Menu

What's the web site for seeing your street/house from a satellite?

Are you thinking of Google Maps? You can put your address in [or any] and get a regular map or a satellite thing..some cities now also have "street view" where you can 'walk around' and see things from the perspective of being on the street. You'll know if your location has street view by looking at the plus/minus slider to the left - if the little man is yellow, you can 'drag' him down onto the street and walk around. :)

I use Bing.com. Click on maps and hen enter in your address into the search bar. Once the map comes up you can click on birds eye view for an image of your home from above. We are shopping for a new home and I use this all the time to see he home, the size of the backyard, etc.

So how often is ... say... Google updated. I mean... can I see where if my mom is home... now? Or, is it like... every 24 hours it gets updated... etc..

:)

The Google Earth image of our house is from at least five years ago.

The street view of our home on Google Maps, however, is much more recent. Based on the the car parked in front of our house, we can narrow it down to one of three different dates in the past six months.

The Google Earth image of our house is from at least five years ago.

The street view of our home on Google Maps, however, is much more recent. Based on the the car parked in front of our house, we can narrow it down to one of three different dates in the past six months.

Mine is from spring 2005. We had just built an addition and the ruts were fresh from the truck that got stuck in our yard delivering trusses.

So how often is ... say... Google updated. I mean... can I see where if my mom is home... now? Or, is it like... every 24 hours it gets updated... etc..

:)

I don't believe they've every been updated. They're still working on getting a complete map. Our satellite view doesn't even show our house on the lot (we've been here five years). They just got our street view on there a few weeks ago! It's all very new.

Well I am going to guess the shot of my house was done in late fall when I did yard clean up for winter. All the kids toys are out of sight and usually the front lawn is covered with them.

ETA: I zoomed in on the pic of my van and it still has the tape marks from when the psycho smashed my windows. SO those are the brnad new windows on it, that happened last March. SO I revamp my guess and say this was taken in spring before I hauled all the kids stuff out of storage. I got my van back in April last year so I will guess this pic was taken in late April early May

Edited by swellmomma

I don't believe they've every been updated. They're still working on getting a complete map. Our satellite view doesn't even show our house on the lot (we've been here five years). They just got our street view on there a few weeks ago! It's all very new.

Mine has been updated. It used to show our house pre-addition and with some vehicles we no longer own.

Or are we not talking about Google Earth but something just on the maps site? Are they not the same pictures?

If it is maps.google.com - mine has been updated. Sometime in the last 6 months or so they updated to a picture that is about a year old. The previous picture was about 5 years old.

The stroll down our street is kind of funny. Our neighbors were out working on their yard, so the picture of the south end of their house shows the two of them in one location, then picture two the husband is moving towards the house, then take another click down the street and his is gone altogether (or something like that). You think you are looking at a static picture of the front of the house if you look at mine, but looking at theirs shows that it is repeated shots stitched together.