Menu

What to serve with enchiladas & spanish rice

Any suggestions on what I could serve as an appetizer and a dessert with chicken enchiladas and Spanish rice? We are having friends over Fri. night for the 1st time and I'm not sure what else to have. My thought was to keep it Spanish/Mexican and have some sort of dip with tortilla chips for a simple appetizer, and some sort of dessert - but maybe that is too much of one thing :confused: Thoughts?

With the entree, I would also serve corn. I find it goes nicely with Mexican food.

For your appetizer, chips and salsa sound yummy to me. Another suggestion would be fresh fruit, either as an appetizer, or with whipped cream for dessert. Another dessert idea, if you want to stick with Hispanic fare, would be tres leche cake.

For an appetizer, or to go with your meal, I would serve black bean salad and for dessert, Mexican Brownies.

Black Bean Salad

1 can black beans, rinsed & drained

1 can shoepeg corn

1 onion, diced (I usually use 1/2 sweet yellow onion)

1 pepper, diced (I like to use orange to add color, but can use red or green)

1 avacado, diced

1 tomato, diced

juice of 1 lime

Mix all above ingredients. I like it just like that, but dh prefers to add a small dolop of sour cream & shredded cheese & to eat it like a dip with tostitos. Best if made earlier in the day so the juices can mix.

My sister adds jalepenos, my mom leaves out tomatoes & adds cilantro. Have fun with it!

Margaritas. The perfect appetizer and dessert! :D

I would do chips and salsa and a veggie tray for your appetizers.

How about flan or apple enchiladas with ice cream for dessert? I also kind of like key lime pie paired with Mexican food, though that might be lime overkill if you also have margaritas.

Ok, so this is only slightly Mexican, but it is one of the most heavenly desserts I've ever had (it's one of those that elicits "MMMmmmms" on the first bite), and the flavor really is Sopapilla-like:

Sopapilla Cheesecake

2 cans crescent rolls

2 pkgs. 8 oz. cream cheese (softened)

1 3/4 cup sugar (separated)

1 cup butter (melted)

cinnamon to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Grease 9x13 pan

Spread 1 can of rolls on bottom of dish

Cream together cream cheese and one cup sugar

Spread over rolls

Now layer 2nd can of rolls on top

Pour melted butter on top

Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes

If you'd like to make real sopapillas, a just get the fluffiest flour tortillas you can find and fry them in hot oil. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar and serve warm with honey. We used to make the recipe out of the Better Crocker (or was it Better Homes & Garden) cookbook, and then a Mexican friend gave us this tip. They are tasty!

As far as an appetizer, I'd just go with chips and salsa, maybe guac or queso.

Edited by JudoMom

Avocado Dip recipe I have been making for years.........change it to suit your family's taste.

In food processor blend 8 oz sour cream, 1-3 avacados and 1 brick of cream cheese along with some Taco seasoning mix. ( I would use at least a Tablespoon, taste it and add more to your liking)

Spread onto platter.

Top with an assortment of:

choppped lettuce

chopped onions

chopped peppers

shredded cheese

chopped tomatoes ( Before the cheese)

sliced black olives.

Serve with tortilla chips

Ok, so this is only slightly Mexican, but it is one of the most heavenly desserts I've ever had (it's one of those that elicits "MMMmmmms" on the first bite), and the flavor really is Sopapilla-like:

Sopapilla Cheesecake

2 cans crescent rolls

1 cup butter (melted)

cinnamon to taste

Grease 9x13 pan

Spread over rolls

If you'd like to make real sopapillas, a just get the fluffiest flour tortillas you can find and fry them in hot oil. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar and serve warm with honey. We used to make the recipe out of the Better Crocker (or was it Better Homes & Garden) cookbook, and then a Mexican friend gave us this tip. They are tasty!

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: Best stuff EVEAH!

Sopapilla Cheesecake

2 cans crescent rolls

1 cup butter (melted)

cinnamon to taste

Grease 9x13 pan

Spread over rolls

:iagree: Good stuff! Have fun.

Ladies - you are awesome! 'Never occurred to me to make margaritas - enough of those and no one will care what I have for dinner anyhow :lol:

So, what I think I am going to do (loved the ideas involving corn, etc, but the Spanish Rice has corn in it already, and DH hates beans of any sort) is to have cheese & crackers and the Avocado Dip with chips for appetizers; and the delicious-sounding Sopapilla Cheesecake for dessert). I may even make the Mexican Brownies, as they sound too good to pass up!

Thank goodness for a (usually) well-stocked Commissary, because there is not a lot of Mexican fare at our local Markt!!!

BTW - here are the enchiladas I am making - absolutely delicious!!!

Sopapilla Cheesecake

This is one standard that I make for potlucks. When I walk in the door people start asking if that's what is in my covered dish. Yummy!