Menu

I had our baby on Friday...bfing questions...

Congrats! Does he take the breast ok? You should be able to simply put him to your full, but soft breast every hour or so. Don't wait too long or let him cry. It's feeding time when he wakes or wiggles his little mouth or stretches his neck. Crying means it's going to be harder to get him to latch.

If there are difficulties, what are they?

Edited by LibraryLover

Oh, put him to the breast! There is NO feeding time for a newborn. Or, rather, every time is feeding time. Every time is time to nurse.

If you're so engorged that he is having trouble nursing, or if you are feeling uncomfortable and can't get him to nurse, then you can try pumping a bit, but not too much.

He is wonderful! My question is regarding breastfeeding. My breasts are heavy, so I think my milk is coming in. Should I pump to help relieve pressure or should I just put him to the breast even if it's not feeding time yet?

Let him have at. On demand will help your supply catch up with his need and help reduce any engorgement.

I've pumped for the first few days during the engorgement period... You can if you want to, but I'd make an extra effort to put him on more frequently (every 1-2 hours, at the least) to make sure he's getting enough.

Congratulations, and enjoy!

Oh, put him to the breast! There is NO feeding time for a newborn. Or, rather, every time is feeding time. Every time is time to nurse.

Ditto this. Newborns nurse 24/7. I wouldn't do any kind of "feeding schedule" for at least the first six weeks. At least.

Ditto this. Newborns nurse 24/7. I wouldn't do any kind of "feeding schedule" for at least the first six weeks. At least.

This is what my lactation consultant friend always recommends at her hospital. This is what most "less" civilized cultures do, and it works much better at getting things going properly. I did it with my second and barely had any painful engorgement at all.

First of all, CONGRATS!!!!

Secondly, I do believe it is against board rules to not post details and/or a picture of this sweet little man.

Finally, I will agree to let the man do his job. My little guy did a phenomenal job at emptying my breasts at a young age. If he is an excellent latcher, don't worry about it. Take a hot shower to relieve the pressure. Take an approved pain reducer to help out. It does pass. I vaguely remember this time, so I may be mistaken, but my only son was a born nurser. Honestly, go with your gut. If you think you need to pump, PUMP! If you feel you should just nurse more often, do it! I give you permission to do what you personally feel is best for you and your precious little guy.

BTW, Congrats!!! I secretly long for another little man in my life, though that is highly unlikely to happen unless someone drives all the way out here to leave their bundle of manliness. What is his name? What are his stats? Share!!!

Congratulations!

Newborns nurse 24/7. I wouldn't do any kind of "feeding schedule" for at least the first six weeks. At least.

I absolutely agree. This is what I did with my 2 boys and never had a problem. With DD, I stupidly listened to bad advice and tried to put her on a schedule too early ( apparently this was going to help her sleep better :glare:) My milk dropped off dramatically and I had to put her on the bottle at 2 months.

Congrats on the new baby :)

I nursed my son (now four) til he was 19 months old. I started weaning him at 15 months and from 15 months on we were only nursing once in the morning and once before bed, and then after like a month and a half (I think) we cut out the morning one and only did it once a day, before bed, until 19 months when I finally weaned him off that one.

Even though that was the third baby I'd breastfed, I nursed him wayyyyy longer than I did either of the girls (in part because he seemed SO dependent on it and would be miserable without it lol, and in part because I knew he was my last baby and I didn't want to rush things with him)... anyway, even though he was my third, I can't even tell you how much information and help I found at kellymom.com, things I'd never even known before. So I would HIGHLY recommend taking a peek at that site when you have time!

With that said, I agree with the majority- nurse on demand :) Don't worry about schedules and feeding times. Your baby knows what he needs!