Menu

ETC Users 4 1/2?

Spy Car

My son (5.5) is close to finishing up ETC 4, and reading beautifully.

In the past I wouldn't have given a thought to using one of the 1/2 books, because they haven't seemed at all necessary. But I'm less sure this time. The syllabication rules are being understood, but not with the same sort of high mastery I've been used to seeing. Not bad, but not 100%.

Anyone else been thorough this? Did you mush on to 5? Add 4 1/2?

I'd appreciate words of wisdom.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I'd just go on to 5. ETC 4 doesn't really explain the whys of syllabification, probably because they're very complex and most of us never learned them. Why is it seven and bacon? Honestly, I still don't know, ds doesn't either, and I doubt 4.5 would have cleared this up. There are some things that you learn from practice (or Megawords, when you finish ETC :D). In the meantime, you have to try the word with both the long and short vowel sound and see which rings a bell.

The syllabication rules are being understood, but not with the same sort of high mastery I've been used to seeing.

Can you tell me what "syllabication rules" are? Doodle is the same age, but we are in book 3. I initially only purchased 1-3 and need to purchase the next set soon and am wondering if I should get the 1/2 book for him.

I'd go on to 5 and 6 for now. Consider coming back to 4.5 later on, *after* having done the other ETCs. I wouldn't suggest this for any of the other levels, but the 4 level is so different and relies more on development that I find coming back around to that material later is often more useful than sticking with it for "mastery" between 3 and 5.

Can you tell me what "syllabication rules" are? Doodle is the same age, but we are in book 3. I initially only purchased 1-3 and need to purchase the next set soon and am wondering if I should get the 1/2 book for him.

There are an number of rules presented in ETC 4 that show vowel/consonant patterns that "usually" suggest where the syllable breaks and how that affects pronunciation.

In some cases a "word" (technically a "heteronym" although the term is not used) can be split in different places.

So if "pol-ish" is split thusly we know from the rule that the first vowel is "closed" short. And means "to wipe with a cloth."

Where if the same word is split as "po-lish" the vowel is "open" or long.

I'm finding the child basically has to know the word to understand where the syllable breaks, and I'm not sure how it could be taught otherwise.

For fun we have played with the pronunciation if it is split in the "right" place, and what it would be if were split otherwise (in terms of making open or closed vowel sounds).

It isn't daunting. It is just something "new" that pops up in ETC 4.

Bill

I really appreciate all the input.

I'm finding it interesting that our experience with 4 doesn't seem to be unusual.

Fortunately I can get the books here locally, and can look through 5 and 4 1/2 and struggle over the decision whether to do 4 1/2 now or to return to it later as a review. But I'm thinking now or later it is something we will probably use.

The idea of "development" that Abbey mentioned does make me wonder about returning to 4 1/2 later, especially if 5 is less of a step up. But I've seen neither 4 1/2 or 5 first hand.

Cheers, and thanks to you all :001_smile:

Bill

The idea of "development" that Abbey mentioned does make me wonder about returning to 4 1/2 later, especially if 5 is less of a step up. But I've seen neither 4 1/2 or 5 first hand.

I realized later that I had not been very clear. My suggestion is to finish 4 now and consider it "exposure". The material in 4 doesn't need to have been mastered completely (the reading does, but not the technical knowledge) in order to be successful with 5 and 6. So continue on, then return to 4 later on (some time after 6) and go for mastery *then*. Mastery of the 4 material may not even be possible *now* (despite your child's facility with language and reading), but will be in the future. Thus, I like having 4.5 reserved for use a little further down the road, when you can cash in on the exposure you put in now and the time for development...

I realized later that I had not been very clear. My suggestion is to finish 4 now and consider it "exposure". The material in 4 doesn't need to have been mastered completely (the reading does, but not the technical knowledge) in order to be successful with 5 and 6. So continue on, then return to 4 later on (some time after 6) and go for mastery *then*. Mastery of the 4 material may not even be possible *now* (despite your child's facility with language and reading), but will be in the future. Thus, I like having 4.5 reserved for use a little further down the road, when you can cash in on the exposure you put in now and the time for development...

That's precisely the way I took your meaning. Although I do appreciate the clarification :001_smile:

I'm thinking I'll probably follow the advise as well. Pick up 4 1/2, but do it later. His reading is progressing so nicely that I'm thinking I don't want to get hung up on "rules" that seem to sift without rhyme or reason.

The little-man is going to scream when he sees a "4" anything after doing 5 or 6 (nothing gets past him) but I'm still bigger than he is :D

Bill

I have skipped 4 with both dc. I always thought it was developmentally inappropriate to put it in that place in the sequence. :confused:

They did fine going from 3 to 5, so I'm sure skipping 4 1/2 will be fine too!

How is it I didn't get the memo? :D

Bill (out of the loop :tongue_smilie:)