Menu

Joining Weight Watcher Saturday - Grocery Help Please!

I'm joining WW Saturday morning. I will have to travel about 20 miles to get to the meeting. There are meetings closer to us (just down the street), but they are in the evenings and that doesn't work with our schedule. Anyway, I will be buying groceries while I'm there, b/c we really don't have a good grocery store here. Can anyone give me some advice on the things to pick up on my grocery trip? Things that fit nicely into the program, that you absolutely love. I'm a big time carb addict. I'm excited.

thanks

Angela

Things I like to eat:

red seedless grapes 1 cup is 1 point

oranges 1 point

bananas 2 points

carrot sticks 1

celery 0

Morning Star black bean veggie burgers - 2 points for the patty

Orowheat high fiber sandwich rounds 1 point

FiberOne peanut butter chocolate 90 calorie bars - 1 point

WW yogurt - 1 point

Light string cheese - 1 point

homemade ww veggie soup - 0 points

Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches (awesome) - 3 points

half a whole wheat bagle - 3 points

Kashi Honey Sunshine cereal - 2 points with milk

All Bran Bran Buds - 2 points with milk

I try to get as much water in by noon as I can and eat some fruit or veggie every time I have a meal or a snack, that way I get all the fruits and veggies in. I'm breastfeeding, so I get 12 points extra per day, which makes it waaaaaay easier!!! :D

Some things I get:

Arnold's Sandwich Thins - whole wheat is the only one I've tried and they are great!! Only 2 points. Use mustard instead of mayo, I use the Natural Selections (I'm not sure this is the name but it has no nitrites and comes in a brown box) smoked chicken (3 slices), topped with sprouts and two pickle slices. I get the pickle slices with 0 points.

I also like the Lay's Baked Chips. You can have about 16 per serving. I agree with the other postor to put them in individual bags to control portion size.

Thomas English Muffins carries a light version that is only 2 points. I buy sugar free jelly with fiber that is actually 0 points. Good for breakfast.

I keep lots of apples and oranges handy. I'm bad to not eat all day so I grab apples on the way out the door instead of junk.

I splurge on the WW ice cream. It is awesome.

I also buy the 94% fat free popcorn for movie snacks. Otherwise, I'll eat the extra butter with the dcs.

Lots of things I just eat anyway. Like, I buy brown rice and whole wheat pasta. My dcs have learned to eat this and prefer the now. That part is easy.

Oh, I also keep the Progresso soups with WW points on the front in the pantry. Some allow you to eat the whole can for 2 points. These are filling for me and I use them when I make the dcs their favorite meals like Alligator stew that I don't really like. Plus the points - ouch.

Congrats!!

I'm going to respond to dirty ethel rackham & Aludlam with 1 reponse.

A little bit of my background. I reached my WW goal Thanksgiving week 2009 and became a Lifetime member New Years week 2010. I've lost a total of 87 pounds with WW, the last 66 pounds between July 2008 and Thanksgiving 2009. During that last 1½ years, I lost 35 pounds the 1st 6 months, 17 pounds the 2nd 6 months, 14 pounds the 3rd 6 months. This correlates with research findings that most weight lost is during the 1st 6 months. If I had not known about this research, I would have been so discouraged by the slow down I would have given up.

1st - "20 lbs by July and 30 lbs by next November is a good goal, yes?" In my experience, linking a pound goal to a date is a setup for failure. You have control over what you put in your mouth and how much you exercise, but you have no control over what your body will do with it. There will be weeks when you follow the plan perfectly, and stay the same weght or even gain. There may be times when you over-indulge and lose. Google "Why the scale lies" for a good article on this. One of the best quotes I heard is "I will reach my goal if I don't give up."

2nd - "… things to pick up on my grocery trip? … I'm a big time carb addict."

Have you gone to the Weight Watchers web site & asked on the message boards?

http://www.weightwatchers.com

Community

Message Boards

On the Momentum Plan -or- Filling Foods

You will need to sign up to post a question - it's free. You will get plenty of great responses. I read the " On the Momentum Plan " board the most, but you might get some good responses from some of the other message boards.

I'm a carb addict, too, and do much better staying away from bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. I still eat bread when I want (the others I never miss!). I just don't keep it in the house. After a few days of lower carb eating, I don't have the cravings. YMMV

I also recommend an electronic food scale. I got mine at Target for about $25 - the brand is Taylor. I love it!!

Best wishes to both of you.

I agree with Twigs: don't force a goal. Just consider it good if you lose 1/2 lb. a week. If you lose more: great! If you gain or stay the same: that's okay. It means your body is "settling" into the new loss.

I lost 48 lbs. and have kept it off for 3 years now. WW is a lifetime commitment. There's no being perfect. You'll make mistakes and the key is to get back on the horse.

The main thing that helped me is to think of weight loss as a part time job -- something that you spend a ton of time on. Expect to cut up veggies and fruit. Expect to take time to stock your car -- yes, your car -- w/ the food you'll need for the day and evening. Expect it to take time to check out the restaurant menu ahead of time before you actually go to eat there.

Expect everything involving good eating habits to take a lot of your time. And don't begrudge the time. It's an absolute necessity.

Go for it! It's one of the very best things in the world that I've ever done besides have kids!

Love, Alley

I'm joining WW Saturday morning. I will have to travel about 20 miles to get to the meeting. There are meetings closer to us (just down the street), but they are in the evenings and that doesn't work with our schedule. Anyway, I will be buying groceries while I'm there, b/c we really don't have a good grocery store here. Can anyone give me some advice on the things to pick up on my grocery trip? Things that fit nicely into the program, that you absolutely love. I'm a big time carb addict. I'm excited.

thanks

Angela

The big must-have snack for me is popcorn. I make a big bowl, coat it with butter spray, then shake popcorn seasoning over it. Ranch and nacho cheese are my favorite. You can have 5 cups for 3 points, which is a very large, filling snack. I use loose kernels in a microwave popcorn container that I bought at Target.

You are all so great! The doors open at 8:30 tomorrow morning. I keep trying to talk myself out of going. I keep saying, "I can just do this at home. I don't need a plan" Then, I make myself go look in the mirror. I can plainly see what I've been doing at home the last few years! :glare:

Thanks for all the grocery advice!

Angela

I started WW a couple of weeks ago. One thing that helps me is I already used E-mealz for my dinner menu and grocery list. They have a points friendly menu and I switched to that so I don't really have to do any thinking about my dinner. I pretty much eat the same things for breakfast and lunch so dinner was the only problem. So far, all the meals we've tried have been great and my DH and son have also enjoyed them. DH has even lost some weight and he's not even doing WW. The thing I love is that they plan in a lot of fruits and veggies into your meals which is something I had trouble doing on my own because I am also a huge carb addict and would have those at every meal if I was planning myself. Our grocery bill has even dropped $50 a month since we started e-mealz. Hope that helps!

I started WW a couple of weeks ago. One thing that helps me is I already used E-mealz for my dinner menu and grocery list. They have a points friendly menu and I switched to that so I don't really have to do any thinking about my dinner. I pretty much eat the same things for breakfast and lunch so dinner was the only problem. So far' date=' all the meals we've tried have been great and my DH and son have also enjoyed them. DH has even lost some weight and he's not even doing WW. The thing I love is that they plan in a lot of fruits and veggies into your meals which is something I had trouble doing on my own because I am also a huge carb addict and would have those at every meal if I was planning myself. Our grocery bill has even dropped $50 a month since we started e-mealz. Hope that helps![/quote']

This is a neat site. Wondering how long you have been using e-mealz.com. It looks interesting as I am doing WW and Dave Ramsey. Seems a mix of both. Interesting!!

Also, I saw where you can earn points by referring a friend. Would it help you to refer me? I might give it a try. PM me if you need info.

thanks

Angela

Hope you made it this morning. Let us know!!

i am doing ww online~

i love flatouts. sort of like a tortilla, in bread section-i put grilled chicken, veggies, a laughing cow cheese, and a tiny bit of mustard sauce. then grill it. super yum.

oh yeah, the laughing cow is good to have. i think it is 1pt. and it melts, you can throw it into scrambles, anything.

i find i need lots of drinks, flavored waters, plain iced tea, diet soda. keeps the day exciting. good luck!

:tongue_smilie:

I know WW doesn't have the "Core" plan any more, but I would try to stick as much to that food list as possible.

:iagree:

The core model of eating allowed me to loose a lot of weight fairly painlessly. I try to stick with that model.

To help with this, I buy my vegetables once or twice a week, bring them home from store, wash and cut them up and have them in ziploc bags ready to eat at any time. If they're ready to go I will snack on veggies during the day. If they're not ready to go, I'm more likely to reach for something else.

The big must-have snack for me is popcorn. I make a big bowl, coat it with butter spray, then shake popcorn seasoning over it. Ranch and nacho cheese are my favorite. You can have 5 cups for 3 points, which is a very large, filling snack. I use loose kernels in a microwave popcorn container that I bought at Target.

:iagree: Popcorn is a staple. Usually it's my night time snack but sometimes I even make a bowl in the afternoons if I feel the munchies sneaking up on me. I have a microwave popcorn popper and a hot air popper and use both regularly.

Yummy.

One other thing I do is often have a mug of soup, either chicken broth or tomato soup, before my meal. This curbs my appetite and is a nice appetizer. If they're on sale, I buy those little boxes of campbell's tomato soup. Tomato basil or tomato black bean or something like that.

I went! I went! I went! I was trying to talk myself out of going all the way until I got into the van this morning. I'm SOOO glad I went. It's a big group of people and the leader is very nice. The shocking thing was how far my scale was off at home. A whooping 7 pounds (not in a good way). My eyes almost fell out! I am heavier than I have ever been.

Just one week at a time

Angela

I went! I went! I went! I was trying to talk myself out of going all the way until I got into the van this morning. I'm SOOO glad I went. It's a big group of people and the leader is very nice. The shocking thing was how far my scale was off at home. A whooping 7 pounds (not in a good way). My eyes almost fell out! I am heavier than I have ever been.

Just one week at a time

Angela

Awesome, you made that step!! I know what you mean by the scales being off. I had that same reaction:w00t:

Anyway, you are on the right road now and just don't look back. The saying I hear that sticks with me is, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." I say that to myself at times and it keeps me going. Lifestyle changes will create a slimmer, healthier you so stick with it.:grouphug:

Good for you! Every scale is a bit different. Making sure you are weighing on the same one every time is the thing so ignore the one at home.

Looking at reality in the face is tough, but it makes the progress all the sweeter.

I lost 1.2 pounds this week :hurray:

Way to GO!!!

Yay! I went back to my WW meeting this week.

Eat as many "filling foods" (used to be Core) as possible! I got to my goal on the Core plan back when it was a separate program. These foods are an awesome way to focus on healthy eating and not feeling hungry.