Menu

American History for 5th grade??

Maddysmom26

Last year my daughter was in 5th grade, she did BJU 5th grade, that 20th century America. She LOVED that. My now 2nd grader will be doing that in 4th because i have changed things up a little and she will do ALL American History vol 1 in 5th. But we ALSO do world history.They will be up to modern times by then But I have to see how that will fit together before I make that decision!

I do know alot of 5th grade history curricula do new world history (that is explorers to N America) and that is the 1st half of All American History

If you're following WTM, 5th grade is when you begin your second cycle through chronological history, so you would be back in Ancients. 6th grade would then be Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation. 7th grade would be something like 1600-1850 (world and American history), and 8th grade would be about 1850-2000 (world and American history). If you started a chronological study in some year other than 1st grade or aren't doing chronological history, you can have a wide variety of plans that would have different focuses for 5th grade history. Just kind of depends on where you have already been and where you would like to go.

We finished up BF Early American (left over from 4th grade) first semester. Second semester we are doing (and will finish) BF Westward Expansion

FYI, I am planning on STOW vol 4 with Joy Hakim's US History for 6th and possibly 7th. I've added so many readers, dvds, extra spines, and activities that I could easily go 2 years with this program.

For 4th/5th we are using Oak Meadow 5 as a jumping off point. The history for OM 5 covers explorers to the Civil War with some interesting demographic projects. We have decided to stretch out the material and add to it by doing a study of the presidents (my dd's request).

For 6th, I hope to use OM again and we will do ancient through the renaissance.

7th is explorers to modern and 8th is civics.

I liked the plan for this. I had origionally planned to do our second round of chronological history but couldn't find texts that I liked to cover 4 years of world and US history.

:001_smile:

I'll be homeschooling with my then-5th grader in the fall too :) We've been discussing likes/dislikes for the past two months. She really enjoys reading historical fiction and has focused on the Revolutionary War-Civil War period. In her social studies class this year, they have studied the Old World explorers. She thinks that part was really boring (well, I'd think so too based on that textbook...) but wants to study the history from that point on. So we're going to use the first 3 volumes of Joy Hakim's History of US as a start :)

She would have studied ancient history in 6th grade, early American history in 7th grade, and Civil War-current period in 8th grade had she stayed in the same school. I know that in the high school she most likely will attend (her sister is a current freshman), she will study world history starting with "prehistory."

Since you are here on the Well-Trained Mind board asking this question, I think it is only appropriate to suggest that you follow the book's suggestions. SWB's book is the path to an excellent education! If you don't already own the book, I highly recommend it as a valuable resource.

If you follow the WTM model, then your daughter would begin with ancient history in 5th grade, move on to medieval history through the age of exploration and colonial America for 6th grade, then early U.S. and World history through the 19th century for 7th grade, and finally the modern age (20th and 21st century) for 8th grade. She would then repeat the cycle for the four years of high school, but of course at a much more in-depth level.

I do ask for input from my dd on certain things, but when it comes down to it I am the teacher and I choose all curriculum based on a lot of research and a lot of prayer for wisdom.

Blessings,

Lucinda

P.S. My dd is in 5th grade this year and we have been studying the ancients. I can't tell you how much fun it has been for her at this age. :~)

Edited by HSMom2One

Okay.. shes just learning basically New york state History now in PS. We will be starting HSing in the fall so this is all new.

I was trying to figure out which would be the best to begin with and then move forward.

;0)

This would be a great time to begin the chronological then since 5th grade is the start of they cycle. If you are Christian I would recommend Mystery of History, if you want secular I would recommend something else that cycled through chronologically (Hakim's a story of US is a good secular program from what I hear!). Story of the world might be a little young for her though.

This would be a great time to begin the chronological then since 5th grade is the start of they cycle. If you are Christian I would recommend Mystery of History, if you want secular I would recommend something else that cycled through chronologically (Hakim's a story of US is a good secular program from what I hear!). Story of the world might be a little young for her though.

Im looking at the secular that you suggested- Hakim's a story of US..

Im seeing several books in her series, and I thought it said High school level? I see "freedom a history of US" then it starts with book 1 the first americans and goes up to book 11...

Im wondering if this would work for 5th grade and which to start with??

thanks ;)