Menu

Moving to Texas

Hey,

I'm new to all of this (TWTM, homeschooling, etc.). I was registered to attend my state's homeschooling convention as a free mother of a preschooler, was devouring TWTM, started phonics. Then DH came home Tuesday and announced we're moving to Texas. Ok, so I knew it was in the realm of possibility and I'm totally ok with it, but I wasn't ready for the announcement that we have to get there before the 19th of this month.

Soooo.... anyone here from Texas? Anyone here know anything about homeschooling groups, organizations? Is there a convention? Is there anything anyone can tell me? I was so looking forward to learning about curricula, time management, laws, etc. at "my" convention and now I may have to miss it (there's a chance I might be able to come back for a visit).

Thanks!

Hope

I hope that you and your family will be very happy here in Texas !

You will be coming to an essentially unregulated state for homeschooling. When your children reach school age, you will not even have to inform the local school district.

Opportunities will vary according to where in Texas you are living. If you wish to post what city you will be living in or near, members living thereabouts will provide you more information.

Again, best wishes for the move and for settling in !

Well if your going to be living near the DFW area then you will be able to attend our Homeschool Bookfair held May 7-8.

I'm pretty sure that most big cities in Texas have many homeschool groups to choose from. I know we do in the Dallas area.

I hope you have a great move and love Texas! If you're going back to the north for a visit, I suggest you do it in July or August. :tongue_smilie:

OOPS! Sorry about that - I'll be in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Dallas to start with, but I don't know if we'll ultimately settle in Dallas or Ft. Worth. Everything's happening so quickly - I'm not even supposed to be online right now - I need to be packing!!!

Hi there soon to be fellow Texan!! I wasn't sure what part of Texas you are moving to so I will only list two as there are quite a few going on in Texas. Google Texas Homeschool Conventions for more. The laws here are some of the best in the country so no worries about that!

This is one of the fairs to go to if you are living in the northern part of Texas near the DFW area. http://www.homeschoolbookfair.org/

Heres one for the Houston/Conroe area. http://www.thsc.org/convention/General_information.asp

Apryl - how far apart are Dallas and Ft. Worth? My DH's new job is in Ft. Worth, my MIL is in Dallas. We're starting in Dallas because half the point (ok, 75%) of moving to Texas was to be near her. (I'm one of those strange beings who actually loves her MIL and wants to live as close as possible to her - same neighborhood even.) Wondering suddenly if the distance is going to be too much for DH to commute....

Ugh - I think (and I'm not sure) that it's central-ish Dallas to southeast-ish Ft. Worth. The commute for the interview (during rush hour) was about 45 min. Hoping that's the worst, not the best time. I really want to be near my MIL. Having family nearby will help so much. Right now we're on our own and haven't had a night out without DD since last summer when we last visited MIL!

If you want to make the commute easier but still be in reasonable distance from MIL, try the Mid-Cities area, Hurst, Euless, Beford, Arlington or even Irving, etc. These cities are essentially half way between Dallas and Ft. Worth. Your DH's commute could be worse than 45 minutes between Dallas and Ft. Worth...45 minutes sounds like a good day, to me! I've seen it take 1 1/2 hours from N. Dallas to downtown FW, on a bad day.

On a better note, you'll love hsing in Texas, esp. DFW! Lots of support groups, almost no regulation, lots of cultural resources, etc. Very hot in the summer, so consider flexing your year so that you can have breaks in the winter, spring or early summer rather than July/August. If you can, travel out of state during that time! :D

Welcome to DFW!!

You'll be here just in time for the Homeshool Book Fair

May 7-8 (check the website to make sure I got the days right!!)

http://www.homeschoolbookfair.org/

The commute Dallas to Fort Worth in the morning & Fort Worth to Dallas in the evening is MUCH easier than FW to Dallas in the morning and Dallas to FW in the evening (more people commute to Dallas than to FW).

Best wishes

The commute Dallas to Fort Worth in the morning & Fort Worth to Dallas in the evening is MUCH easier than FW to Dallas in the morning and Dallas to FW in the evening (more people commute to Dallas than to FW).

That's because housing is SO much cheaper & nicer in FW & the jobs are in Dallas. We've been in FW for...I guess 3 yrs now. We were basically in Dallas for a looong time before that, & really--I'd only go back if I *had* to.

If you're lucky enough to have a job in FW, I'd really consider moving here. Mid-cities or Arlington would be more equidistant, but think about it like this--if your dh can be home from work in under 30 min, how much more family time would you have? And driving (up to) an hr to mil's once a week is better than driving that every day, kwim? On the plus side, when she keeps the dc, they're more likely to spend the night because of the drive. And that. is. GREAT. (My mil is in Dallas, too.)

Maybe y'all could rent an apt for a bit instead of getting settled right away, to see what you think? I know a lease agreement might make that hard, but I can't imagine trying to move to another state & figure out the different areas, too!

Good luck! :001_smile:

Thank you everyone for the advice! I feel better about all this already. So much to process.... We are looking at something short term to start - we need to get our bearings before we make any long term/permanent decisions.

back to the boxes!! Thanks again! I might holler out in a few days if I have more questions...

:seeya: Hi! We're displaced Missourians who were fled to Texas for a job (there are currently only 3 jobs left in our home state of MO). :tongue_smilie:

DFW is very nice. We live in between Fort Worth and Denton. We are also renting for a year or two while we try to figure out exactly where we'd like to live.

People here are very, very friendly and groceries are cheap. :D

There are ACTUAL homeschool stores - awesome! Lots of homeschool groups, co-ops and classes to take...

I think you're gonna like it!! :grouphug:

The homeschool conference in Conroe is really in The Woodlands. It's for the whole state and is given by the Texas Homeschool Coalition. If you can't make the conference in Arlington, this one is good. It's at a hotel and is very relaxing. Everyone loves having it at a hotel instead of a conference center - different atmosphere and comfy coaches to sit on. The Woodlands is a nice town - just north of Houston. They usually have Hank the Cowdog author John Erickson for an evening session and have a program during the day for the kids (not sure what ages).

The homeschool conference in Conroe is really in The Woodlands. It's for the whole state and is given by the Texas Homeschool Coalition. If you can't make the conference in Arlington, this one is good. It's at a hotel and is very relaxing. Everyone loves having it at a hotel instead of a conference center - different atmosphere and comfy coaches to sit on. The Woodlands is a nice town - just north of Houston. They usually have Hank the Cowdog author John Erickson for an evening session and have a program during the day for the kids (not sure what ages).

That's the only one I've been to--I thought the one here in Arlington was just a book fair. Are there speakers? We went to Houston the yr we started hs'ing (or the yr after?). Anyway...I have fond memories of going, but...I get the impression that other states have much, much better conventions. I'd like to go to, say, Va. ;)

Those of you already here in Texas: do you belong to an homeschool groups? Which ones? We moved here three years ago (from CA), so I only know of one and it's on a break right now.

Do you know I haven't been able to find ONE? A few yrs ago, I contacted several in Irving, went to a park day, but...meetings were rescheduled w/out notice or phone calls/emails weren't returned--I finally gave up.

Since moving to FW...well...I haven't had the time & transportation I did back then. My dc are older, & we need to spend our time hs'ing, lol. And being in seminary housing--lots of people hs. It's like a built-in support group. But still...on the occasion that I have looked here, I still couldn't find one! It could be on my end now, though--fear of commitment, actually going out into the sunlight & seeing people--did I mention I'm a hermit/recluse/vampire? :lol: Come to think of it, I bet they don't want me in their groups! :001_huh: :D

The Texas Homeschool Coalition conference does have speakers. You can probably look up the info on their website. There are actually two conferences in Houston - one in June by SETHSA - Southeast Texas Homeschool Association and the one in July by THSC (used to be in August). The one you attended may have been the one by SETHSA. Since the THSC conference started, the SETHSA conference has gradually gotten smaller in attendance. I'm not sure of all the reasons why but the THSC conference is now more popular with my friends in Houston. I repeat myself - it is much more comfortable and relaxing and therefore, I guess, rejuvenating, being held in a hotel.

I thought the one here in Arlington was just a book fair. Are there speakers? We went to Houston the yr we started hs'ing (or the yr after?). Anyway...I have fond memories of going, but...I get the impression that other states have much, much better conventions. I'd like to go to, say, Va. ;)

Aubrey, There are speakers but I don't spend too much time w/the speakers as I only go for one day. I didn't go to the bookfair for a few years, mostly because I buy too much miscellaneous stuff. However if you preregister by tomorrow (post mark date on your envelope) it's only $5 entry fee so I figure if I pick up my MUS and Latin for Children w/o paying shipping, I've done quite well. There is a charge for parking as well. ($5?) Saturday is less busy than Friday.

I've always wanted to go to the one in the Woodlands.

Anyway...I have fond memories of going, but...I get the impression that other states have much, much better conventions. I'd like to go to, say, Va. ;)

That's the convention I'm registered for - Virginia! That's why I'm thinking about coming back. My SIL is going and we were going to watch kids for each other so that we could attend workshops in peace. (Both of us have infants/toddlers that are too young for the children's program.)

Apryl - how far apart are Dallas and Ft. Worth? My DH's new job is in Ft. Worth, my MIL is in Dallas. We're starting in Dallas because half the point (ok, 75%) of moving to Texas was to be near her. (I'm one of those strange beings who actually loves her MIL and wants to live as close as possible to her - same neighborhood even.) Wondering suddenly if the distance is going to be too much for DH to commute....

DFW is a GREAT place to homeschool! There are so many homeschool groups, and field trip venues, and Classical Conversations groups, etc... you will find your homeschooling community in no time. I'm in the "South Dallas" area, so if you end up in this area PM me and I can help you connect with the local community. :001_smile:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jim Gilbert

The DFW area also has a good sized store for homeschool curriculum. It is in Lewisville, which is northwest of Dallas, between Dallas and Fort Worth (sort of). You can look through curriculum, trade in old curriculum, meet other parents, etc. It's called Homeschool Educators Resource, and they also have a web presence. They have ten to twelve feet of shelving just devoted to Saxon! -Jim Gilbert

Can you tell me where these stores are?! How neat!

OK. There is an awesome homeschool store called Center for Home Education in Watauga (which is a suburb of Fort Worth - on the north side). They have a store, a theater group, acting classes, coffee shop and they have classes - like real classes, not enrichment stuff - they have math and reading, science thru literature, etc. Their website is www.creativeartsinaction.com .

There are some other ones like Mardel's. www.mardel.com There's a Mardel in Fort Worth near the Hulen area and there's one in Denton. They have curriculum like SOS and a ton of miscellaneous workbook stuff - like state studies, etc. They also have a bunch of homeschool administrative stuff - like planners, record binders, calendars, school room decorations, etc.

There are probably other stores here, but these are the ones we've been to. We really like the store in Watauga. They've got a ton o' stuff and the classes are really great.

Another happy DFW homeschooler here!:001_smile: Another homeschool curriculum store is The Book Cover in North Richland Hills (just north of Fort Worth). I am a Fort Worth gal from way back and love it. There are many homeschool support groups and co ops. I am member of a co op here. I think you will love it...and if I had my druthers, I would much rather live in Fort Worth than Dallas (smaller town feel to it but still with a lot to offer).

Guest Cindie2dds
OOPS! Sorry about that - I'll be in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Dallas to start with, but I don't know if we'll ultimately settle in Dallas or Ft. Worth. Everything's happening so quickly - I'm not even supposed to be online right now - I need to be packing!!!

Well, since you are going to be in the D/FW area, Arlington has a crazy big convention every year on Mother's Day Weekend.

Welcome to Texas, the easy State.:seeya:

We just moved to Texas from Washington almost 2 years ago.

Anyone know of homeschooling stores in Austin? Dallas/Fort Worth is a bit far to go to window-shop! (Though I will if I have to, they're supposed to have an awesome children's museum we could check out while there too)