Menu

Help me plan my curriculum for 3rd grade

miracleone

I need help. We've been using SL but we think we need a change just because we're not using their history/geography much. We're using their Science, some of their RAs and most of their LA with First Language Lessons (because I found that FLL is more organized and easier for my daughter to grasp). I don't know if we should still continue with SL or change. Please help me plan (it's just suggestions and I'll consider all advice gratefully.)

For 3rd grade:

LA: First Language Lessons and some of SL RAs. Do I need grammar, spelling and composition?

Math: Abeka or Horizon plus one more (any suggestions what would be a compliment to the first 2 either/or)

Science:

History: I want to start SOTW

Bible: Bible Study guide for all ages

Anything else I need to add?

Thank you very much.

For 3rd grade:

LA: First Language Lessons and some of SL RAs. Do I need grammar, spelling and composition?

FLL

Keep SL for reading

Add:

Writing With Ease

Spelling Workout

Handwriting Without Tears

Math: Abeka or Horizon plus one more (any suggestions what would be a compliment to the first 2 either/or)

I've never used either but a lot of people seem to combine Singapore with others.

Science:

Apologia is pretty easy to use.

I've also done Abeka science which combines many different studies into one year.

History: I want to start SOTW

I highly recommend getting the activity book.

Anything else I need to add?

Foreign language, art, music...

Thank you very much.

HTH

I'll share what we are going to do, maybe it'll help :)

LA:

FLL (I think)

Classical Writing Aesop A

Spelling Workout

Readers that correspond with history (most are from Sonlight)

Read-Alouds that correspond with history (again, most are from Sonlight)

Math:

Singapore Math

Science:

Chemistry for the Grammar Stage by Elemental Science

History:

SOTW 3 with the AG and additional Sonlight titles

Extras:

Art Adventures at Home

Music plans from Core Knowledge

Prima Latina

Poetry books from Sonlight

We are former Sonlighters (we did Core K and a modified version of Core 1) and I absolutely love their books! For us, though, WTM just fits how I teach and what I want my dd to learn better. Best of luck on your decision, you can't go wrong with either option!

LA: First Language Lessons and some of SL RAs. Do I need grammar, spelling and composition? I heartily recommend it, they are all different skills. My plan is to use WWE and Apples & Pears spelling. Don't forget a handwriting program if your child hasn't mastered cursive.

Math: Abeka or Horizon plus one more (any suggestions what would be a compliment to the first 2 either/or) MEP is an excellent complement, plus the only cost is printing, so you can feel free to use what you want without having to worry about wasting $. Math Mammoth would work, as well.

Science: I plan to use Singapore's My Pals Are Here or the new volume of BFSU (supposed to be available this year, I think in June). You could also use Sonlight science if you like them. I found it very convenient to have everything included.

History: I want to start SOTW Do it! It's fun, especially with the AG!

Anything else I need to add? Music? Foreign language? Art? My child will probably be taking piano lessons again at that point, and I plan to use Lively Latin and Atelier art.

:001_smile:

I am planning to use Phonics Road I really want an All in One, plus it includes vocabulary and literary analysis. If I weren't, and DD didn't need any remediating then these are my picks.

Composition: Writing With Ease or Writing Tales

Spelling: Megawords or Apples and Pears

I am using Abeka and adding in Math Mammoth. (next week! We are staring 2nd grade and adding in things from MM that she needs work on, right now that is mainly place value. Third grade Abeka moves fast, so I think it is wise to supplement.)

Science: Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry plus Elemental Science Chemistry

History: Take a look at my booklist for some ideas for Ancients.

Other: Latin or Modern Foreign Language (I plan to use The Fun Spanish, Spanish from Discovery Streaming and then later The Latin Road.)

Here is what my current 3rd grader is doing:

math: Horizons 3 (has been in Horizons since K)

Language: FLL3, WWE3, Spelling workbook,

History: SOTW 2/3 (we started the year in book 2 and will probably get 2/3 thru book 3 before summer)

Science: basic chemistry experiments, using mostly Usborne books

Spanish: La Clase Divertida (highly recommend this program - is fun for everyone and they have learned a lot of Spanish this year)

Art: I Can Do All Things from Barry Stebbing - gentle approach to drawing and painting that will probably last us 2 years

Bible: daily readings from our church bulletin

HTH!

I also highly recommend the Activity Guide for SOTW - we use the extra reading suggestions as well as the maps, coloring pages and several of the activity choices on a regular basis. It is a most valuable resource, especially for combining multiple children into the history program.

Edited by iquilt
AG suggestion

We will be doing 3rd grade next year as well, so I am very interested in all the responses. Here is what I have planned so far:

Math: Singapore 3A, 3B, Timez Attack, Times Tales

Reading: Daily read alouds with written narration, & 1/2 hour alone

Handwriting: HWT Print 3, Cursive 3 & 4

Music: We will be in our sixth year of Suzuki violin

Spelling: AAS 2 & 3

Grammar: FLL 2 & 3

Writing: WWE 2 & 3

Science: Sonlight Science 3, 5-Day

Geography: Whatever comes after Evan-Moore Geography 2(Geography 3?)

Latin: Prima Latina

History: SOTW 2

Art: MTM

We started homeschooling in 2nd grade, but I wanted to start FLL and WWE from the beginning. That's why we're a little behind in those curriculums. Same thing for SOTW. I am also toying with a Logic workbook I got recently. We'll see how things go.

We love FLL, I think it is the best program out there for this age. This is what my 3rd grade son has been working on this year:

FLL 4 (he completed 3 last year because we started FLL 1 in K-it is pretty tough for him though, I am thinking of putting it aside for the rest of the year and picking it back up in the fall)

Explode the Code 4, 5, 6 (I use this for spelling as well as phonics review)

Handwriting w/o Tears

Wordly Wise 3000 grade 3

Abeka Read & Think Skill Sheets grade 3

combination of WTM, Sonlight, and HOD lit list, doing summaries of most books

Horizons math

BiblioPlan modern history-he doesn't do the maps or timeline, but does one summary a week

Presidents workbook & US geo. workbook

human body unit study

Studying God's Word workbook

art & music with free resources from library & internet whenever we are able to get to it

lots of golf with dh, daily workout set by dh

DS My Spanish Coach when it has not been mysteriously lost:0)

I am planning 3rd for next year too. I will put what I am planning next to yours to compare..

LA: First Language Lessons and some of SL RAs. Do I need grammar, spelling and composition? FLL is your grammar in your list. We will do Rod and Staff English 3, Spelling(haven't decided what yet), Rod and Staff penmanship 3, writing: narration across the curriculum and adding dictation next year.

Math: Abeka or Horizon plus one more (any suggestions what would be a compliment to the first 2 either/or) Rod and Staff grade 4 here

Science: Strictly WTM here. 3rd grade is a big experiment year.

History: I want to start SOTW SOTW vol 3 w/A.G. I am also adding the Complete book of Maps and Geography. DD just started this, and does it for fun in her free time.

Bible: Bible Study guide for all ages Not sure what we will do for Bible next year. DD did it at co-op this year.

Anything else I need to add? Here is what I am planning:

Music.. Rod and Staff music 3, we also use What Your 3rd Grader Needs to Know. This year she also had a Kinderbach class at co-op, so maybe something like that will be available too, and she has taught herself recorder, so we will keep that up.

Art... What Your 3rd Grader Needs to know and SOTW projects

Latin.. Haven't decided which yet.

P.E... class at co-op, outside lessons

Thinking about starting her on a LOGIC workbook of some kind. Will look at Critical Thinking Co. at convention.

Extras... We will have a full day at co-op. After her P.E. classes, she will get to choose whatever she wants with my approval. Art would be good, then we wouldn't do it at home for the year except for fun.

ETA... PP reminded me of memory work. We will memorize the presidents, and the states and capitals for 3rd. Plus poetry and scripture occasionally.

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
forgot something!

:seeya:

Here's my plan for my daughter for next year.

Math: Horizons & Singapore

LA

* Grammar: Rod & Staff 3

* Spelling: Continuing the phonics based program we've been using.

* Literature/Reading: classics & quality literature (We'll read Grimms' Fairy Tales, Black Beauty, Dr. Dolittle together. She'll read others on her own.)

* Writing: Writing With Ease 2 (and continue through 3 & 4)

History: SOTW 3 & tag along with brothers' VP Explorers to 1850 class.

Science: 30 minutes reading daily from book basket of science books corresponding to CC science topics.

Lit./Read Alouds: still have to make a list of what we'll read next year

Art: Monart-based art class

Piano

With my boys, I regret not doing writing more systematically and consistently when they were in 3rd, so I'm definitely going to make that a priority with my daughter. We'll do WWE daily & the R&S 3 writing assignments.

Be aware that R&S 3 has all the writing assignments in the last Unit of the book. This time around, I'm going to take those writing assignments and intersperse them throughout the year. That way, we won't be trying to squeeze all that writing in at the end of the year, and we'll be able to practice those assignments across history and science during the year.

For cursive, you might look at VP's Classically Cursive Book I. My daughter completed it this year & has nice handwriting. She'll continue using cursive in her regular work. I won't have her do it as a separate subject anymore.

We don't do Vocab. as a separate subject. We get a lot of it from our read alouds in K-3. I think vocabulary is much better learned in context (ie, in good books) than by learning lists of random words. In 4th, she'll start Latin, like her brothers, and will add Latin roots/derivatives study.

If your daughter has the mechanics of reading down (ie, can use phonics to decode new words, is able to read with expression, knows what to do when she comes to different punctuation...), I wouldn't spend time on a separate reading program. Just read good books with her. I do think it's important to read aloud together... We read a chapter together, for example. I'll read a couple paragraphs out loud. One child will read the next paragraph aloud, then the next, etc. to the end of the chapter. We discuss as we go along.

Singapore Math and Horizons work well together. I have been looking into both for almost a year (this is for next year that I have been looking) and found that Horizons covers alot of what Singapore does not. Singapore has concrete teaching stratagies and is great for mental math. They both come in 2 workbooks. I find them to be very complimentary to each other. We are doing Abeka and Singapore math this year but Abeka seems to be far behind both Singapore and Horizons so that is another reason they work well together, they are at the same level!

I would recommend Apologia science if you are not sticking with SL. The young explorers series is AMAZING! And you can easily do 2-3 books a year if you do science 5 days a week! Their notebooking journals are awesome and they learn above grade level content in a way that my 2nd grader has remembered EVERYTHING so far!!!! The Young explorers series had an anatomy book coming out this spring and a chemistry and physics coming out next summer (2011)!!!!!

Hope this helps!

Here's my plan so far, but I want to get moved and settled in next month before I start concentrating on it and buying books:

Singapore 3

RSO chemistry + biographies of scientists

SOTW 3

GWG 3

WWE 2

Z-B cursive

SWR and/or AAS and/or SWO, depending on his progress the rest of this year

Some sort of Latin and art

Piano lessons and our ongoing music appreciation

Homeschool gym

I will probably order MCT later and look it over very closely before deciding.

We won't have a field trip until my current house sells, and I'm thinking about NYC's museums spring 2011. (I sound optimistic, right?)

What we're using this year for 3rd:

Math - CLE 300

LA - CLE 300, WWE 3

Science - Singapore MPH 3/4 plus lots of library books

History - WP American Story I

Extras: Primarily Logic, Complete book of Maps & Geography + US geography , Abeka Health, Queen's Pictures in Cursive

Enrichment program includes: art, music, hands-on science experiments & pe.

Reading lots of books.

• 1 month later...

:iagree: I think 3rd grade should be tough - you're getting them ready for Middle School.

I'm working on our 3rd grade plans too. Here's what we're doing:

CLE LA 300

Singapore Math 3a, 3b

SL Core 2 History/Read-Alouds

Prima Latina

Oak Meadow 4 (LA, Science, Soc Studies, ART!)

German (at her request)

RS4K Chemistry Pre-Level I - we might do this for fun with our friends (another homeschooling family we work with all the time)

We did cursive this year...but HWOT Cursive was nice.

I think her school day will be about 4 hours (she's very mission-oriented).