Menu

Using books to enhance family culture

Hi, everyone--

I am giving a workshop next month at a women's conference on the use of books in family life; I'm specifically hoping to share ways to enhance a family's unique culture through the use of literature and writing (such as doing nature journals, family mailboxes, etc.). Do any of you have a suggestion or idea you'd like to share? Something that you do with books that really brings your family together?

Thanks, Hive!

The first thing that comes to mind is our annual road trip from Jersey to Iowa. We always get books on tape to listen to during the 16+ hour ride (1,000 miles). A few have become traditions, and we use the language or quote lines from these favorites all the time. They have become a part of our family; we love the characters, we discuss the parallels between fiction and real life, we laugh and cry at the same parts, and we have made memories that will last a lifetime.

We keep seasonal books in special bins in the basement and pull them out at the appropriate time. Extra reading for the season is handy, and we get to know and remember old favorites as we rediscover them each year.

The boys have never lost their fondness for Jan Brett's winter-themed books after the Thanksgiving books are put away, and we esteem the Gennady Spirin books as especial friends. One Christmas baking book from the 1950's has more cooky recipes than you could make in 10 years of Christmases, and the browsing in it is always exciting.

We like to sing from the books of illustrated carols, too. Lovely memories.

Having the dad guy read aloud at bed time is a wonderful thing. I've got tots, so dh climbs into the bed with the rest of us, reads a picture book, then continues on with an adult read aloud. My tots seem just as happy with a tale of convict settlement in Tasmania as they are in books about duckies. It's all about being cozy in bed with Mum and Dad :)

Rosie

We read-a-loud or listen to books on tape at breakfast and lunch. Part of this is logistical - much of this reading is for school and helps us to get it all done. But I've found that it helps to have something to focus on together and then to discuss. At dinner we discuss the days events etc. so we do have normal conversation time over food too.

I take the prettier books that dd has loved literally to pieces and turn them into collages to hang in her room. She's a little young to help me, but when she's older I'm going to have her help with it. I think it's a great way to preserve memories, since we've spent so much time together reading these books.

I take the prettier books that dd has loved literally to pieces and turn them into collages to hang in her room. She's a little young to help me, but when she's older I'm going to have her help with it. I think it's a great way to preserve memories, since we've spent so much time together reading these books.

What a gorgeous idea!

:)

Rosie

Oh, what a wonderful idea! I could use a few pages from each book in a scrapbook, too...

Thanks!!!

Jackie

Jut keep the read alouds going, long past when they can read for themselves. Mine are teens, I still read aloud most school days and we all LOVE it. If there is ONE thing I will always be grateful that I homeschooled my kids for, its the bonding through read alouds.

My sil kept a mother/daughter journal. Every few nights, she'd write something to her daughter in a pretty, "blank book," and leave it on her dd's pillow for her dd to read. Dd would write back, and they'd go back and forth. It kept communication open and let them say things they may not have said face to face.

We keep a record of our weekends and vacations at our house--We live in a Rectory but own another home, which we visit from time to time. Sometimes I write the entry of what we did, sometimes dh or dd write it. Looking back over the 6 years or so, we see precious memories recorded for our children and grandchildren. A few are heartbreaking, like when we stopped overnight on our way to see our son, who was living in a locked, residential drug treatment facility in Newport News for 6 months. A few are utterly joyful--like when we spent the afternoon canoeing and swimming, eating crabs and just enjoying being a family.