Menu

Timeline-wall or notebook

Quiver0f10

Notebook - I don't want it on my wall. Maybe if I had a school room and space for each child to put the whole time line of the world on the wall I wouldn't feel this way, but visual clutter drives me batty. The most beautiful time line in the world is still going to look like visual clutter to me when I am cranky and sleepy on Monday morning.

My kids each have their own timeline in a binder. We use the Book of Centuries from Simply Charlotte Mason. I prefer it over one on the wall because it's easier to keep neat, it's portable, they have every century at their fingertips (rabbit trails always fit!), and it will last them clear through high school.

I made a "snake" timeline (http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/timelinedirections.htm#snake) for the wall, because my children are young and I thought this was a good way to do the concept of a timeline without taking up a wall I don't have. I used a single tri-fold science project board (~3'x4'). When they are older I will get them each a book of centuries, but this will do for now.

But from a practical standpoint, it wouldn't work for me. I don't really have walls that size. I don't want it to be low enough to reach, nor to have to climb up to get to it. I don't want to worry about ink bleeding through onto the painted wall. And after working on it for a long time, I would want to preserve it.

So I bought a computer program that was not very expensive, called "The Wonders of Old". It enables you to print out timeline pages in two page spreads, size 8 1/2 by 11, so perfect for a binder. I printed these all out and put them into page protectors in a binder. This way DD can flip through it when she is bored, and can add to it whenever. Also, if one page gets messed up we can replace it without losing very much work. The same company sells a bound book with that same material in it, and it is lovely, but I didn't want it because of the replacement page issue.

We also use a game from Rainbow Resources called Perspective, to gently practice the order of various events.

We have a timeline on the wall, using fishing line, notecards, and paper clips. It makes it easier to move (nothing to rip when we take it down) and to add things to. I went this way because I think it makes so much more sense for a little one. Now... if i could just remember to put things on it! :)

I have done both the notebook and the wall. The wall took up too much space and was annoying. The notebook didn't work well because you couldn't "see" the big picture. This year, I bought one of those three part science display boards. I made lines across it about every four inches apart. Then, we dated the lines according to the number of years we are planning to cover this year. We keep it folded behind the classroom table, but take it out about once a week to add our timeline figures. I just find google images and we print them off. This is by far my favorite way to do a timeline.

I have done both the notebook and the wall. The wall took up too much space and was annoying. The notebook didn't work well because you couldn't "see" the big picture. This year, I bought one of those three part science display boards. I made lines across it about every four inches apart. Then, we dated the lines according to the number of years we are planning to cover this year. We keep it folded behind the classroom table, but take it out about once a week to add our timeline figures. I just find google images and we print them off. This is by far my favorite way to do a timeline.

I wondered about this with using a notebook, but I'd much prefer a notebook because we don't have a wall big enough. The fold away board is a nice idea. Thanks.

I wondered about this with using a notebook, but I'd much prefer a notebook because we don't have a wall big enough. The fold away board is a nice idea. Thanks.

Check out the Add-a-Century. It accordions into the notebook, so you can pull it out at anytime to see the big picture, then fold it back into the notebook and just turn the pages from one century to the next. It's really ingenious!

Check out the Add-a-Century. It accordions into the notebook, so you can pull it out at anytime to see the big picture, then fold it back into the notebook and just turn the pages from one century to the next. It's really ingenious!

I love this! We've failed dismally at our timeline...didn't like the wall kind, and had a problem with notebooks for just the reason you mention: we couldn't see the big picture. I just went to their website & bought it. Thanks for posting this!

Very nice! Thank you!

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to look into this. I prefer one on the wall, but it just hasn't worked for us yet. We had a timeline on the wall last year, but I could not stand how it looked. It was in my entryway since that was the only long wall I could find that wasn't interrupted by a window or doorway. I wouldn't mind one in my interior hall, but we don't use that space, so I feel it would go untouched/unnoticed. Maybe this will be a nice compromise.

We tried the timeline on the wall, and it didn't last. Each of my dc have their own hardbound timeline book from Knowledge Quest. They keep this timeline and continually add to it year to year. I also love the CD-Rom History Through the Ages to print up the small pics to cut out for the timeline as well.