Menu

For those who use vinegar in lieu of fabric softener in wash...

I add lavender essential oils to my white vinegar. About 20 drops per gallon. For each load, I add 2/3 cup to the last rinse, unless the load is really large, like sheets, towels or blankets, then I add 1 cup.

I am glad to read about using the essential oil and vinegar in the wash.

Now I know this sounds crazy, but since we're on the subject of washing, I have been wondering about adding an antiseptic to the wash at times. I have been adding a bit of concentrated Lysol, but I would like to use something a little less, I don't know, *caustic*?

So, I'm wondering about Listerine--the golden colored version, probably cheapie from Dollar General or so. Would that offer the same type of antiseptic action to the laundry, say, when my child has been playing in yucky rain water and mud? Just wondering....

Now I know this sounds crazy, but since we're on the subject of washing, I have been wondering about adding an antiseptic to the wash at times. I have been adding a bit of concentrated Lysol, but I would like to use something a little less, I don't know, *caustic*?

So, I'm wondering about Listerine--the golden colored version, probably cheapie from Dollar General or so. Would that offer the same type of antiseptic action to the laundry, say, when my child has been playing in yucky rain water and mud? Just wondering....

Tea Tree oil is a natural antiseptic, as is lavender.

Chlorine bleach!! You'd be amazed what you can bleach safely. Pretty much anything cotton comes out just fine. Cotton/poly does fine, too. (I am not so sure about nylon or other synthetics.)

HOT water and a hot dryer kill nearly anything, FWIW.

You could try adding some rubbing alcohol. I haven't added it to my laundry, but I do add it to my cleaner (1/3 part vinegar, 1/3 part water, 1/3 part 91% rubbing alcohol) which I use to disinfect by bathroom, kitchen counters and cutting board. It works great on hard surfaces, but I have idea how it reacts to clothing as far as bleaching-out the colors might go.

But, hey, it's worth a try!