Menu

What to bring?

Dh and I have been invited to spend an afternoon at another family's house. We do not know them very well at all but are hoping this will be the start of a new friendship. :)

I don't really want to go empty-handed but have no clue what to bring since we're not going for a meal or anything.:confused: Some flowers? A pie? Cookies? Beer? lol. I don't bake at. all. so fresh baking is definitely out of the question. :)

I would want to take something...

Are dc involved?

Snacks and drinks for all the kiddos is always a good idea.

Otherwise a tray of cookies would be good.

You can just buy them and put them on a tray if you don't bake.

Oh, that's a thought. I could bring over some ice cream and cones for the kiddos maybe. Hmmmm.

Dh and I have been invited to spend an afternoon at another family's house. We do not know them very well at all but are hoping this will be the start of a new friendship. :)

I don't really want to go empty-handed but have no clue what to bring since we're not going for a meal or anything.:confused: Some flowers? A pie? Cookies? Beer? lol. I don't bake at. all. so fresh baking is definitely out of the question. :)

If you've been following other threads you could take Chilean sea bass. ;) Just kidding, hope you had/have a great time. A dessert would be appropriate I think.

I like to bring something that can either be consumed immediately or plunked into the fridge as a hostess gift. A wedge of some really good cheese is great for that, all wrapped in a bow.

Sugar gifts are either very welcome or anathema, IME. If you know that they won't be anathema, a quick bread is easy and thoughtful. (Nut bread, or something like that.) Cookies are good, as others have said.

Telephone and ask, "What can I bring?"

You can even suggest, "Do you want us to bring dessert or a bottle of wine?"

In my case, our home is a dry home....so I'd ask/offer first. Also,when I hostess, I often have a specific dessert in mind....and I am petty enough to resent the competition. :mad::001_smile:

Some families have food allergies, so if you choose to bring food/dessert, be sure to ask if there are any likes/dislikes/allergies that you need to know about.

If none of these suggestions work for your situation, you can't go wrong with flowers for the cook. Heck, if someone is good enough to cook for me (and do the dishes afterwards), they're getting flowers!!!!

Telephone and ask, "What can I bring?"

Also,when I hostess, I often have a specific dessert in mind....and I am petty enough to resent the competition. :mad::001_smile:

See, this is why I bring something that can be used right then or not. To me, that is a polite hostess gift, in that it doesn't shriek for use at that meal but rather is more of a present.

Wine can be like that as well, if you're sure you're in a non-dry household.

Bringing something freshly made that is in an open dish is not polite unless it is expected...it kind of implies that you didn't think the hostess was going to prepare an adequate meal so you brought a little something just in case. But bringing something freshly made that is sealed up and can go right into the fridge, freezer, or larder is thoughtful and more like a present. Then the hostess has the choice of whether or not to serve it.

I'd bring a quick bread all wrapped up. That way if there are allergies or they don't want it, she doesn't have to serve it and can set it on the counter and move on. But if it's welcome she can open it up and serve everyone some. That way you aren't showing up empty handed.

Or, if you want to avoid food, the lillies at the grocery store are so gorgeous, I'd love to get one this time of year!

Often, my mother brings a colorful dishrag/towel set. Sometimes it has a holiday theme (Christmas, Halloween, etc).

Again, don't let your feelings be hurt if the hostess doesn't like it. (My mom has one friend who doesn't like this gift because it does not match the decorating interior of her home). :lol: You are being a good guest to make an attempt and be thoughtful.