Menu

Do you have trouble seeing at night?

Ever since I can remember I've had difficulty seeing at night, especially driving. Even when my dh and I were first married I wouldn't want to drive at night when we went on trips. It is worse when it is raining or snowing out and has progressively gotten worse as I have gotten older I have gone to the eye doctor. I wear glasses. She just told me that some people especially with astigmitism have difficulty seeing at night. At night everything tends to glare and have halos and I also have trouble with depth perception. When it is raining or snowing it is 10 times worse.

We are under a winter storm warning. It has been snowing all day but they didn't close the schools. My husband worked from home today so that he didn't have to deal with the traffic and snowy roads. My daughter is on poms and has to perform at the last basketball game tonight. She can't miss it and has no one else to bring her. Even though she has her driving permit I wouldn't have her drive tonight. We are having a bit of trouble with her driving lately anyway and she is sick so that wouldn't be a good combination. Staying home really isn't an option for her as the rest of the squad depends on her for the routine.

Earlier today I mentioned to my husband that I was surprised that they hadn't canceled the game. I asked him if he could drive tonight since it is supposed to be even worse out later. They are calling for near blizzard conditions later tonight. Even though right now it isn't too bad out I'm afraid things will be worse by the time the game is over. He said that he would see but didn't understand why I couldn't do it.

This afternoon when I got home from picking my daughter up from school I told him that the game was still on and that I need him to drive tonight. I told him that we would be eating early tonight but he said that he wasn't hungry and that he wasn't feeling well. He has been eating normally all day and has even worked out and went on the treadmill after lunch but now all of a sudden he says that he has been sick to his stomach all day. I'm not trying to put him down but I feel like he is coming up with an excuse why he can't. I'm just so frustrated because I can't get him to understand how difficult it is for me to drive in these conditions. He had eye surgery last year so that he no longer needs glasses. Now he sees perfectly so of course he can't understand. I know that he wore glasses for years but driving at night never bothered him. I just wish I could get him to understand. Can anyone relate? Any pointers? Is there anything that I can do to make driving easier at night?

My "night vision" has been getting worse the past few years. My family and I took a road trip last year, that required us to split up the driving. My shift was at night, on a highway, when it was pouring down rain. I was seriously terrified a few times. I could not see at all. DH didn't seem to understand the extent of my problem. I ended up getting some rx glasses with an anti-glare coating on it, just for driving at night (my vision is 20/20). It does help some, especially with reading road signs.

Well - I tried googling for some source to back me up - but I surely don't have the right combination of words.

But - I do remember reading that their seems to be a physiological difference regarding eye sight between men and women - with women generally being more sensitive to light at night time.

I have the same issues - its much better when I wear my glasses though. But I'm with you - I hate driving at night.

I have a question for those of you who wear sunglasses at night. Are they prescription sun glasses? I wear glasses so I would need the prescription kind. Also do you find that it helps significantly? I have never bought prescription sun glasses before because I only wear glasses for driving and haven't wanted to pay for the expense of the sunglasses too. I'm wondering if it would be worth it though if it would help me see better at night. It truly scares me to drive at night if it is raining or snowing since my perception is so off.

You are expecting near blizzard conditions and they haven't canceled the game????!!!!! That's completely irresponsible imo. I know you don't have any control over that, but I would not risk my life or my daughter's life for a pom routine. I'm sorry if they need her, but it wouldn't matter to me if I could see at night or not - I would not be driving in blizzard or near blizzard conditions for a ding-dong basketball game - a burst appendix, sure - but not for a basketball game or a pom routine. And, btw, I don't drive well at night either. Dd17's piano teacher is in college now and can only teach at night so we no longer take lessons for that very reason. I'm sorry your dh doesn't understand, but yes, there are many of us who find it very, very difficult to drive at night.

I have trouble seeing at night too. My dh knows and is happy to help out when he can.

How far away is the game? Any hotels nearby? I think I'd give my dh the choice. He could do the driving, or I'd go to a hotel afterwards and come home in the am.

I'm pretty sure I know which my dh would choose...

BTW, we had blizzard conditions forecasted today (Iowa) and it's turned out to be just a regular winter day. Might get worse tonight, but so far it's been just fine.

BTW, we had blizzard conditions forecasted today (Iowa) and it's turned out to be just a regular winter day. Might get worse tonight, but so far it's been just fine.

Good they just took away the blizzard warning for the counties next to us. I was afraid that we would be next. Now they are saying it shouldn't get too bad until later tonight and we should be home by then.

My husband finally agreed to drive us. It is only 20 minutes away but a few of the roads get pretty bad between here and there.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one though. Sometimes he makes me feel like I'm just being a wimp.

Good they just took away the blizzard warning for the counties next to us. I was afraid that we would be next. Now they are saying it shouldn't get too bad until later tonight and we should be home by then.

My husband finally agreed to drive us. It is only 20 minutes away but a few of the roads get pretty bad between here and there.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one though. Sometimes he makes me feel like I'm just being a wimp.

Dd and I were in Chicago for the weekend. We drove back on Sunday night, and the weather was fine until we crossed the Mississippi. Then the snow and ice started. It would have been fine if not for the semis blasting past at 70 mph on I-80, when everyone else was driving 40. We drove for about an hour before I gave up. We spent the night in a hotel 30 miles form home. I wasn't in any hurry to get home, anyway. :)

I've never liked driving at night. I don't need glasses now and have never had to wear them. But I remember an eye doctor telling me I have some slight astigmatism in one eye.

I notice that the brighter headlights on one of our cars helps. And I'm OK in town where there a plenty of lights. But once I get out in the country where it's pitch black on the roads ... I slow waaay down. And keep my headlights on bright as much as possible. It helps a little.

So, no you're not the only one .... tell your dh. ;)

I told my Uncle about my problems with night vision and he said that after he had his cataracts removed, he no longer had any problems with driving at night. He saw the halos around lights and all that before the surgery.

So when we can afford it, I'm going to get my eyes checked for cataracts, just in case.

I don't wear glasses or contacts. Nor have I been told I need glasses. However, for at least the past 11 years (or more) I cannot see well enough at night to drive and feel safe. I have trouble seeing the white lines on the road. I can't see well in snow or rain during the day either.

It really doesn't help that we live in an area with narrow roads, few street lights and high speed limits. We are almost out in the country. I do see a bit better in the city where there are lots of lights and other traffic illuminating the road.

I absolutely can't drive at night if it's raining. My kids were recently in an activity that didn't end until after dark. I literally drove off the road 3 times because it was raining and the glare from the oncoming traffic was just blinding to me. I will never do that again. I'm an earlybird, so I don't usually go out at night and I had forgotten how bad it could be.

I hope you were able to get your daughter safely.

Lisa

:grouphug:

Count me in with this problem. It can be hard because so many people just don't get that it is a functional problem, not just wimpiness or whatnot.

I drive at night only to take my kids to activities where I am familiar with the area. DH often helps by taking the nighttime leg of trips, while I do the daytime driving.

If I have to go somewhere new after dark, I will often prepare by finding the place ahead of time during the daytime, to familiarize myself with the area.

I have given up on church-related activities ... e.g. the women's group ... because they meet only at night. I just can't bring myself to do the extra nighttime driving that would be needed for me to participate in those things.

Once my kids are launched, I plan not to drive at night any more.

Sympathies,

Karen

From the Cleveland Clinic's website:

"What is night blindness?

Night blindness (nyctalopia) is the inability to see well at night or in poor light. It is not a disorder in itself, but rather a symptom of an underlying disorder or problem, especially untreated myopia (nearsightedness).

What causes night blindness?

Night blindness is due to a disorder of the cells in the retina that are responsible for vision in dim light. It has many causes, including:

* Myopia

* Glaucoma medications that work by constricting the pupil

* Cataracts

* Retinitis pigmentosa

* Vitamin A deficiency

To determine what is causing night blindness, an eye doctor will perform a thorough eye exam and may order any of a number of specialized exams.

How is night blindness treated?

Treatment for night blindness will depend upon its cause. Treatment may be as simple as getting a new eyeglass prescription or switching glaucoma medications, or it may require surgery if the night blindness is caused by cataracts."

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/night_blindness/hic_night_blindness.aspx

One of son's doctors did some research showing that vitamin A deficiency was a factor in night blindness. Ever since, I've paid close attention--as has my husband--to whether keeping up with supplementation helps us. It always has. We take cod liver oil for other reasons, but I always notice the night blindness getting worse when I've forgotten it for a while.

I have trouble seeing at night also. I have astigmatism and light colored eyes. My eye doctor said if your eyes are lighter colored you can have trouble with the head lights glare.

I got Anti-Reflective Coating on my glasses and it has helped alot with my night vision. It helps remove the halos around lights and the glare.

I will never get glasses with out this coating again.

When I drive at night lights, headlights, street lights etc. arc. This makes it very difficult to see or judge distance. Do you have that problem at all? I had a pair of glasses that were coated with something that minimized the streaking. I wish I knew what it was because my current ones are not and it is very difficult for me to drive at night.

Liz

I think you are referring to the Anti-Reflective coating for glasses. They remove the glare and halos. I have this on my glasses and it sure makes a huge difference.

One of son's doctors did some research showing that vitamin A deficiency was a factor in night blindness. Ever since, I've paid close attention--as has my husband--to whether keeping up with supplementation helps us. It always has. We take cod liver oil for other reasons, but I always notice the night blindness getting worse when I've forgotten it for a while.

I have never heard this and I would like to know more ... what exactly do you take and in what form? And what other approaches or forms did you find less helpful? Would you be willing to suggest a starting point for me to try? Etc. :)

:bigear:

Karen