Menu

old post

Guest ToGMom
I got a phone call from Tapestry of Grace last week. The gal was nice, but I'd rather not have the interruption.

Interesting...I've used TOG since 2000 and have NEVER received a telemarketing call.

Actually, I don't think I've ever received a telemarketing call from ANY homeschool supplier based on my internet research/wishlist/shopping cart.

That's just crazy...

Thanks for the heads up! I just visited their site for the 1st time a few days ago, because I wanted to watch the demo of a product that a member of this board had for sale. Of course, I was required to "register" before I could watch the demo. I filled in all my personal info. correctly, but when I saw that my phone number was required, I entered it off by 1 digit. I don't mind receiving a catalog, or even an e-mail from time to time (easy to delete), and I opted out of their "special notices" anyway, but I couldn't think of any reason for them to have my phone #. If I had ordered, I would include it in my shipping info., but just to watch a demo? Please.

Now you are all making me sooooo glad that I was "on the ball" enough to think of not entering my true # (BTW, the reason I entered my own #, only 1 digit off, was because I have had websites reject "fake" #s as invalid).

I rarely accept phone calls, period, because I can't stand my day being interrupted. Even my friends know I prefer e-mail, because we can each write and respond when it is convenient for us. I expect companies to send out e-mails annoucing sales, etc., but phone calls at home. I would be livid!

I had this happen with K12. I was just poking around the website and I think I wanted to check shipping costs so I entered my real address. I provided the wrong phone number but they tracked me down anyway and called several times. That is annoying and creepy...using the phone directory to find my number when I clearly didn't want to be called.

For me, browsing on the internet is several steps below wanting to talk to a human.

• 5 months later...

We took a couple telemarketers to court back in 1998 before the national do not call registry was in place.

I'm not sure that they can refuse to let you opt out. If I were in the US, I'd be tempted to go to the website, just to get them to call me so I could mess with them. I got $500 from one of the companies we filed against and certainly cost the other a chunk of profit from having to come with their lawyer to small claims court.

That's funny! They'd SO regret calling me.

One day a sales rep from Kiddie Kandids called to try to get me to come in & get the kids' pics taken. By the time I got off the phone, we'd discussed hs'ing, her grandkids, etc.

Dh asked me who I was talking to, & until I showed him the caller ID, he swore it was my mom. :D

I hate talking to people I know on the phone. But a stranger who wants to talk hs'ing? Yipppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :lol:

Looks like they can contact you (mail, email, etc) and there is nothing you can do about it.

This quote is taken directly from their site:

Quote:

a) AOP reserves the right to use "cookies" to personalize the online experience.

b) AOP reserves the right to collect and log non-personal information related to your use of the website.

c) AOP reserves the right to share PII with affiliated companies and third parties. You can request that your PII not be shared with independent third parties by making a request in writing to the address listed below.

d) AOP reserves the right to contact you for any reason related to the website in AOP's sole discretion without any opt-out option.

Um, I'm not sure I like that part :glare:

Cindy

AOP can "reserve the right" all they want to. However, the law is the law.

Opt-Out Requirements

A commercial email must include a valid unsubscribe, or opt-out, mechanism that works for 30 days. Email senders must comply with opt-out requests within 10 business days.

Edited by LUV2EDU

Guest momk2000

We are on the do not call list, so we shouldn't receive any sales calls from anyone. Several monhs ago I started to get calls from AO, I just sent an e-mail politely requesting they do not call, but may send offers via e-mail. I have not received any calls from them since.

Ugh - how creepy!

By law, they have to stop calling you if you ask, and they have to have an opt-out...however, that doesn't mean that you'll get them to adhere to that.

Something that always worked for me...hand the phone to the youngest child in the house. Toddlers and preschoolers are especially good in this situation - they'll go on for the longest time about how they pooped on the potty today ;) Elementary kids can tell them all about their favorite movie or recite whatever they've recently memorized, middle school kids can go ON and ON about whatever celeb they do or don't like.

Seriously - make them WANT to stop calling. Your number will be banned from their system quicker than you can blink :D

Edited by Kates

Looks like they can contact you (mail, email, etc) and there is nothing you can do about it.

This quote is taken directly from their site:

Um, I'm not sure I like that part :glare:

Cindy

Two years ago I orders SOS Bible, they called me twice after to get me to order more stuff, and to let me know about stuff that was on sale. I asked them not to call again. I also emailed them to let them know I wanted OFF their email list, and I still get it all the time after they said they would take me off. I won't ever buy from them again.

AOP can "reserve the right" all they want to. However, the law is the law.

Opt-Out Requirements

A commercial email must include a valid unsubscribe, or opt-out, mechanism that works for 30 days. Email senders must comply with opt-out requests within 10 business days.

And if you can find out who they use for e-mail marketing - $1000 says it is Constant Contact or iContact - you can report them and they could have their account suspended. It is a VERY big no-no to disregard anti-spam policies on the web. HUGE.

I just got a call from someone from Alpha Omega saying that they knew I'd been shopping at their website and wanted to sell me on their curriculum. Um, hello ... when I want to purchase what is in my cart, I will do it! :toetap05:

The rep said that she was going to send me her phone number so that when I am ready to make my purchase ... for the Switched On Schoolhouse I had been viewing ... she would help me with all my other curriculum needs. Sorry, guys, but that's a little too Big Brother for me! :scared::leaving:

Way creepy and a turn off. I'd delete my cart and write them off my list.

Guest juniperfly

Yes, they did this too me too. I think I emailed them and told them I was very disturbed by this practice and to stop. This was a while ago, so obviously one person telling them it is a turn off is not enough!

Jennifer