Menu

Syllabification HELP!!

hmschooln

First Language Lessons 3, in the Dictionary skills area it covers this.

Just so you know, each syllable has a vowel sound, you do have to be careful, because some vowel sounds are very quiet. Also, if you look the word up in the dictionary the syllables will be separated, either by dashes, dots or just spaces. When in doubt, look it up :)

Mary Pecci's "Super Seatwork: Word Skills" has a great section on syllabication. Also very helpful sections on adding/dropping endings and suffixes; alphabetizing; dictionary skills; contractions; possessives; and more.

- See it at: http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Word+Skills/003946/1265913816-892495

- Available used through Amazon used, Alibris, etc.

- Available new for $20 through Mary Pecci's website: http://www.onlinereadingteacher.com/word_skills.html

It's taught in the "Explode the Code" program. I'm sorry,I do not remember exactly where in the program the lessons are taught.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=explode+the+code&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

It is in Book 4 and 4.5 (guess where we are right now in reading!?):001_smile:

Two years ago I attended a linguistics conference completely devoted to whether the syllable actually existed and if it did, how it could be identified.

So... I wouldn't panic if your daughter is confused. There are plenty of very bright phonologists out there who have the same problem!

http://www.cunyphonologyforum.net/syllconf.php

I will definitely be reading that. Thank you! Syllables are so interesting! Anyway, after studying linguistics for a good long time, my personal opinion is that the people making up the syllabications listed in the dictionary and many of these programs are just wrong. I would really like to hear them speak. Actually I would like to record them speaking so they can hear it for themselves.

I will stick to clapping syllables with my children, because I'm not going to teach them that English has some wonky syllable structure that defies the general rules of natural language.

I will definitely be reading that. Thank you! Syllables are so interesting! Anyway, after studying linguistics for a good long time, my personal opinion is that the people making up the syllabications listed in the dictionary and many of these programs are just wrong. I would really like to hear them speak. Actually I would like to record them speaking so they can hear it for themselves.

I will stick to clapping syllables with my children, because I'm not going to teach them that English has some wonky syllable structure that defies the general rules of natural language.

LOL!

In my research for developing my phonics lessons and reading about the history of reading instruction, I've read several books and articles written by linguists. Many of them stop speaking English after a while if they hang out in the field too long.

LOL!

In my research for developing my phonics lessons and reading about the history of reading instruction, I've read several books and articles written by linguists. Many of them stop speaking English after a while if they hang out in the field too long.

HA! Thank you for posting that. I will now know that I am not alone, with regards to my aversion to so much English, every time I go to a Deaf event just to get away from it for awhile.

• 1 month later...