it was. IIRC, I took a lot of ibuprofen, it took about two months to heal. I think I also slept with bandage on my foot, one that would keep it in a slightly stretched position.

I have heard about the bandaging at night but I can't picture it...can you play charades with me and try? I have had this since just after my last child was born (2 years) it wasn't bad until about....ooohhh...3 month ago...until this it just felt like a sore muscle at times didn't hurt to walk on it. Now it hurts all the time...sometimes even when I am not walking. Feels like a charlie horse in my foot!

Freeze a medium-sized can (like a can of corn) and roll it under your foot for about 5 mins several times a day (pop it back in the freezer each time).

Don't go barefoot or wear flipflops, unsupportive shoes, heels, etc. A good pair of supportive walking shoes should be on your feet every minute you are upright.

Keep a pair of tights or one of those stretchy exercise bands by your bed, and before you get up, every morning, put it around your foot and gently pull up, stretching the fascia, which is at the bottom of your foot. Stretch it well several times a day. Stretch your hamstrings and heel cords, too--that, cold therapy, and support will help you heal.

Don't run until it's healed. Constant gentle exercise will work better.

I now wear shoes all the time. It's a pain but it's the only thing that works. I found that Dansko clogs are wonderful, and so are hiking shoes with lots of good support.

I have heard about the bandaging at night but I can't picture it...can you play charades with me and try? I have had this since just after my last child was born (2 years) it wasn't bad until about....ooohhh...3 month ago...until this it just felt like a sore muscle at times didn't hurt to walk on it. Now it hurts all the time...sometimes even when I am not walking. Feels like a charlie horse in my foot!

I used an ace bandage, creatively wrapped to keep my foot in a flexed position.

Thank you ladies...I knew I could get good info!

So does it heal? Will I have it forever?

Having to wear shoes all day is going to kill me. I wouldn't wear shoes anywhere if I didn't have to!

I wonder if a good pair of running shoes with good support would work? Running shoes are light so it wouldn't be so bad wearing shoes all day!

I guess another side benefit of wearing shoes is soft feet!

Thank you ladies...I knew I could get good info!

So does it heal? Will I have it forever?

Having to wear shoes all day is going to kill me. I wouldn't wear shoes anywhere if I didn't have to!

I wonder if a good pair of running shoes with good support would work? Running shoes are light so it wouldn't be so bad wearing shoes all day!

I guess another side benefit of wearing shoes is soft feet!

Mine healed fine. We now live on slab foundation and that is harder on my feet. I love! going barefoot and I'll notice my feet hurting more, because of the foundation. I try to keep some slip on shoes to wear around the house. I also make it a point to NOT buy cheap shoes without support. I also make sure I continue to stretch out my foot.

• 4 weeks later...

I had plantar fasciaitis for several years but it has been healed for the last 4 years doing most of the things mentioned above. I used the stretching every night while watching TV and the ice also. I used a bag of frozen green peas marked as therapy peas in the freezer so no one would use them. I have a solid wood to the floor coffee table in front of my couch and I stretched my foot every night during my favorite TV program. I sometimes prepared a bucket or basin of ice water and put my foot in it as long as I could stand it. The ice water hurts a great deal but actually produces the quickest results. I started by wearing Birkenstocks that have a latex and cork insole that molds to your foot under the pressure and heat of your foot. I later was fitted at place in our town called Foot Solutions with shoes with an insole of latex and cork that was just for my particular arch needs. I have a high instep and need very good arch support. I have worn no other shoes than these for the last 4 years with an occasional switch out to Birkenstocks. I have the same cork/latex inserts in my tennis shoes and clogs. The shoes at the Foot Solutions store were expensive so I only have clogs, sandals, Mary Jane clogs and tennis shoes and added a new pair each year. I also had the less expensive Birkenstocks as a backup. I never go barefoot anymore and have ceased to have the pain upon rising and do not wear the foot brace or wrap my foot. If I ever feel I have strained my foot in the slightest manner, I stretch it and put it on a bag of peas again for several days. I do not recommend the cortizone shots as they can damage the fascia further over time. The therapy will do the trick if you are consistant with it and do not continually keep hurting it. It will take time but will work. I tried the inserts advertised on an infomercial but they did no good for me. I would be glad to answer any questions for anyone who would like more information. I pray you find relief with these suggestions.

Carolyn