Menu

Shall we try this again: health care Bill

I don't believe he ever actually "said" that... otherwise a staffer would have replied to one of several inquiries we made during the campaign. He was actually silent on this issue specifically. People have inferred he would keep them.

The only expansion I have found is on the earned income tax credit, with reference to the deduction for dependents -- which is a separate issue (at least that is what I have been told).

Politifact lists "Will extend aspects of the Bush tax cuts such as child credit expansions and changes to marriage bonuses and penalties." as Barack Obama Campaign Promise #4 and cites interviews with the Tax Policy Center as its source.

Oh crud...hang on...the CNN article is talking about child CARE tax credits. Although it also says the 2011 budget will keep all tax cuts for incomes under $200,000 which would seem to suggest the child-tax credit will stay the same. So last specific reference I've seen is from the 2010 budget (on politifact). More googling....

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Politifact lists "Will extend aspects of the Bush tax cuts such as child credit expansions and changes to marriage bonuses and penalties." as Barack Obama Campaign Promise #4 and cites interviews with the Tax Policy Center as its source.

Oh crud...hang on...the CNN article is talking about child CARE tax credits. Although it also says the 2011 budget will keep all tax cuts for incomes under $200,000 which would seem to suggest the child-tax credit will stay the same. So last specific reference I've seen is from the 2010 budget (on politifact). More googling....

Yeah... been googling a lot, and often LOL

The more I learn about this bill, the more I realize that it is just going to hurt my family. I live in a state that can't afford our current medicaid load and we are in a higher tax bracket that already gets nailed on both the state and federal level. My husband works for the state and his job could become threatened if the state has to make cuts to pay for this health care.

I have a high deductible plan with an HSA that we like. We have worked hard to get where we are, made sacrifices for our children and the government wants to take it away from us. The government sticking its nose into health care with HIPAA has already caused far too many problems, including I believe being instrumental in my father's death last year. It's even more frustrating knowing that my vote truly doesn't matter as no one I voted for voted for this mess.

Okay, first link that comes up if you search 2011 budget child tax credit is from the Tax Policy Center; "expand refundability of child tax credit" is listed as a proposal in the 2011 budget. Then it lists permanent expansion of 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, and in that section specifies aspects of those tax cuts, including the child tax credit, that the President is proposing making permanent.

So his budget "assumes" those things, but doesn't "stipulate" those things?

Not being snarky -- but assume is a big leap from "making permanent."

Wouldn't it take some sort of actual legislation?

The President sends the budget to Congress; Congress has to approve it. So it means he wants them, but doesn't know for sure what he'll get yet, is my understanding of it. The 2011 budget hasn't been approved yet.

Here is what I found on Politifact

They list it as "Obama Campaign Promise #4"

Obama keeps Bush's child tax credits and marriage penalty fixes

Updated: Thursday, March 5th, 2009

President Obama has said he would roll back the Bush tax cuts on higher incomes, meaning $200,000 in income for singles and $250,000 for couples. But he intends to leave in place the Bush tax cuts for everyone who makes less than that.

In the case of this particular promise, the outline for Obama's 2010 budget shows he intends to keep expansions of the child tax credit, as well as adjustments that do away with a marriage penalty for couples who file jointly. These exemptions would phase out for people at higher incomes, who will see hefty rate increases under the Obama plan.

When the tax cuts were first enacted in 2001 and again in 2003, the legislation came with "sunsets," or scheduled expiration dates. Without further action, tax rates will go up for everyone in 2011; at the time it was considered a way to rein in future deficit projections. So new legislation is required to keep in place those current policies, and the budget outline indicates Obama intends to pursue that legislation.

Congress still needs approve Obama's budget, and there will likely be arguments over many things in it. But little opposition is expected to retaining the child credit expansions and marriage penalty fixes. For now, though, we're rating this promise In the Works.

Sources: Office of Budget and Management, Budget Documents for Fiscal Year 2010 Feb. 26, 2009

Edited by Sis

They are using the additional taxes that this will generate to pay for health care. They expect to make 1.3 billion by taxing HSA and 14.6 billion by taxing FSA (employer given HSA). The more I look into specific parts of the bill, the more I realize how bad the bill is.

I was doing some figuring earlier. I think a lot of low income people think this is going to help them afford insurance, I don't think they understand how much it is going to cost them. The subsidies will be given for a family of four that makes between $29,000 and $88,000. Under that amount will have to go on medicaid, over that amount will be on their own. They will pay a sliding scale of 3%-9% of their income for insurance.

So, lets look at a family of four that chooses not to have health insurance now that is in between that level. We'll say they make $58,000. They now have to pay 6% of their pay for insurance. That is: $3480/year and that does not include any co-pays or deductible that their plan will have. They are also going to loose their child tax credit at the end of this year which is $2000 (Bush tax credits aren't being renewed). So, next year they will loose $5480 that they now have to spend. That is $455 less dollars a month that family will have.

Add to this what the State will have to add in taxes to cover their portion of the bill. FL will have to pay an additional 1.6 billion into medicaid to pay for the new people that will be eligible and they will have to hire 1000 new workers to oversee the larger program. Like all states, we are broke and this money will have to come from somewhere (the only choice being the taxpayers, unless we can drill offshore? OK, that's another thread, LOL).

I am really worried about this because the above scenario is where my sister is. I'm not sure of her exact income, but I bet that middle number is close. They live pay check to pay check now and can NOT afford to lose $455 a month. I really think they will lose their house if the numbers I'm working with are right. They've been close to losing it in the past and I think this will send them over the edge. All along my sister has thought this was a great idea because they would finally get insurance, but I think the reality is they still won't be able to afford it. They get by now by paying cash for all their physicals and any other medical expenses. Yes, they have been lucky. But I think this new health care bill will soon find them homeless. Hmmmm, tough choice: health care or roof over your head. Well the Federal government just took away their choice! All I can do is pray that our State and the others that are suing win.

I know a lot of people have said people lose their homes when they have to pay medical expenses. I think people will also lose their homes because they HAVE to pay for insurance. I think a lot of people don't realize that this is NOT just free insurance.

Melissa

Melissa,

Low side estimates for people filing bankruptcy as a result of medical bills was 700,000 last year the high side (legitimate sounding) estimates are 900,000. Those are big numbers that affect us all. If your sister can get medical insurance for 250. a month off the new plan I think she should count herself lucky. I also think this plan could have been a lot more affordable had we gone to a single payer system, but people were foaming at the mouth over a that point.

Florida is in a fix, because we depend on sales tax dollars and we underfund education so terribley. Who wants to bring a high tech business to a state that spends 49th out of 50 on education or cuts tenured professors at major Universities. I'm sorry we'll do that on another thread...

I have another question about the high deductible plans. Is it true that those will only be available to people under 30 under this law? I have heard this in several places today, but I cannot find it in the bill. Thanks!

ETA: Nevermind, I found it. Yuck! So, there was a big deal made about keeping your coverage if you like it. What happens to our family? We like our coverage, but it may not be allowed anymore for our age group (30 this year, lol).

Subtitle D: Available Coverage Choices for All Americans - Part I: Establishment of Qualified Health Plans - (Sec. 1301, as modified by Sec. 10104) Defines "qualified health plan" to require that such a plan provides essential health benefits and offers at least one plan in the silver level at one plan in the gold level in each Exchange through which such plan is offered.

(Sec. 1302, as modified by Sec. 10104) Requires the essential health benefits package to provide essential health benefits and limit cost-sharing. Directs the Secretary to: (1) define essential health benefits and include emergency services, hospitalization, maternity and newborn care, mental health and substance use disorder services, prescription drugs, preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management, and pediatric services, including oral and vision care; (2) ensure that the scope of the essential health benefits is equal to the scope of benefits provided under a typical employer plan; and (3) provide notice and an opportunity for public comment in defining the essential health benefits. Establishes: (1) an annual limit on cost-sharing beginning in 2014; and (2) a limitation on the deductible under a small group market health plan.

Sets forth levels of coverage for health plans defined by a certain percentage of the costs paid by the plan. Allows health plans in the individual market to offer catastrophic coverage for individuals under age 30, with certain limitations.

Edited by dwkilburn1

He said it several times actually. Joe the Plumber was crying because he made more than 200K

That is what that whole thing was about

Oh yes, Joe. I remember ole Joe. :tongue_smilie: It was Obama's conversation with him where Obama originally used the phrase "share the wealth."

Boy can I rememer how well "that" statement went over. :D About as well as this healthcare bill wouldn't you say. ;)

Oh yes, Joe. I remember ole Joe. :tongue_smilie: It was Obama's conversation with him where Obama originally used the phrase "share the wealth."

Boy can I rememer how well "that" statement went over. :D About as well as this healthcare bill wouldn't you say. ;)

:lol:

I have another question about the high deductible plans. Is it true that those will only be available to people under 30 under this law? I have heard this in several places today, but I cannot find it in the bill. Thanks!

ETA: Nevermind, I found it. Yuck!

Subtitle D: Available Coverage Choices for All Americans - Part I: Establishment of Qualified Health Plans - (Sec. 1301, as modified by Sec. 10104) Defines "qualified health plan" to require that such a plan provides essential health benefits and offers at least one plan in the silver level at one plan in the gold level in each Exchange through which such plan is offered.

(Sec. 1302, as modified by Sec. 10104) Requires the essential health benefits package to provide essential health benefits and limit cost-sharing. Directs the Secretary to: (1) define essential health benefits and include emergency services, hospitalization, maternity and newborn care, mental health and substance use disorder services, prescription drugs, preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management, and pediatric services, including oral and vision care; (2) ensure that the scope of the essential health benefits is equal to the scope of benefits provided under a typical employer plan; and (3) provide notice and an opportunity for public comment in defining the essential health benefits. Establishes: (1) an annual limit on cost-sharing beginning in 2014; and (2) a limitation on the deductible under a small group market health plan.

Sets forth levels of coverage for health plans defined by a certain percentage of the costs paid by the plan. Allows health plans in the individual market to offer catastrophic coverage for individuals under age 30, with certain limitations.

Hmmm, thinking out loud, is this kind of disparate treatment based on age constitutional? age discrimination?

Am I the only one who finds this level of detail into what plan may qualify to be intrusive (to put it mildly), not just into my life but into private contractual relationships?

ETA: I realize it's not something that's in the constitution and that case law will mostly pertain to employement. But it seems a rather arbitrary distinction. Hmm....

Edited by wapiti

Hello all... I am newbie here. I have gone through this forum recently. But I am not getting exactly what you is going on here??

Can any one be more clear? So that i can share my thoughts here......

Welcome. This is an attempt to have a discussion about the health care bill that was just passed this week. There have been past attempts at having a discussion about this same topic that didn't go so well so the original poster was attempting to bring it up again with the hopes of discussing it. Hope that helps.:)

Actually I'd say it's gaining traction! My favorite story is the guy who went to the rally against health care reform where he was injured and then couldn't get any medical attention at the local ER, there's some irony!