Menu

For those using MFW, do you use the suggested language arts or choose your own?

angela&4boys

My dc are a little younger than yours (K, 1st & 2nd). We don't use the suggested LA.

2 of my dc are using CLE

1 is using BJU

My 2nd and 1st grader are also using Spelling Power and doing a reading comprehension workbook.

We also don't use the recommended math. I guess I'm just a rebel!

We used PLL for 2nd grade and it was fine for that level IMO. Very gentle introduction to L. Arts and did not require much work. We started Rod & Staff in 3rd and now are using R&S for 4th grade. I wanted a more structured traditional program and my dd does well with it. We use R&S for spelling - I wanted a program that she could use independently.

Next year my 7th grader will use MFW EXP1850 and for Grammar he will use Saxon Grammar & Writing Grade 6 . It also includes Vocabulary. I am really struggling here as what to use for him.

I'm also thinking of using AG with The Father's Books for writing: Essays and Research Reports Level A (you have to scroll down to see it)

AG does not include when to add suffixes and such or Voca. so I'm using it in the summers though.

I did order Saxon Grammar & Writing/Hake's Grammar and plan to order The Father's Books writing program to see which route to go with regards to writing.

Spelling is SWR with Apples Daily Spelling Drills. He will eventually start Megawords but probably not till next summer. Don't want to overload the poor guy;)

For reading my son will complete two Progeny Press Guides during half a year and the other half will use CLE Reading.

That's where we are at for Jr. High (Yikes :eek: my kid is going to be a Jr. Higher)

I used MFW's language arts. Of course, I'm the weirdo on the internet who likes Writing Strands and even wrote notes to help others who are ready to throw it out. but not trying to keep you with something you don't like. just saying I'm the lone weirdo who likes it. :lol:

You're doing EX1850 next year if I remember? Have you considered the idea of something like IEW's history themed units to use? Those are going to cover a lot of writing skills.

And if you aren't keen on the grammar choice -- well, it might help to know what you're not keen about All in One series so that other suggestions might work better?

The other MFW component at 7th grade level is Progeny Press. I like those.

-crystal

I guess I'm just a rebel!

I think all we homeschoolers are rebels at heart.;)

We used PLL for 2nd grade and it was fine for that level IMO. Very gentle introduction to L. Arts and did not require much work. We started Rod & Staff in 3rd and now are using R&S for 4th grade. I wanted a more structured traditional program and my dd does well with it. We use R&S for spelling - I wanted a program that she could use independently.

I have R & S in my possession. I may use it for the composition instruction alone.

Next year my 7th grader will use MFW EXP1850...

That's where we are at for Jr. High (Yikes :eek: my kid is going to be a Jr. Higher)

We'll be using EXP to 1850 too. :) And lol. I'm a little intimidated by the whole Jr. High thing myself.

I used MFW's language arts. Of course, I'm the weirdo on the internet who likes Writing Strands and even wrote notes to help others who are ready to throw it out. but not trying to keep you with something you don't like. just saying I'm the lone weirdo who likes it. :lol:

You're doing EX1850 next year if I remember? Have you considered the idea of something like IEW's history themed units to use? Those are going to cover a lot of writing skills.

And if you aren't keen on the grammar choice -- well, it might help to know what you're not keen about All in One series so that other suggestions might work better?

The other MFW component at 7th grade level is Progeny Press. I like those.

-crystal

Lol, crystal. But probably the wise weirdo! ;)

Ad yes, we'll be using Exp to 1850. However, this ds used SWI A last year and the Medieval Based History Lesson this year. He just found it way too tedious.

It looks like I may just stick with CLE LA, adding in R & S for composition. I definitely like the looks of Progeny Press. It's on my list to check out at our state convention in May.

Thanks so much, everyone! :) I [heart] MFW.

For the younger grades I use WWE and FLL 1-4

I do use their spelling recommendations, R&S 2 in 2nd and Spelling Power grades 3rd and up

For the older grades I use Analytical Grammar, IEW, and Progeny Press lit guides.

We use WTM recommendations for grammar and writing so for us that means Rod and Staff and writing a la SWB.

We did.. we wont next year. It just wasnt a good fit. :) (Pll and SP) So we'll use SWO, FLL, and Im trying WS before ordering WWE

Okay, Mamas. More questions, pretty please? :)

How do you practically apply what you've chosen? Meaning when the grid has "English" for the first three days and "Writing Strands" for the last two, where, or should I say, how do you plug your choices in? Or do you consider how much writing they will have each week that's already contained within the program? Hope I'm making sense. It's late. ;) I just don't want to exasperate them with writing and grammar, but I don't want to underestimate their abilities either.

(I can hear crystal saying, "That's why I use what Marie's already chosen." ):tongue_smilie:

Your thoughts are immensely appreciated!

(I can hear crystal saying, "That's why I use what Marie's already chosen." )

LOL....:lol: (I have to stop laughing to type)

Even though I use what Marie's already chosen, there are still times with those choices that I scale back or play mix and match. If there is a longer writing assignment in ILL (intermediate language lessons), I might trim back and not do a dictation lesson from the unit study (like Bible memory verse will just be recited instead of one more dictation/copywork that day), or we haven't written a lot of letters this year either (one of the unit study ideas in ECC and ctg at least). and I'm at a point in the year, where we've sat down ILL for a while to do more writing exercises.

When my oldest was juggling Progeny Press and grammar book and writing strands.... hmmm... I let her mix and match as needed and she got to plan it out some times.

There were some weeks she'd work in her grammar book (Applications of Grammar) for 2 or 3 weeks in a row at 5 days a week, while also reading Progeny Press materials for 4 or 5. Then we'd take a break from literature. and do some WS assignments for a week.

I figure she's in book 6 of WS, so it's ok....

-crystal

LOL....:lol: (I have to stop laughing to type)

Even though I use what Marie's already chosen, there are still times with those choices that I scale back or play mix and match. If there is a longer writing assignment in ILL (intermediate language lessons), I might trim back and not do a dictation lesson from the unit study (like Bible memory verse will just be recited instead of one more dictation/copywork that day), or we haven't written a lot of letters this year either (one of the unit study ideas in ECC and ctg at least). and I'm at a point in the year, where we've sat down ILL for a while to do more writing exercises.

When my oldest was juggling Progeny Press and grammar book and writing strands.... hmmm... I let her mix and match as needed and she got to plan it out some times.

There were some weeks she'd work in her grammar book (Applications of Grammar) for 2 or 3 weeks in a row at 5 days a week, while also reading Progeny Press materials for 4 or 5. Then we'd take a break from literature. and do some WS assignments for a week.

I figure she's in book 6 of WS, so it's ok....

-crystal

Thank you for a peak into how you approach la, crystal. It's very helpful and relieves me a bit in terms of tweaking some according to the workload. :)

Thank you for a peak into how you approach la, crystal. It's very helpful and relieves me a bit in terms of tweaking some according to the workload. :)

you're welcome...

giggle.. there are even times that we play catch up on Friday or Saturday with our unit study.

and some day when they move out of the house... I might clean.

nah.

-crystal

Hi Angela,

I'm not a MFW user, but thought I would post because I'm planning to use CLE LA next year as well.... and I keep playing around with what to plug in for writing. I would like to use Lost Tools of Writing someday, but I don't think it will be next year. I'm thinking about trying WordSmith Apprentice hoping it will be gentle, appealing, for my will-be 6th grader. Although I don't use MFW, I do prepare a grid-like schedule for him each week - I try to alternate LA and writing assignments.... So, going by MFW's grid maybe you could do CLE LA for the 3 English days and whatever you figure out for writing on the 2 Writing Strands days. If you think that won't be enough writing, you could always flip-flop it every other week. If it means I lack time for a light unit or two - I'm not too worried about it - we'll just keep plugging through and possibly switch to AG for 8th/9th grades.

P.S. I've also considered R&S for the composition lessons alone. If you end up doing that I would love to hear how it goes!

Okay, Mamas. More questions, pretty please? :)

How do you practically apply what you've chosen? Meaning when the grid has "English" for the first three days and "Writing Strands" for the last two, where, or should I say, how do you plug your choices in? Or do you consider how much writing they will have each week that's already contained within the program? Hope I'm making sense. It's late. ;) I just don't want to exasperate them with writing and grammar, but I don't want to underestimate their abilities either.

(I can hear crystal saying, "That's why I use what Marie's already chosen." ):tongue_smilie:

Your thoughts are immensely appreciated!

We just use Rod & Staff every day, we don't do writing strands because R&S has enough, but my son is only in 5th grade. We do use ILL also, on a day it has writing and R&S has writing, we skip ILL.

Kim

This is our first year hsing and we are using MFW ECC. I really like MFW a lot! However, not all the recommendations have worked for us. I used Singapore with my older dd and it is great. Next year I am going to add in some Life of Fred between Singapore books for my older dd. I used Horizons for my younger two and we will be switching them to Singapore next year :001_smile:

We tried ILL but didn't care for it. We have been using R&S (which I like a lot) but I am trying to decide if we will stick with that or switch to CLE LAs next year. (Only because my girls prefer a workbook style approach)

We also didn't like Writing Strands. I haven't done any formal writing program with them this year but I am trying to decide what to do. I found "Training for Triumph - Meaningful Composition " and I really like the looks of it. I just haven't decided yet -- so many choices!! :)

Also we started out with Sequential Spelling and NONE of us liked that! We switched to Spelling Power (MFW recommendation) and everyone is content with it. I use www.spellingcity.com for any words they miss. They love getting some computer play time :001_smile:

Good luck in your decisions!!

Hi Angela,

I'm not a MFW user, but thought I would post because I'm planning to use CLE LA next year as well.... and I keep playing around with what to plug in for writing. I would like to use Lost Tools of Writing someday, but I don't think it will be next year. I'm thinking about trying WordSmith Apprentice hoping it will be gentle, appealing, for my will-be 6th grader. Although I don't use MFW, I do prepare a grid-like schedule for him each week - I try to alternate LA and writing assignments.... So, going by MFW's grid maybe you could do CLE LA for the 3 English days and whatever you figure out for writing on the 2 Writing Strands days. If you think that won't be enough writing, you could always flip-flop it every other week. If it means I lack time for a light unit or two - I'm not too worried about it - we'll just keep plugging through and possibly switch to AG for 8th/9th grades.

P.S. I've also considered R&S for the composition lessons alone. If you end up doing that I would love to hear how it goes!

Thanks for your thoughts, Lynn. And I'll let you know how R & S goes if we go that route. It's likely we will. I like their no-nonsense composition instruction. And as for CLE, we've given it a trial run and the boys have done very well with it. The have not retained much in the way of parts of speech, so the spiral review has been excellent.

However, another option I'm contemplating at this point (at least for our 7th grader) is a Daily Grams and Jump In combination. I like the daily review of grammar and punctuation in DG. It's a practical amount. And I also like the non-threatening, incremental approach to writing in Jump In.

Ackk! Decisions! :001_huh:

Thanks zookeeper and Jessa Mae.

CLE really is working well here. I think that we'll just stick with it. It covers grammar and spelling for both of them. I love that the instruction is included within the workbook. (We don't use the penmanship as the boys use GB Italic.)

I suppose it's really only the composition that I am wavering about. At the very least, I've narrowed that down to Jump In or R & S. Working in the confines of MFW, R & S seems to be better fit but I'll take a closer look at our upcoming state convention.

This year we are using Rod & Staff English, Writing With Ease, All About Spelling, and Handwriting Without Tears.

Did you do WWE with your older kids too? I was going to use it and I didn't realize the Logic stage book isn't out yet. Is it still worth buying?

As for us, we just started EX1850 about a month ago and I didn't switch any of our other stuff. We didn't like Singapore when we tried it in 1st grade, we use A Beka now. Spelling Power was very frustrating to me and dd didn't learn any spelling skills, but we love PLL. With my youngest (2nd next year) I'll do Spelling Workout and PLL, and with my oldest (5th) I'll do Spelling Workout, Rod and Staff for Grammar and I own Write With the Best, but I really think it's for an older group say 7-8th grade. I looked at WWE (it was suggested to me :D) and I'm in love. But, the Peacehill press books are always a year behind my oldest :tongue_smilie:. Back to Rod and Staff, I find their composition work to be too scattered, and I'd like more poetry study. I love them for 4th grade grammar on up. They really do give a firm foundation.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Did you do WWE with your older kids too? I was going to use it and I didn't realize the Logic stage book isn't out yet. Is it still worth buying?

Yes, I used it with them. My oldest is in 7th and is nearly done with WWE 3. I aim to have him be done with WWE 4 by the end of our school year.

I was able to use it with them because they had not mastered the skills in WWE. Next year I will have them do the outlining and such that SWB recommends. I'll move my 6th and 8th graders (next year) along at a faster pace than I will my 5th grader.