Menu

Which string instrument?

Guest Cindie2dds

Guest Cindie2dds

I am very ignorant with regards to musical instruments. I don't want my kids to be. I have never had a music lesson in my life, so I need help! We are going to begin lessons in the fall for a string instrument. Our choices are: cello, double bass, viola and violin. Do any of these suit a particular personality better than another? What about physical stature; is that a consideration also? Looking for any help in deciding which instruments to start off with. My initial choices are cello for my oldest and viola for my youngest. My oldest is very intense, analytical, engineer-type ~ her daddy. My youngest is a free-spirit, artist, lefty.

Thanks!

Can you find a some music with each instrument and let your children listen to how they sound? Sometimes people greatly prefer cello to violin just because they like listening to the lower notes better.

As far as I know those instruments are made in 1/2 and 1/4 and even smaller sizes so I don't think that would be a problem.

(I am playing alto recorder because I like the sound of it better than the soprano recorder.)

Violin is horrible for your neck and back. It also sounds absolutely horrible unless played well. I would recommend any other stringed instrument over violin/viola. I was forced to take violin for two awful years.

My youngest is taking guitar now (her choice). She bought her guitar with her own money and is highly motivated. I told her that if she paid for her own guitar, I would pay for lessons for as long as she wanted them (with the proviso that I have to commit to them on a semester basis). Even when played poorly, guitars still sound nice.

She actually has two recognizable songs that she can play on the guitar already after just 6 group lessons.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I would try to show them some recordings, maybe youtube, and let them pick.

It is probably easier to find a teacher for violin than for the others.

As far as one or another being bad for your body, ANY instrument can result in physical problems if it isn't approached correctly. You really have to be very careful in choosing a teacher. Don't just ask other parents, find out who the advance teacher is for the instrument and ask them who the best beginner teachers are. It is really important to focus on posture and correct technique from the start.

Whichever one your child wants! Seriously, the single biggest determinant in whether a child sticks with an instrument is timbre preference, and if high screechy sounds make a child cringe, the child is not going to enjoy playing violin.

There are tests that can ascertain timbre preference, and a good music school, or even a music store, should have them. They involve a child listening to unlabeled sounds and simply rating as to whether they like them or not, and are very quick and easy.

At home, listening to a lot of different instruments helps. Don't limit it to within the string family, either, because you want to see what type of sounds the child likes. While a child might not be able to play tuba for years to come, if they like the sound of tuba, they're a lot more likely to be happy with Cello or Bass than violin. If they like the sound of the trumpet, aim for violin or viola. If they like flute-aim for violin. They may still move to the instrument that they truly love when they're more physically capable of playing it (most winds can't be begun before about age 8-9, just due to physical size-smaller wind instruments, like piccolo, piccolo trumpet, and Eb Clarinet tend to be harder to play then their larger counterparts, and therefore aren't good choices for beginners), but at least they'll have enough of a mesh that they'll enjoy "dating" it for awhile.

Hi, Just thought I'd offer up my .02. I took violin for 8 years, beginning in the 5th grade and continuing through the end of 12th grade. When we signed up for orchestra, we went to a small presentation to listen to each of the instruments being played (individually and together). We were encouraged to sign up for the one that appealed to us most. The instruments do come in 1/4 and 1/2 sizes, so there shouldn't be a problem with size, although obviously the cello and bass are going to be more difficult to carry. Also, should your child stick with it for years, at some point you will make the transition from a student instrument to a "real" instrument. At this point, a quality cello or bass will most likely cost more than a viola or violin. All of that aside, I do think the best outcome will happen if the child picks the instrument that resonates the most with him/her. I hope that helps!

My dd17 plays the viola and it uses the Alto clef, the violin is on the treble clef, and the cello and double bass are on the bass clef. My dd17 did not feel comfortable trying a violin because it is different from the clef she plays with her viola.

My dd12 tried cello and took to it beautifully, but gave it up rather quickly because it was just too cumbersome to maneuver. She had already been playing piano so she decided to wait a while longer before picking up another instrument.

My ex-husband is a professional bass player and teaches orchestra in schools. Both he and my dd12's piano teacher, also a strings teacher, tells people to try out each instrument before making a decision. I don't mean take lessons in each instrument, but hold them, pluck them, see which resonates (yes, pun intended) with them. :)

My son wanted to play cello instead of violin, because cellists get to sit down! Violin players have to stand, unless in an orchestra (and it takes a few years before you get to orchestra work). He hated standing.

But he made it to orchestra, this year is his first year. However, he still has to stand in his private lessons.

Thanks for the imput! My favorite is the cello.

I started on the violin, but moved to the cello as soon as I could. I love the sound of the cello - the deeper tone is just much more moving to me. I love listening to violin - Itzhak Perlman is a hero of mine, but for myself I prefer playing the cello.

It was much harder to move around, but if your kids aren't trying to catch the bus with a cello it isn't too terrible.

I wondered why the limiting to stringed instruments.

One thought I have is to approach the band and orchestra director(s) at the public high school with the best music program in your area. See if he or she would be willing to meet with you and your children to discuss the many possibilities. Try not to harbour stereotypes about any instrument. The only instruments truly difficult to transport are the stringed bass and the harp. (Harp wins the prize for "pain-in-the-neck" !)

No instrument causes physical injury if it is played properly. (That was a strange remark to read about violin !) The sometimes hard to bear sounds created by a beginning player are tiny prices to "pay" for the student's eventual proficiency with his instrument. Sometimes, too, an individual instrument will sound better than others, even if all are low-priced items. My daughter recently switched from piano to violin. Her teacher located a Romanian-made instrument for her which was astonishingly low-priced, but features a lovely. mellow sound. DD does not create any "blackboard nails" screeches when practicing on this instrument. On the other hand, when her brothers played violin, using inexpensive instruments from the usual manufacturers, we all had to ride out the "squawks" phase.

There are other things to consider. What kind of playing environment might your children be looking forward to ? For example, if one hopes to play in an orchestra, selecting viola will make one popular everywhere ! Violinists, in contrast, are numerous. Same for choosing flute over, say, oboe. . . . Yet one still must think about comparative ease of learning. The oboe is tremendously difficult to master; the flute is far easier.

Bottom line, nonetheless, remains what another poster said -- Choose what a child likes and will remain dedicated to while studying.

Then the mine field of selecting an instructor who combines musical skill with good teaching approach and manner. (a whole 'nother thread !)

I have trained on string instruments (viola, and years later, violin), wind instruments (recorder and french horn), and percussion (piano). Dearly love them all ! Hope you and yours have great fun on your new adventure ! :)

Edited by Orthodox6

Guest Cindie2dds

Thank you all so much. I live in a small town with limited options. This school offers those four string instuments, which I was quite excited about. They have a meet and fit at the end of the summer for children to be sized and choose. I was just wondering if there was more to a decision other than the instrument speaking to you when you hold it. I figured we could get our feet wet here meet locals, etc. I don't know any musicians, so I have to start somewhere. :)

No instrument causes physical injury if it is played properly. (That was a strange remark to read about violin !)

Maybe my teacher didn't have me doing it correctly? I just know that I was in pain during and after every time I played the violin. My lessons were taught by the ps music teacher. I have no idea how good she was at it. I do know that I was her star pupil despite hating the instrument and the lessons and practicing as little as possible. It's not that I was that good - the other students were just far, far worse.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

That would have been my guess, Angie. There are ways to hold a violin (or viola) incorrectly; one also can "bow" incorrectly. I readily can imagine feeling pain if the wrong posture and holding practices become the "normal" way of playing. In a group situation such as you were in, the teacher would not have had time during a class period to check each student and guard against things.

Although I honestly do not know what is studied during a college major for "music education", I'm guessing that "PS" music teachers (for both bands and for orchestras) can be "generalists", with training on one instrument, but only a "smattering" overview knowledge of all the other instruments. My first viola instruction came in 7th grade, from the PS teacher. I have no idea what her own instrument might have been.

Sorry that you did not have a happier experience !

No instrument causes physical injury if it is played properly. (That was a strange remark to read about violin !)

Maybe my teacher didn't have me doing it correctly? I just know that I was in pain during and after every time I played the violin. My lessons were taught by the ps music teacher. I have no idea how she good she was at it. I do know that I was her star pupil despite hating the instrument and the lessons and practicing as little as possible. It's not that I was that good - the other students were just far, far worse.

I started playing cello when I was 12 in 6th grade. I always loved cello and chose that one. I liked the sound of it much better than the violin though the viola is nice. I had to lug it around to concerts, but I don't remember it ever being a bother. It's usually just a walk from the car to the building. The cool thing about cello too is if you play it you can play bass really easily so it's like getting two instruments for the price of one. :)

I play the clarinet, so I can't give much technical help, but I've always preferred the sound of the cello. It's so much more complex to me, sort of soothing and melancholy all at once.

Oh, and be careful about going with the violin if the child in question has any kind of seizure disorder. I started to learn the violin in college, but the constant vibration in my shoulders and head ended up triggering seizures for me.

MIL is a PS orchestra director. She has so many kids playing violin that the school does not offer that instrument for free to students. You have to rent or purchase the violin yourself. That encourages students to try different instruments.

Orchestras are typically short on violas and double bass. DH plays with several groups locally and is always in demand. He says they are always looking for violas as well. So, if you are looking at future opportunities (not necessarily professional, just personal enjoyment), I would not choose violin.

DH has a double bass student that is a high school girl. Her double bass is bigger than she is, but she has no problems toting it around.

My personal favorite is the cello. It has such a beautiful sound.