Menu

Geometric Solids - what,where,when,why?

Aludlam

I've seen that lots of people recommend and use geometric solids. Please connect the dots on this one for me .... what do you use them for? Are these just the set of wooden shapes that you find on RR? Are they just for the 3-D effect? My dd8 learned her shapes from a workbook, but we are really looking to ramp up our math manipulatives (dd4 and ds3 following). I'm placing an Amazon and RR order this week and wanted to know if I should add these to our list.

thanks

Angela

I used nets as well and/or building blocs and items we already have around the house.

Honestly, geometric solids seem like some of the most useless manipulatives you can buy. At least if you're homeschooling.

"Look kids, here's a cylinder."

"Oh."

"Yup. That's a cylinder. That's my 5 dollar cylinder."

"It's looks just like that 50 cent soup can Mom."

"Sure does, doesn't it. Shall we move on to cones?"

"I can make one with this piece of paper Mom!"

"Did you pay $5 for that paper?"

"No but...."

"Then put it down, be quiet and stare at my $5 cone!"

I think having a nice set of smalling geometric solids is a staple in a math room. I have been very glad to have mine. I think I picked up a set of a dozen or so wood shapes through Rainbow Resource for under $20. (I added a few additional shapes from various block sets, too. It is nice to have two or more examples of certain shapes. . .)

We just pull them out when a geometric solids lesson comes up in math, as they do every so often. It is quite handy, IME, to be able to lay hands on them.

We've made paper shapes, as well, which is fine. But, having solid shapes is just better, IMHO, b/c you can really squish, feel, trace sides, etc more easily than you can with the fragile fold-n-tape shapes. IME, it is easy to find examples of cylinders and rectangular solids, but the various types of prisms and pyramids, elliptical solids, etc . . . not so much. It has been worth the small expense to me to have the solids all in one place, easy to reference and explore.

Edited by StephanieZ

They're not "solid" but they're very handleable, and you can take them apart and remake them differently. They're at www.zometool.com

Other than that we find examples around the house and make cardstock models with nets, which although delicate does give you opportunities for thinking about surface area and relationships of shapes (and of course you can cut them too, which is an added bonus...) But Zome is my favorite approach.

I think geometric solids are very important! The shapes come to life and the concepts can stay with you forever if presented correctly. Of course I loved this work as a child, and I loved teaching it in the classroom.:)

Instead of writing it out I found a website that has a good explanation of various way to teach it: http://www.joymontessori.net/2007/04/sensorial-geometric-solids.html

I also recommend the bases (you can make these)

and also the clear plastic ones you can fill with water, sand or what ever to teach volume (among many other concepts). My girls especially loved this work. They had a huge container to measure, make predictions, measuring cups to get accurate measurements. This is all very gratifying work.

Eventually this work for younger ones transitions into higher levels of learning, when that happens the child is already familiar and comfortable with so many of the concepts.http://www.microbiologybytes.com/maths/1010-9., everything is a step to something more complicated, you always go into it armed with some level of knowledge.

hth

I used nets as well and/or building blocs and items we already have around the house.
We make nets with Polydron, which I'd recommend heartily to anyone if it weren't for the price.

Honestly, geometric solids seem like some of the most useless manipulatives you can buy. At least if you're homeschooling.

"Look kids, here's a cylinder."

"Oh."

"Yup. That's a cylinder. That's my 5 dollar cylinder."

"It's looks just like that 50 cent soup can Mom."

"Sure does, doesn't it. Shall we move on to cones?"

"I can make one with this piece of paper Mom!"

"Did you pay $5 for that paper?"

"No but...."

"Then put it down, be quiet and stare at my $5 cone!"

LOL. Don't be afraid to get that $5 cylinder dirty. [Though $5 seems a bit pricy; I picked up our wooden 15 piece set for about $15.] We use paints and inks with ours. We use them in the sand box (waxed sand, great for making imprints) and as stamps. We mentally deconstruct the solid, making nets by stamping the faces on paper and then cut and tape the net together to see if we got it right.

Eventually this work for younger ones transitions into higher levels of learning, when that happens the child is already familiar and comfortable with so many of the concepts.http://www.microbiologybytes.com/maths/1010-9., everything is a step to something more complicated, you always go into it armed with some level of knowledge.

hth

Helena,

This link seems broken.

I think having a nice set of smalling geometric solids is a staple in a math room. I have been very glad to have mine. I think I picked up a set of a dozen or so wood shapes through Rainbow Resource for under $20. (I added a few additional shapes from various block sets, too. It is nice to have two or more examples of certain shapes. . .)

We just pull them out when a geometric solids lesson comes up in math, as they do every so often. It is quite handy, IME, to be able to lay hands on them.

We've made paper shapes, as well, which is fine. But, having solid shapes is just better, IMHO, b/c you can really squish, feel, trace sides, etc more easily than you can with the fragile fold-n-tape shapes. IME, it is easy to find examples of cylinders and rectangular solids, but the various types of prisms and pyramids, elliptical solids, etc . . . not so much. It has been worth the small expense to me to have the solids all in one place, easy to reference and explore.

:iagree:

Helena,

This link seems broken.

Oops! Sorry about that. It was some random thing showing measurements of geometric shapes (older work). My point being, a child of 4 can learn things from geometric solids that can later apply to high school and college level work. It's planting seeds for the future.

Geo solids have so many fun parallel activities too!

I have a really cool set of geometric solids that are hollow, so you can fill them up and determine relative volume as well. They actually came with a booklet of ideas for hands-on lessons. Of course, I've barely used them for math lessons (we haven't actually gotten to volume of a solid in math lessons), but the kids love to fill them up to use for "potions". :glare: