Menu

Waldorf Math?

lovemykids

There are a number of Waldorf math currics. out there. This link will give you a good overview. More specifically ::

Christopherus does have one that starts in 2nd grade. Here's the link for second grade.

Noble Knights of Knowledge is another I've seen mentioned on a lot of waldorf blogs.

Live Ed has one for each year as well.

I've not used any of these programs so can't comment on their effectiveness. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

Edited by shukriyya

Guest Cindie2dds

Thanks for the links. I've never heard of Knights of Knowledge. I'll check it out.

There are a number of Waldorf math currics. out there. This link will give you a good overview. More specifically ::

Christopherus does have one that starts in 2nd grade. Here's the link for second grade.

Noble Knights of Knowledge is another I've seen mentioned on a lot of waldorf blogs.

Live Ed has one for each year as well.

I've not used any of these programs so can't comment on their effectiveness. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

Yes, Christopherus has samples; I am considering that one for second grade at least. I would like to hear some experiences before spending any money. I’m sure I will end up supplementing with workbook type curricula anyway, so I don’t want to spend too much. Dd 9 will most likely stay in TT, but she could use a good Waldorf supplement, while my ds may have Waldorf as his main math next year, with supplemental workbooks (Singapore? Miquon? ). I don’t mind using a small amount of worksheets, but this workbook curriculum is sucking all the joy out of my poor ds when it comes to math. I am not getting to CSMP as much as I should, and I’m not sure that I would use CSMP as anything other than light math entertainment anyway.

We just started using Professor Pig math (Ellen McHenry) and ds has livened up a ton. There is hope.

A Journey Through Waldorf Math, is only $18, and it spans from K-6.

Thanks so much for the links, there are some that I have not heard of. I didn’t realize Noble Knights was considered Waldorf. But I guess you mean that people find it Waldorf friendly. Off to look at the links...

:)

I've used the number stories from A Little Garden Flower and the resources here:

http://ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity%20

She no longer has a direct link to the stories and they are not complete. She has an introduction to numbers, place value with rainbows, addition and subtraction stories. They are really good and the pictures on the sidebar shows you some of the manipulatives she uses.

I also really found this book to be a great resource and well-worth the money:

http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Mathematics-Rudolf-Steiner-Schools/dp/1869890922/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1270378151&sr=8-3-spell

It covers K-8th grade and he is fantastic.

I use the stories to introduce concepts. Then we "notebook" or make a reference book using Waldorf techniques of the the concepts and then we use Singapore to work on the math and Rod and Staff for more practice.

Ron Jarmon believed that the children needed a good amount of practice using math daily in addition to when it was a part of the main lesson.

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to reply. I still can’t make up my mind but at least I have a few more programs to mull over. :)

Noble Knights does look fantastic doesn’t it? Too bad they are having some difficulties. I love all that color, ds would too, I'm sure.

Guest Cindie2dds

What difficulty? I went to their website to look around and didn't notice anything. What am I missing?

ETA: Nevermind, read the link. The last thing I need is to have a program and have no customer service. BTDT with WP, not doing that again. I can't handle the stress. ;)

Edited by Cindie2dds

Before you get too excited about Noble Knights of Knowledge check out this thread.

After reading about it there I emailed them and got no response.

What difficulty? I went to their website to look around and didn't notice anything. What am I missing?

ETA: Nevermind, read the link. The last thing I need is to have a program and have no customer service. BTDT with WP, not doing that again. I can't handle the stress. ;)

Yes, I too feel the need to minimize stress. LOL. Even though the Noble Knight problems are mostly hearsay, I’d rather not take the chance. No response to an email, that’s a big turn off!

My .02 cents, for what it's worth. I have recently decided that Oak Meadow would work really well for ds (maybe both kids) for language arts and math. Unfortunately, I can't currently afford it. Is there anything similiar that might be free?:) Gosh...you'd think Noble Knights, which is sitting on my shelf might do the trick. Maybe it's just me.....I find it overwhelming and confusing. So, have never used it. Hmmmmm.....what about that Christopherus grade one syllabus sitting on my shelf??? Not bad. I will probably end up using this for now. However, Oak Meadow still looks like it will work better for me. So, I personally do not love Noble Knights or Christopherus for math. I need something more clearly laid out. Perhaps I do not have a Waldorf brain. I think ds does, though. So, I will try. At any rate, I do not find either of these resources simple to use.

Woolybear

My .02 cents, for what it's worth. I have recently decided that Oak Meadow would work really well for ds (maybe both kids) for language arts and math. Unfortunately, I can't currently afford it. Is there anything similiar that might be free?:) Gosh...you'd think Noble Knights, which is sitting on my shelf might do the trick. Maybe it's just me.....I find it overwhelming and confusing. So, have never used it. Hmmmmm.....what about that Christopherus grade one syllabus sitting on my shelf??? Not bad. I will probably end up using this for now. However, Oak Meadow still looks like it will work better for me. So, I personally do not love Noble Knights or Christopherus for math. I need something more clearly laid out. Perhaps I do not have a Waldorf brain. I think ds does, though. So, I will try. At any rate, I do not find either of these resources simple to use.

Woolybear

Ha, ha, yup, I’m right there with you. I can’t afford everything that I want to use. Free would be nice. We do have the OM math that’s included w/ the syllabus for ds, but it’s so light and he has already surpassed this grade level that I have. I do not need a guide for him for next year, so I think we will pass on OM for second. These early years for me are mostly unschooled anyway, with spurts of curricula here and there. We can make do with the OM that we do have and use the animal stories that OM recommends for free online.

So you find NK and Christopherus confusing? Hmm. I have enough of confusion w/ CSMP, have you looked there? The games are slightly hard to figure out! Argh. I might have to ask my DH for help, I hate that. LOL. The rest of CSMP though, is fun, and ds loves it. It’s worth a look if you need a different type of math for your son.

I also recommend Professor Pig math, it’s free too, and easy to use! Go to Ellen McHenry’s site. Unfortunately, it’s not completed. Another free resource would be the booklists at Living Math- wonderful stuff there- very engaging. We haven’t done any living math in a few months, but it’s excellent and we all enjoy when we get around to it. I’d love to buy one or two of her guides. Alas, not enough money. :lol:

Thanks for your input.

Woolybear,

I know of some free resources for teaching Waldorf math. In the first grade you teach number values, possibly place value and the four operations (addition, subtraction, muliplication and division).

This yahoo group has great resources in the files section:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/waldorfhomeeducators/?yguid=399751989 Marsha is a purist though so keep that in mind if you decide to post and ask questions.

This site has great math resources. There are 6 lesson with no plans to do any more:

http://ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity/gnomes_and_gnumbers_a_mathematical_tale/

You may be able to find some things here if you do a focus search for math. Look for the articles and pdf files:

http://www.waldorflibrary.org/pg/home/home.asp

I've found some neat number stories here.

I also have a file that matches up the alphabet & number to Grimms if you want to take the story route to introduce the numbers:

http://www.lulu.com/content/1751999 It's free and took me a few days to put together.

Some other excellent resources:

http://www.millennialchild.com/Resources/Articles.html What to do in each grade.

http://www.waldorfteachers.com/gallery/Main+Lesson+Book+Pages/GRADES+1-5/ Main lesson pages for 1-5

I hope this helps. If you want to pm me I can give you a description of what I did for 1st grade math Waldorf style.:001_smile:

Christy--I need to multiquote you and I forgot how. So.....I actually spent about an hour on the yahoogroup you mentioned right after I posted here.

I love Elizabeth Foss' site. I hadn't thought about mathematics from her site, though. I will have to check it out.

I'm going to check those other ones that you mentioned as well. Thank you for the link to your work on Lulu.

I pulled out the Christopherus grade one syllabus today and went through it again. I think I can use this. There is a lot of good info there. I think I just like the way Oak Meadow is layed out better.

I did find a lot of useful information on that Yahoo group. So, for anyone else who is looking for free....it's not bad.:)

Woolybear

Glad I could help. I really like using Waldorf techniques in the early years.

With the numbers, I would tell the fairy tale, then we would bring out the gems and then we would make a page for the number where we would write the word, the number, the roman numeral version and then draw a picture (rainbow for 7, circle for 1, eyes for 2, triangle for 3, etc.)

Then the stories from Serendipity are great for teaching the four operations.

Christopherous is supposed to be pretty good. :001_smile:

So many choices! And ds just wants to do "math on the computer" like his sisters. Problem is, TT math just doesn't cut it by itself and I need something to keep me accountable so that I stay on track w/ games etc.

My dd nine did so well when we stopped all math workbooks and I worked w/ her one on one. (games etc.) But then she started TT 5 and now she has forgotten a ton of stuff that I taught her. :blink:

Hopefully, Waldorf math to the rescue. :)

Thanks for all the replies. (ds two is getting pizza all over me! gotta run) :auto:

Guest Cindie2dds

This yahoo group has great resources in the files section:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/waldorfhomeeducators/?yguid=399751989 Marsha is a purist though so keep that in mind if you decide to post and ask questions.

Found this out when I was told Oak Meadow was not Waldorf. ;)

I hope this helps. If you want to pm me I can give you a description of what I did for 1st grade math Waldorf style.:001_smile:

Sending you a pm.....

Yes, thanks, is there any more information about this Making Math Meaningful, Waldorf curriculum???:bigear:

How long have you used this math? It looks very interesting. I like something more concrete, but Waldorf-ish, as a supplement to Miquon. Concrete/Waldorf, oxymoron maybe? ;) Thank you for the link!

I believe that a good Waldorf/Miquon mix sounds lovely. But then I love to mix educational styles... If only they sold Miqoun CDs, I’d be all set. (ds is hooked on the computer) :001_rolleyes:

Ideally, I’d like to drop TT math altogether for my two youngest school age kiddos, and delve into the world of Waldorf. I think it will be particularly helpful for my non- mathy dd, Christopherus grade four sounds perfect for her.

Guest Cindie2dds
Yes, thanks, is there any more information about this Making Math Meaningful, Waldorf curriculum???:bigear:

Me too! :lurk5:

I believe that a good Waldorf/Miquon mix sounds lovely. But then I love to mix educational styles... If only they sold Miqoun CDs, I’d be all set. (ds is hooked on the computer)

I have to drag Rella off the computer. I don't let her on very often because it's like an abyss she won't return from. I'm not true Waldorf; I mix often too! I consider myself a Waldorf/Charlotte Mason in the early years. I think this comes somewhat from a case of curriculum indecision. :lol: I really like Ambleside Online, but I have thoroughly enjoyed Oak Meadow. I'm combining the two, although I thought it would drive me insane at first. It's actually working out quite nicely. I've planned out next year to include about 80% of AO 1 with OM 1 as our foundation. I need some structure, and the weekly lesson plans of both make sense to me. We'll see...... Sorry to digress.

I have to drag Rella off the computer. I don't let her on very often because it's like an abyss she won't return from. I'm not true Waldorf; I mix often too! I consider myself a Waldorf/Charlotte Mason in the early years. I think this comes somewhat from a case of curriculum indecision. :lol: I really like Ambleside Online, but I have thoroughly enjoyed Oak Meadow. I'm combining the two, although I thought it would drive me insane at first. It's actually working out quite nicely. I've planned out next year to include about 80% of AO 1 with OM 1 as our foundation. I need some structure, and the weekly lesson plans of both make sense to me. We'll see...... Sorry to digress.

I feel the same way; just pretend like that is your decision and no one will know any different. :tongue_smilie:

I can't use any curriculum as written. Period, that's just the way it is.

Okay, I’ve decided (after talking it over w/ ds) that we will do a blend of Miquon, CSMP, and a Waldorf supplement. He will wait until third grade to start TT 5, and then probably continue w/ Miquon and CSMP, until LOF starts and Miquon ends. For computer right now, we have those links from MM-good enough! Wow, so much better than Abeka or Horizons. Whew! Although- it sounds a little crazy typed out like that. :001_huh:

A nice multi-grade level Waldorf math supplement will fit the bill here. Is there a place to read Waldorf math reviews? :bigear:

Guest Cindie2dds
I've heard lots of good things about it. But, we are really happy with MUS and I already have all the books from the oldest. I think ALGF would probably be a good supplemental math.

Thanks. This is the hardest part about math. When it's working fine, don't touch it! Miquon is working great for us as a foundation, but I would like to do something in addition to make sure she looks at it from all angles. I have a dd that really enjoys math and asks for more. We've progressed as far as I'm comfortable with right now, so I'd like to add something else in the mean time. Making Math Meaningful and MEP are the two I'm really looking at now.

Thanks! (by the way, I like your new avatar. Great hair!)

I've heard lots of good things about it. But, we are really happy with MUS and I already have all the books from the oldest. I think ALGF would probably be a good supplemental math.

Yes, thank you.

Thanks. This is the hardest part about math. When it's working fine, don't touch it! Miquon is working great for us as a foundation, but I would like to do something in addition to make sure she looks at it from all angles. I have a dd that really enjoys math and asks for more. We've progressed as far as I'm comfortable with right now, so I'd like to add something else in the mean time. Making Math Meaningful and MEP are the two I'm really looking at now.

!)

I'm so glad to hear that you feel like Miquon is laying a strong foundation.

Abeka is just not cutting it for my ds, he does much better with games and creative math approaches. He just wants to do "the hard stuff". Abeka has slowed him down more than anything.

Oh, thought I’d mention that I was drawing blanks when it came to the string games on CSMP, but I didn’t actually go over it that much. It’s really not hard at all, didn’t want to scare anyone away from CSMP- it’s very fun, and easy to implement. Not exactly Waldorf, but excellent anyway. :lol:

Also bumping this thread for other Waldorf math folks out there, but I am leaning towards ALFG as a supplement.

Thanks again!:)

Went back to the Elizabeth Foss site and really looked at her math. I think this will be great with my seven year old. Actually, I think there's some there that will be good with my nine yo too. So, maybe for now I'm covered. Thank you! For slightly older I am interested in ALGF.

Lovemykids, if you get this, let me know what you think.

Woolybear

• 7 months later...

I'm used A Little Garden Flower's Journey through Math this past year in addition to Rod and Staff Grade 2 math workbooks. We had a really nice year. I would present concepts with ALGF and she would have them reinforced through R&S.

When we got to the addition problems on regrouping, I drew houses around the problems so she could put the extra people in the attic.

I've been happy with the progress this year. You can see what we did on my blog by going through my weekly reports and/or math posts.:001_smile:

I feel the same way; just pretend like that is your decision and no one will know any different. :tongue_smilie:

I can't use any curriculum as written. Period, that's just the way it is.

Okay, I’ve decided (after talking it over w/ ds) that we will do a blend of Miquon, CSMP, and a Waldorf supplement. He will wait until third grade to start TT 5, and then probably continue w/ Miquon and CSMP, until LOF starts and Miquon ends. For computer right now, we have those links from MM-good enough! Wow, so much better than Abeka or Horizons. Whew! Although- it sounds a little crazy typed out like that. :001_huh:

A nice multi-grade level Waldorf math supplement will fit the bill here. Is there a place to read Waldorf math reviews? :bigear:

You are no doubt aware I'm a big fan of Miquon so I think that it is a great choice for the kind of approach you seem to be looking for. CSMP also has a vast amount of interesting resources.

There is one other thing you might check out (something I have not tried so no "first-hand knowledge here), the Art of Problem solving folks distribute a series called "Kitchen Table Math", it looks interesting and might be up your alley.

Bill