Menu

Is Saxon Math a good choice?

Twinmom

OK, I'm really in need of some help here! I'm a first year home schooler completing Saxon Math 1 and 2 with my older kiddos. I chose it because they had done Saxon in their previous year at private school and I thought this would make a smooth transition for us...also because TWTM recommended it. Now, however, I'm questioning my choice, in part because of what I've read here on the board and in part because of reviews I've read that question whether Saxon teaches the concepts behind the math well. I really want to choose the right program for my kids and I know Saxon is well though of...but is it the best I can choose? I know that what works for one child may not be best for another, and that I need to pick what works for us. Just not sure what that is yet, I guess. People seem to have such strong opinions one way or another about Saxon...I'm confused.

At this point, I would say Saxon is going fine for us. My kiddos are very different...DS6 can do it with virtually no help from me, and DD8 is also doing well but requires much more hands on time from me and is sometimes frustrated (I wouldn't say she LOVES math! ;)). DS6 is pretty quick to understand the concepts behind what he is doing, and many times switches around the problems/solutions to explain them "backwards" (his term!). He is very logical and we've been told he is gifted. DD8 is a good but average student...little insecure in math...she enjoys the manipulatives a lot and does the work well if I am right there, but I'm not 100% sure she is grasping the concepts behind what she's doing. She's a "Perfect Paula" type, but is also pretty kinesthetic.

So, what shall I do? :D If you use Saxon, what do you think of it? Is it best to stick with it for another year and see if DD8 continues to warm to it as she gains confidence? Keep DS6 in Saxon and change DD8 to something else? Thoughts, anyone? Got two more kiddos coming behind and financially I'd love to have everyone working the same program, but I'm open to what works best.

Thanks!

You will get many opinions on Saxon, that's for sure! I'm a big believer in, if it works, don't change it.

We use Saxon a year ahead--do you? If your youngest is that quick in math, you might consider moving him up a level, but that's totally up to you. There's a Saxon placement test on the Sonlight website. Perhaps he could take it, and you could see if it would work for you to have them in the same grade level. The place it gets a little dicey is in 5/4, where they have to copy their own work, and that could be a bit much for the average 8 yo, but you could always get around that by copying it for them.

If you have your 8 yo in Saxon 2 and she's doing well, why not just stay in it? Saxon is gentle in the first 3 levels, imo. It lays a great foundation. She will still have manipulatives to work with in Grade 3--we are using that now, and dd's lesson Friday had her exploring sq. footage by using inch tiles.

Be aware, Saxon is a "hot button" curriculum. Some consider it the Grand Dame, the Gold Standard. It is highly recommended by Susan Wise Bauer. But for some, it's a lousy fit. Just don't go searching for every opinion out there on something that is working for you, or you will never be satisfied! lol

I started all my dc on Saxon Math this year (ds6 in Saxon 1, ds8 in Saxon 3, ds9 in Saxon 5/4 and dd11 in Saxon 7/6). Dd11 and ds8 do very well with Saxon. No problems. Both are strong in math, though, and could probably do well with ANY math curriculum (and have in the past!). Ds6 didn't struggle w/ Saxon, but really didn't *like* it and eventually would refuse to do his math...period. We switched to MUS Alpha (very hands-on, manipulative oriented) and he is "coming around". Ds6 also has other issues (he has Aspergers and probably a plethora of other disorders yet to be diagnosed!). Ds9 did okay with Saxon 5/4 until recently. He hasn't mastered mult/div. and after much prayer and thought, we've ordered MUS Gamma (mult.). I feel he needs a "mastery" based program, which Saxon is not. My plan is to keep Saxon 5/4 and supplement w/ it once or twice a week once we adjust to MUS and their way of teaching math. Personally...I love Saxon (and I didn't in the very beg.!). I've developed a real appreciation for the program (of course, I was and am a very "mathy" person and would have thrived w/ a program like Saxon!). My dh...NOT a mathy person but would have done well w/ MUS!

My advice is to stick w/ Saxon for the child who "gets" math (your ds6) and switch to a more mastery, manipulative-based curriculum such as MUS (there are others, MUS is just frequently suggested for the more visual, kinesthetic learners) for your dd8. MUS has placement test on the website. Saxon is a good, strong, program that works for some and not for others. I'm so glad there are so many math curriculums to choose from otherwise 2 of my dc would be "sunk"! HTH a bit...stick w/ what works and change if you are sensing problems. Sometimes, that is easier said than done...believe me!:) Good luck!

First off, I don't think there's any one math program that works well for everyone. We used Saxon for a while--we started with it because it was in The Well Trained Mind, etc. My eldest used it for 3 levels, 54, 65 and 76. She liked it because she could do it herself rather than have me teach it. However, I don't think she'd have had trouble with another curriculum. She hates math, but it's not usually difficult for her.

With my second I did K and then 1. It wasn't a good fit for this dd, who is a very visual spatial learner but also kinesthetic. What has worked better for her is Singapore Math coupled with Math U See (I did not originally intend to use two programs. Honestly, and this is probably just me, but I found Saxon got boring for me to teach. There was too much review for my dd's, although it may be that if I were to try it with my ds it would be fine, but I'm sticking with what we have for him.

One of yours is doing well. For the other, who is having trouble having things stick, you may wish to switch to a mastery program rather than a spiral program. Math U See, for example, is mastery based. Or something like RightStart. I bought and sold the latter because it was too teacher intensive for me, but it has worked well for others and there were things I liked about it.

You will get many opinions on Saxon, that's for sure! I'm a big believer in, if it works, don't change it.

We use Saxon a year ahead--do you? If your youngest is that quick in math, you might consider moving him up a level, but that's totally up to you. There's a Saxon placement test on the Sonlight website. Perhaps he could take it, and you could see if it would work for you to have them in the same grade level. The place it gets a little dicey is in 5/4, where they have to copy their own work, and that could be a bit much for the average 8 yo, but you could always get around that by copying it for them.

If you have your 8 yo in Saxon 2 and she's doing well, why not just stay in it? Saxon is gentle in the first 3 levels, imo. It lays a great foundation. She will still have manipulatives to work with in Grade 3--we are using that now, and dd's lesson Friday had her exploring sq. footage by using inch tiles.

Be aware, Saxon is a "hot button" curriculum. Some consider it the Grand Dame, the Gold Standard. It is highly recommended by Susan Wise Bauer. But for some, it's a lousy fit. Just don't go searching for every opinion out there on something that is working for you, or you will never be satisfied! lol

:iagree: especially with giving placement tests, concepts are reviewed continually.

I think that it is important to remember that while easily used in the homeschool, it was designed for a classroom (group of dc w/varying levels).

My son uses Saxon in a private school setting. He has used it for the past few years and is in level 6/5 right now in grade 4. I like that there is a lot of reinforcement in the lessons. He is doing really well with it and we will continue on with Saxon 7/6 when we homeschool for the first time in the Fall.

Blessings, Lisa

I too am a big believer of " If it ain't broke , don't fix it " as well . If Saxon is working for them . Then by all means stick with it . Saxon is a fine math program . It is a very good all in one program . I used it for K and 1st so far and have found no real need to supplment .

The only time you need to be looking is if its not working for your child .

Also if Saxon 5/4 is an issue with having to write out problems you could either type them out for him. Or switch to CLE ( Christian Light Education ) math . Their math is the closest to Saxon then any other math program and its in workbook form .

Other then that smile that you have something that works well with your kiddos :>)

I'm very familiar with Saxon "angst"!

Well, it sounds like it is working for you, My advice: Dont' fix what is not broken.

Well, you guys have got me nailed! :D All that is pretty much a perfect description of what I'm dealing with here! Thanks for all the excellent advice. I wasn't sure what I'd get on this, since so many people do seem to have strong opinions one way or another about Saxon and I know I've got too much "angst" on the subject!! I'm going to plan on using Saxon in the fall, but I'm also going to check out that MUS CD for DD. That might be useful! Otherwise, I'm going to :chillpill: and try to stop watching all those threads on math choices! :lurk5: (DD8 was watching over my shoulder and wanted me to use those emoticons, so I had to fit them in somehow!! :D)

Thanks!

I think choosing a math program is like picking a hotel for vacation. You can read tons of reviews and hear the good the bad and the ugly. One person says its the best place to stay and gives it 5 stars...then scroll down and you'll find another that says it was dirty and the staff unkind. Truth is what one hotel is to one person is different to another. Same goes for math. I am a Saxon user. I have read more negative reviews on these boards in relation to Saxon than positive. But it is working for my dd6 who is in Kinder but we work in Saxon 1. So I have gotten over my new to homeschooling so everyone else knows better than me attitude and am learning to make choices for myself based on what works. I hope it works with my ds but if not then I can always find something that does. I do still read the reviews and enjoy the wealth of information. I guess I'm just saying that it doesn't freak me out as much as it used to. And my husband and I just booked our vacation for next October in Disney. The resort had both good and bad reviews but I made a choice and with only minimal nail biting. :) good luck with your math adventure.

Sheryl

This is not a Saxon Math criticism, just my experience. I think Saxon can work for some children, but not for others.

DS#1: very mathy. Saxon has served him well. He uses math all the time in personal projects whether it's building a shed, computer programming, or 3-D modeling. He has only ever used Saxon Math staring in K. Now finishing Advanced Math.

DD: very good at memorizing. Did very well on Saxon tests. Final score for Advanced Math 1 was 96, but I realized last year that she never learned to problem solve because Saxon Math didn't challenge her. Now struggles with SAT math prep. In her case, because she was doing so well on the tests I never questioned Saxon for her. I realize now that she has trouble solving outside what she's accustomed to.

DS#2: not mathy. Frustrated by the incremental/spiral approach, so using Jacobs Alg. This has worked better for him.

DS#3: quite mathy. I use Saxon as a spine and supplement with Singapore word problem to fill any gaps in problem solving.

DS#4: averagely mathy. We started with Saxon 1, but he couldn't do the worksheets, something to do with the size of the print. We went to Shiller and he finished that fairly quickly. I decided to try Horizons. Now doing second book of Horizons 2 (supplement with S'pore word problems).

Having used Saxon 1,2 and 3 with all my other kids my comparison with Horizons is that Horizons is more challenging and does make DS "think" to solve problems. Saxon shows the child how to solve the problem, then presents the problem for them to apply the method.

A simple example I can give you which DS had to do today in Horizons 2:

Write the addition or subtraction fact with these #s 1,5,8

__________=9

__________=3

__________=7

__________=13

Initially, I was wondered if he could do them, but he thought through them without me giving him any instruction and got them right. In other words, he had to problem solve on his own using whatever tools he already had.

Another observation I have is that Saxon's method of incorporating Geometry with Alg 1,2 and Advanced Math is not very effective. If you do decide to continue with Saxon all the way, I think Geometry should be done by itself. My 2 DC PSAT scores showed that they both did worse on geometry type questions (even my mathy DS).

Just some thoughts.

It may seem like "everyone" you read about is jumping ship from Saxon to something else, but there are plenty of happy Saxon users out there. I have used Saxon now for 4 years and clung to the "if it ain't broke" mentality every time I have been tempted to try something else. I have 2 different style learners who have "learned" Saxon differently, and yet they have both done fine with it. Perhaps something out there is "better" but since things are running smoothly, I have resisted changing. Also, my husband is excellent at bringing me back to Earth and reminding me to stay the course. I think someone on these boards said something to the effect that consistency in one program that is generally working is better than jumping all around until you find the perfect one.

Blessings:)

I think someone on these boards said something to the effect that consistency in one program that is generally working is better than jumping all around until you find the perfect one.

Yep, that's what I read somewhere else, too and I heartily agree! I remember gaps in my own learning that happened that way...I really struggled in math from 4th grade through Jr. High as a result. I'd hate to do that to my own kids by switching back and forth between programs!

It's nice to hear that there are more happy Saxon users out there than I'd previously thought! I'd love to hear from some more.

Saxon has worked well for my 3dc.

My 12 yo has used Saxon 1 through Saxon Algebra 1 then this year we did Jacob's Geometry for further Geometry study. We will continue with Saxon for Alg.2 next year.

My 10 yo has used it from Saxon 1 through Saxon 76 which he is working on now.

My almost 6yo has gone through Saxon 1, 2, and is working on Saxon 3. I tried a couple other programs with her (she is very math oriented) like Singapore and Miquon but she likes the Saxon approach and the lack of cartoons in Saxon so it makes her feel more grown up.

I have had to make adjustments to the program for each of my kids like not requiring all the problem set problems to prevent boredom, moving quickly through some topics, and skipping the first 30 chapters of each book because we school all year round and don't need the review. But it is a good solid program and we has worked well for us.