Menu

Making beef stock for the first time today...

I've never tried beef stock, but I've done chicken stock in mason jars. I think I read somewhere that you want the jars that are straighter--not curved. And don't fill them to the top. I use 1/2 pint Kerr jars that are straight and I leave some space at the top--maybe put in about 3/4 cup stock or slightly more. If I need 1 cup of broth for a recipe, I'll just add a little water. The stock is rich enough for that. And I use the white plastic lids that screw on. Haven't had any breakage yet! I do this for homemade pizza sauce too. It seems to be the right amount of sauce for one pizza night (2 pizzas and kids don't want the sauce too thick).

I've often read that chefs freeze their stock in ice cube trays, then store the stock-cubes in freezer bags so they can easily access and use small amounts to enliven dishes.

Sounds like a PITA to me. But I put it out there.

Bill

Yeah, I'll second that idea.

I don't know if my canning jars are freezer safe or not but I take a piece of plastic wrap and fold it a couple of times and cover the lid with it. Then I screw the ring on to hold the plastic in place. Since it's covered with plastic and not a lid, it will expand a little if I've overfilled the jar. I've never had one break this way.

Since we've almost totally stopped using plastic for storage, we of course use glass mason jars for freezing everything from homemade tomato sauce to broth of all kinds.

You can buy plastic lids to fit on your mason jars (sold where mason jars are sold). I would cool the broth before freezing it.

I freeze in straight side jars that are not marked freezer safe (old pb jars). I like to refrigerate the stock first so I can take the fat off before I freeze it. This helps with the expansion factor too. I refrigerate in a pitcher so I can just stir the cold stock well (usually congealed and settled) and pour it in to the jars.