Menu

What to do before MCT?

lindsrae

I love how MCT looks; however, my daughter will be in kindergarten. What do you recommend before 3rd grade and starting MCT language arts? I got a copy of FLL at the library today. Just flipping through...it looks ok...hard to know how it works in practice I guess. I was looking for actual "art" for picture study I suppose, and maybe a little more in the way of the poetry. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I was looking for some really outstanding pieces and was rather disappointed with the selections. Anything else that is up to par with MCT?

Personally, I'm planning on using EFTTC (loosely) in 2nd grade and then starting MCT in 3rd. My dd7 loves to write stories, so I'll just encourage that and try to set aside some time each week to help her "edit" some things here or there (pointing out basic punctuation or grammar rules.) I think between those two activities, she'll get plenty of formal grammar and writing for 2nd grade.

(In 1st grade, we've done no formal LA other than spelling, handwriting & reading. . . and I am happy with this.)

I've used EFTTC happily in the past, and I think it'll be a nice introduction to the basic parts of speech, etc. My dd WANTS to do grammar, so I will go ahead and use it, starting sometime soon and running through 2nd grade.

I'd imagine that one could totally skip grammar and formal writing in the early years and just start MCT in 3rd or 4th grade just fine. . . (especially if you listen to & believe SWB's grammar stage writing mp3!)

I think my recommendation would be Writing with Ease. As for grammar, I don't know that you need anything before starting MCT. My oldest had done most of Growing with Grammar (GWG) grade 4 before starting MCT. My other son, had done about maybe up to lesson 40 in FLL before starting MCT and had no problems. Since he's young, I would back up several pages and review (re-read the stories, talk about important points "What did Mudd learn yesterday?") and then continue on, and he was fine with it.

We have followed a mostly non-curricula based route with respect to grammar in the younger years ala CM and Waldorf. We used FLL for a few lessons, but stopped as it became somewhat dry. I did, however, use it as reference.

What did work (for us) was using a combination of Grammarland by Nesbit, Ruth Heller books, and Brian Cleary series, and inspiration from Elizabeth Foss's Serendipity blog.

Our focus during the k-2 years, like others have said, is really firming up the children's phonics, reading and handwriting. The composition element has mostly been through narrations (oral at first), then jointly (me and child) composed summaries. It has worked for us. Also my children like to do Madlibs, so we just keep a bunch around to do as a free time activity.

We did/are doing phonics, handwriting, copywork, and reading aloud for Language Arts before beginning MCT. My DD began the Island level this year; she's at approximately third grade. The sum total of formal grammar preparation that I did consisted of buying and viewing the Grammar Rock cartoons and playing the Schoolhouse Rock CD for my kids. We haven't had any comprehension issues with MCT--on the contrary, her literature background has exposed her to a great deal of language, and she's ready to analyze the patterns within it.

We're currently doing WWE 1 and FLL. I'm still debating whether to keep doing FLL. We started it because I already owned it. We've been skipping lessons and dd had the poem memorized by the second day. Maybe we'll just condense the lessons even more. If you are looking for picture study you might try the Come Look With Me Series. That's what we'll be doing if I decide to drop FLL. As far as poems to memorize, you could just get a big poetry anthology (We like Favorite Poems Old and New) and pick out poems yourself. Or better yet, let your dc pick! For grammar, I'd suggest the Ruth Heller and Brian Cleary grammar series plus Madlibs. We might also try English for the Thoughtful Child. As another way to sneak grammar in you could start Latin. We're doing Song School Latin now and will probably start Minimus and Prima Latina (with lots of hands-on activities and games added in) by fall. One other thing that we'll be doing before we start MCT is the Classical Writing Primer series.

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

My first grader is doing WWE. We were doing FLL, but I was having trouble fitting everything in in (not for him, but for him AND his two brothers), so we've dropped in favor of making sure to give reading and math plenty of time. I'm focusing a bit more on the grammar in WWE now, though. Other than that, he's just started IEW's Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization with his older brother (although I'm not sure how that will go once the poems get longer; I may sub in shorter ones for him), we read fun books about grammar from the library sometimes, and we all do a poem of the day and a word of the day in the mornings.

We used (still are using) WWE. We were doing FLL too (ds#1 is in FLL 3 and ds#1 is doing FLL 1), but both have been asking to skip FLL and do MCT Grammar Island instead. WWE 1-4 will still stay in place (ds#1 is working through WWE 3 and will go into WWE 4; ds#2 is in WWE 1 and will progress through at least WWE 3, depending on how much of the Island level, and subsequent levels he does with ds#1; ds#3 will do WWE on schedule as ds#2 is doing now).

Bill, i think it is English For The Thoughtful Child :)

Thank you :001_smile:

Yes, EFTTC = English for the Thoughtful Child. It was TWTM recc for 1st (maybe 2nd, also) grade grammar/writing/memory/etc back in the 1st & maybe 2nd editions, before FLL & WWE existed.

Anything more you care to share about it? I'm struggling over what to do between now (kindergarten) and MCT.

Bill

Anything more you care to share about it? I'm struggling over what to do between now (kindergarten) and MCT.

Bill

Here is a link to the book on Amazon, with some reviews. The edition I have is now sold as "volume 1" as they came out with a second volume a few years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/English-Thoughtful-Child-Vol-Mary/dp/1882514076

Looking at my EFTTC. . .

There are 62 lessons.

They vary from basic grammar/punctuation/writing lessons to picture study to poem memorization to narration/"oral composition". It is very gentle and mostly intended to be done orally, sitting on the couch, or whatever. There are a few exercises in which the child is intended to write a few sentences or mark up a passage, but those could largely be done orally as well if you wish. It is not scripted, but it is easy to follow.

Most of the lessons can be easily taught in one short sitting (5 -15 min?), with the memorization projects taking a few days/weeks to master after that initial, of course. If you spend 20 min 2x or 3x a week with it, you'll surely cover it in a school year or less.

This is not definitive. . . but looking at the ToC, here is a sampling of the topics covered over the 62 lessons (Note that each line item might be taught over several lessons at different times. . . e.g., statements in l.2, questions in l.4, commands in l.7, exclamations in l. 9. . .etc. Also note that I am NOT listing them in order taught.)

+ What is a Sentence

+ What is a Paragraph

+ Statements, Questions, Commands, Exclamations

+ Nouns

+ Proper nouns including capitalization, punctuation rules & abbreviations (names, dates, name titles, addresses, etc)

+ "I"

+ Names of days of week -- memory + capitalization

+ Names of months -- memory + capitalization (including memorization of a cute poem on which ones have how many days!)

+ Seasons

+ Letter writing (including addresses)

+ Is, Are, Was, Were

+ Contractions

+ Quotation Marks

+++ Interspersed with the above topics are numerous lessons "oral composition" lessons, picture study, dictation, poetry memorization, etc.

Personally, I found it very gentle and yet effective in introducting some basic grammar rules. I can't see why I'd want any MORE at this age, so that is why I'll go with it for dd7 until MCT.

HTH,

Stephanie

Has anyone seen the Aesop's Fables books by rfwp? They aren't written by MCT, but, they do sound like they could be an interesting start. The grade range that they give is from 1-4. link

Here's the beginning of the description on their website:

Aesop's Fables Books About Reading, Writing, Thinking

In four volumes, these bright and colorful books are designed for early reading, writing and thinking and provide a year's enrichment.

I haven't seen these, I just happened to come across them while I was on their website investigating MCT.

Amanda

I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do, right now I'm trying to decide b/w FLL, GrammerLand or Language Smarts by CTC. I'm leaning towards FLL since I already have it, I also like that it's mostly oral as ds1 still struggles with writing.

EFTTC looks interesting, I may have to try to get my hands on a copy to flip through.

Has anyone seen the Aesop's Fables books by rfwp? They aren't written by MCT, but, they do sound like they could be an interesting start. The grade range that they give is from 1-4. link

In four volumes, these bright and colorful books are designed for early reading, writing and thinking and provide a year's enrichment.

I haven't seen these, I just happened to come across them while I was on their website investigating MCT.

Amanda

I own the first book in this series but I can't seem to find it right now. DD works in it some days during her quiet time. Each section of the book starts off with an Aesop fable to read. Then there is a picture to color and space to write a sentence about the story. There are 2 (I think) more pages for each section that focus on a part of speech or another language concept, usually in the same theme as the story. That's all I can remember. Hopefully the book with show up soon. It's proabably on the kids' book shelf. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Amanda

I have the first few books, but haven't used them yet.