Menu

What is conscious sedation?

I have to get some dental work done, (HAVE to) and I have a HUGE dentist anxiety. I literally have a panic attack. When I was a kid (around 8) I went to a dentist for over a year. When he would "numb" me so I would not feel anything it wouldnt take effect. I felt EVERYTHING. The drill on nerves, EVERYTHING. He thought I was lying, called me a liar and had nurses (up to 6 at one point) hold me down when drilling. (I felt EVERY.THING) The worst experience EVER. So that went on for over a year. My mom didnt believe me (because why would the dentist of all people lie?) So I dont know what was going on but ever since then I literally go into a panic at the dentist. I can help it. Its something I try not to do but it happens.

I found a dentist that does conscious sedation. How conscious are you? Because to me that sounds like a panic attack waiting to happen! Please help, I have to get a problem taken care of but am scared to death to!

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

conscious sedation at our pediatric dentist means they give you valium a short time beforehand. I think it can mean different things depending on doctor or dentist. You have to be conscious so you can follow directions, open and close your mouth, not be in danger of stopping breathing or something like that.

Chloral hydrate or versed or valium or the gas (sorry, I don't remember the name of the gas that the dentists use). Most people won't even remember their trip to the dentist's office after sedation. You'll be awake. You'll be able to talk. You'll slur your speech like a drunkard. Your short-term memory won't convert into long-term while the medication is on board. You will need a driver.

When I had conscious sedation (I have SEVERE dentist anxiety also) I was given a prescription for 6 pills. I'm sorry I have no idea what they were.

I had to get up early and take two pills two hours before my procedure and then take two more pills about thirty minutes before the procedure. The last pills were in case it didn't "take" and I felt or remembered anything. I didn't need them.

The last thing I remember was getting into the car and saying "whatever these pills are, they don't work because I'm wide awake."

Apparently they did, LOL. My spouse was with me and told me that I cursed everyone out and told them exactly what I think of dentists (:blushing: Oops!) but that I did lay down and open my mouth and cooperate with everything that was asked of me. I don't remember anything. NOTHING.

They should insist that an adult be present with you and stay with you during the entire procedure as I was apparently fully incapacitated. It should be someone you trust implicitly.

All I remember was waking up at home in bed. I have SEVERE dentist anxiety, so I know exactly how you feel. I almost lost most of my teeth because I was so afraid of going to the dentist to get problems taken care of, but now that I've experienced the conscious sedation, I've been able to get the dental work done that I needed. It's been and honest-to-goodness lifesaver for me.

Oh, and I did apologize for my nasty words on my follow-up visit. Everyone just laughed at me and told me it happens all the time.

Apparently you lose your brain-to-mouth filter, so be sure to confess all your feelings before you take your pills, LOL.

Good luck to you!

My spouse was with me and told me that I cursed everyone out and told them exactly what I think of dentists (:blushing: Oops!) but that I did lay down and open my mouth and cooperate with everything that was asked of me. I don't remember anything. NOTHING.

Apparently you lose your brain-to-mouth filter, so be sure to confess all your feelings before you take your pills, LOL.

Good luck to you!

That made me laugh!:lol: Thank you because I need to laugh, My heart is racing just thinking about making the appointment (I cant even do that, Im afraid DH might have to, how pathetic is that??)

That whole dental experience sounds like it was a real, live nightmare. I never had anything close to that, and when the dentist told me I had needed a root canal about 10 years ago, I said (in an incredulous whine), "But can't you just PULL IT!?!"

I'll be praying for you. :grouphug:

I dont even have words to describe it. And nobody believed me? I don't understand why! Cant they tell when it takes 6 people to hold down an 8 year old that maybe this kid is telling the truth?? :001_huh:

Thank you because I do need prayers over this. My heart is racing just thinking about making the appointment. I am having a hard time even picking up the phone to talk to them. :001_unsure:

So you loose a day or so, who cares?

It is NOT just Valium, I get that to get them cleaned or to take my kids in.:D

I had to take one of whatever it was and be driven in, I got there and he said I wasn't where he wanted me yet and gave me another. And another. And then 2 days of my life were gone but I don't care, I felt nothing and remember nothing.

My terror is so great that I can't even walk in the door otherwise.

Oh about the anesthetic- I know you weren't lying since I had the same problem. I don't anymore. One dentist thought about it and tried Carbocaine. That worked while novocaine and lidocaine did not. I had a nail put back into place and secured withut any anesthesia because they couldn't figure it out. No more of that for me.

In medical settings it usually means a combination of something and Versed which is basically a memory eraser. The most common combo I hear mentioned is Versed and fentanyl, which is a muscle relaxer. I had this done when I had my D&C following miscarriage 1. I woke up easier than with general anesthesia and I have no memories after my IV being installed.

Haldoperidol is used for conscious sedation . The thing that helped the most with my anxiety was meeting with the dentist and finding out he was a gentle and kind soul who would do whatever was possible to work with me . 7 Fillings, two extractions , two crowns and a bridge all just with valium and a skilled dentist that I trust. Whatever you need to get the work done is what is reasonable for you, by all means accept the sedation . I cannot deal without it and my dentist believes me as it took 7 shots to numb the right side. There are people who have a nerve that is "rogue" so to speak and they require more numbing and far more extensive work to achieve the goal of pain free dentistry. I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to try sedation. It is better than sliced bread as far as great inventions go.

I had an IV when I had my wisdom teeth extracted (they were impacted). That was almost 30 years ago, so I'm sure the actual drugs are different.

But, it worked. I remember nothing of the procedure. When I woke up, I wandered out of the recovery room (by myself) and started rambling to the receptionist that I needed a perscription for the yeast infection I was going to get from the antibiotic they were prescribing. I sounded totally drunk. Then, they said I could leave (I had a ride). I asked, "Don't I need to sign something or something?" And they said, "You already did!"

I'm still wondering, 25 years later, exactly what I signed that day!

My aunt had a horriffic experience with one of those sedation dentists. Spent a fortune, had horrible outcome, had to respend another fortune at a regular dentist to fix it. . . So, shop CAREFULLY!

I have horrid dental anxiety. . . Spent the better part of yesterday and today getting a root canal. . . So, I know from whence I speak. . .

I also have a history of being non responsive to local anesthetics, (today and yesterday, for instance). . . So, I hear you!!

For me, I have found 1) high doses of xanax and 2) opiate pain meds to be a huge life saver. Today, I had 1 mg of xanax and a 7.5 lor-tab and 800 mg of ibuprofen BEFORE the work started (allowing an hour for it all to kick in).

You family doctor can prescribe these meds and will be happy to do so given your anxiety. They are controlled drugs, so you will have the best luck getting Rxes if you have a good, long term, relationship with your family DR as they aren't going to prescribe them to people they don't trust and know (their license on the line if you are a junkie in disguise.) For me, my DR knows and trusts me so I get a new bottle of xanax prescribed whenever the old one expires (every 18 mos or so). I always have 20 or so of the 25 prescribed left over to throw out. . . b/c I only need them for the dentist! :)

(And, of course, you can't drive on those drugs. . . so you'll need a ride!)

I also use the best dentists I can find. Shop carefully. For instance, the root canal is being done by an endodontist who only does endodontics, not regular dentistry. He is expert, knows the best local anesthetic techniques, can get it done in an hour instead of 3. . . etc etc.

HTH

Oh, also, nice thing about xanax (or valium, which is just longer acting but very similar to xanax), is that since it actually reduces the anxiety you feel. . . I have found that after several "better" dental experiences thanks to xanax being on board, my anxiety reduced a great deal. After a few experiences, I no longer felt anxious about routine dentistry. . . Didn't feel stressed about cleanings/minor fillings. . . In fact I foolishly went for my crown prep yesterday w/o any meds. . . then it turned into root canal prep. . . lots of pain. . . and so today i was heavily medicated for the rest of the root canal prep at the endodonist. . .

Point being, used properly, these anti-anxiety meds like xanax can help you reduce your phobia and then in the future no longer need them (or at least wean down to only needing them for the most severe dental issues, and not for the routine stuff).

HTH