Menu

Book A Week in 2010 - Book Week 10

I finished "The City of Dreaming Books" by Walter Moers. I just adore his creativity & ingenuity.

Also, I started "Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel" by Jeannette Walls tonight & am halfway through already, lol. It is a wonderfully-told story that is quick to read. I really enjoyed her book "The Glass Castle" & find this to be as delightful & nicely told. She has an optimism that shines through regardless of adversity.

Last Five Books I've read in 2010:

5. Lying Awake by Mark Salzman

6. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

7. Iron & Silk by Mark Salzman

8. Lottery by Patricia Wood

9. The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers

Books I've read with my dc/young adult books in 2010:

1. The Anybodies by N. E. Bode

2. The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

3. The Nobodies by N. E. Bode

4. The Wooden Mile: Something Wickedly Weird: Vol. 1 by Chris Mould

Books I started but didn't finish in 2010:

1. The Canon by Natalie Angier (would like to read/finish in the future)

2. The Illuminator by Brenda Rickman Vantrease

3. Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia by Orlando Figes (would like to finish in the future)

Also, I started "Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel" by Jeannette Walls tonight & am halfway through already, lol. It is a wonderfully-told story that is quick to read. I really enjoyed her book "The Glass Castle" & find this to be as delightful & nicely told. She has an optimism that shines through regardless of adversity.

I loved The Glass Castle! I didn't know she had another book out. I'll have to get that one. Thanks for sharing. :001_smile:

Have a guest today, Sneed Collard on My Two Blessings and Read 52 books in 52 week. He's written many non fiction science books that will interest you and your kids for home schooling. Please be kind and welcome him, make a comment or two or three.

Let me note that those who use TWTM reading lists should consider following up Hawthorne and Melville with Philip Hoare's delightful new book, The Whale: In Search of the Giants of the Sea , a book that is hard to classify. Yes, it is about leviathans, but it is also a cultural study of those who hunted whales and a literary study of those who wrote about them as well as an examination of New England during its whaling heyday. There is science history in this book which I found completely fascinating.

Perhaps I was so taken aback by Hoare's work given that I read Moby Dick (for the first time) last summer. One could argue that I am cetacean obsessed and perhaps I am--or rather obsessed with ocean life and the quality of ocean waters. Thus I found revisiting Moby Dick via Hoare's anthropological eyes to be meaningful, sad and joyous.

On another note, I also read a book mentioned by another reader on these lists: Made from Scratch. Any book that has a blurb from Bill McKibben on its cover is one that I want to read. Made from Scratch is a quick read on the joys of do it yourself, simplicity and old timey. Nothing new, really, but a pleasant little volume.

Now on to The Year of Living Biblically which was also mentioned in these threads. My son grabbed it from the library bag and shared quotes with me. It pleases me when he is so immediately engaged by a book. I suspect we'll have some interesting conversations this weekend.

Be well. Enjoy your reading.

Jane

I read Jane Eyre, but don't be too impressed because it was a Children's Illustrated Classics version. :tongue_smilie:

I am reading The Search for Significance. I can't figure out if this book is workin' for me or not. I've even considered opening a post on it, for anyone who has read it or could help me sort through my thoughts on it. Perhaps after I have read it all.

Here is my book list for this year:

The Promise by Father Jonathan Morris

Going Rogue by Sarah Palin

A Simple Christmas by Mike Huckabee

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

Three Cups of Tea, which I failed to finish

The Lightening Thief

Dracula by Bram Stoker

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Jane Eyre, cheater version

I finished book 9 last night. I hope to finish 10 today.

I wanted to love Week 8's book, but in the end I didn't.

List (Links are to my review):

Week 1: Touch Not the Cat

Week 2: An Introduction to Classical Education: A Guide for Parents

Week 3: Parenting from the Heart

Week 4: Meet the Austins

Week 6: The Moon by Night

Week 6: The Little Book of Christian Character and Morals

Week 7: How Lincoln Learned to Read

Week 8: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society [sigh]

Week 10: The Young Unicorns

I finished Nausea. Methinks the character was more insane than anything else. Here's something laughable. The book is about existentialism right. If I think it exists, it does. So, for some reason my online class discussion was supposed to start this week. I keep checking and the professor hadn't posted anything. By thursday I was checking with tech support to see if something was wrong with my sytem. The module finally appears and I'm suppose to pick a partner and discuss the book and have answers up by Sunday. I'm panicking. Then yesterday the Prof emails - the module will start on the 15th. Without any explanation or a whoops, I screwed up the date the module was supposed to post. Seems she forgot we existed this week.

Anyway, I haven't forgotten you guys exist. I'm going to do my darnedest to visit all your review links each week before the next week posts. Is it helpful having last weeks post linked in the side bar? Is it helping to close out the links at the end of the week so folks will post the reads on the most current week. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Happy Reading!

I have a problem: I want to read something Irish for March--as per your suggestion and anyway my daughter is in Irish dance and so we always spend March in a very Irish mood--but I just got the new A. S. Byatt book from the library, where I had to wait in line forever, and it's huge. Sigh. Maybe I'll read a little Yeats... :D