Menu

So Happy My Son Can Read But...

it can also be a curse. We stopped by the gas station for a drink on the way to co-op today. As we were checking out, a teenager walks in with a shirt on that says "*u%k you and the ship you just sailed in on".:w00t: Well, DS proceeds to read the shirt OUT LOUD and then LOUDLY asks what does '*u#k" mean? All eyes in the store just came to rest on us :svengo:.

That made for an interesting discussion once we got to the car.

Our 'jaw dropping moment' was more of a 'jaw dropping hour-and-a-half'.

Let me explain..... we were driving down I-75 in Florida to Walt Disney World with our kids. Ds had just started reading words longer than four or five letters, so he was reading everything he could. Well, there are some very 'colorful' billboards along the way, and it seemed as if he would just finish reading one when we would arrive at the next one. He kept reading things like 'couples welcome' and 'adult toys' and 'adult videos' and 'XXX videos'. Talk about horrible!!! The questions he asked were getting harder to answer, and what made it worse was three year old sister sitting there listening to every word!!!! There was no distracting him, either, because he just "knew" something was odd about them.... I'm sure the scantily clad, provocatively posed & pouting ladies had something to do with that! Oh, how we wished for an alternate route!!!

I absolutely HATE that stretch of road!!!

And what about having to stand between your 4 year old daughter and the condom-dispensing machines in the QuikTrip bathroom? Not a conversation one wants to have with a 4 yo!

Terri

:glare: Public restrooms are terrible.

Our 'jaw dropping moment' was more of a 'jaw dropping hour-and-a-half'.

Let me explain..... we were driving down I-75 in Florida to Walt Disney World with our kids. Ds had just started reading words longer than four or five letters, so he was reading everything he could. Well, there are some very 'colorful' billboards along the way, and it seemed as if he would just finish reading one when we would arrive at the next one. He kept reading things like 'couples welcome' and 'adult toys' and 'adult videos' and 'XXX videos'. Talk about horrible!!! The questions he asked were getting harder to answer, and what made it worse was three year old sister sitting there listening to every word!!!! There was no distracting him, either, because he just "knew" something was odd about them.... I'm sure the scantily clad, provocatively posed & pouting ladies had something to do with that! Oh, how we wished for an alternate route!!!

I absolutely HATE that stretch of road!!!

Eek! I'll have to remember to never take that road ever.

I feel your pain. In the grocery store the other day, my 8 year old asked me what it meant to be stoned. I told her we would discuss it in the car. I told her it meant the same as being drunk on alcohol but with other drugs. She got confused and I asked her where she heard that word. She said that Linus in a Charlie Brown comic made a comment about not wanting to be "stoned" by the people for whatever reason. She meant literally "stoned" as in to death by rocks. She had no idea what I was talking about. I guess I will ask before I speak next time. :lol: