Menu

Overwhelmed with curriculum choices

I don't know what it is but even though I have been researching HS options since my DD was 3 (she's just turned 6) I am completely overwhelmed and confused. We can't seem to get any sort of routine or continuity going. I suppose part of it is having a 5 yr old and a 4.5 month old in the mix.

I started her out with MFW K when she was 4 (she was begging me to "do school") and she did really well with everything we did. We took it slowly, and did it sporadically, finishing just before she turned 6. At the beginning of this year, we started MFW 1st, and we're moving slowly through that too. I found that the phonics was moving too fast for her, with not enough practice, so we switched to HOP K and are reviewing that. I might switch back to MFW 1st for the next phonics rule, and then do some "practice" with HOP. I am finding HUGE holes in her Math skills - she still doesn't know 10's/units, is not confident with counting above 19, and has no concept of addition or subtraction.

I personally love the fact that everything is given to me "in-a-box" with MFW, but I don't like being able to say, "We did this for science and this for history", but I really have to dissect a project/activity to separate the subjects - and sometimes I feel it's a stretch.

I have looked at so many wonderful curriculums out there, and I have drawn up a partial list of what looks good:

LA: Sing, Spell, Read, Write OR Hooked on Phonics OR Explode the Code

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears

Math: Math-U-See Primer (not too sure about this - may look into Singapore.)

Science: Apologia Elementary

History: The Mystery of History OR SOTW

Geography:

Foreign Language: Baby’s First Steps in French by Erika Levy / Bilingual Baby - French / “Teach Me Tapes†– Teach Me French / Ecoutez! Parlez! By Katleen Newton

The thing that scares me is trying to schedule it myself and getting it all done. Also, I'm not that great at "teaching lingo" and do much better if someone gives me the words to say to teach a concept (even if I don't repeat them verbatim, but at least I know what approach to take!)

Is it even possible for me to do this? I just feel really overwhelmed by now. I feel like I've missed a really great pre-K and K foundation, and yet she's too "old" to start all over again.

I'm not sure how to find curriculum that works for us without spending too much.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Caryn

and 1st grader. We're also using MFWK and plan to use MFW 1st when we get through K. The choices you have listed are all good ones (I'm assuming for next year?). We've used: ETC and MOH and both are very good. Both are easy to "teach" if you don't feel comfortable w/ teaching lingo. ETC is basically done by the student...no "real" teaching involved! MOH is all there for you as is SOTW. I've heard great things about Apol. Elem. and we plan to use it in coming years as well. As for grammar (if you are looking to add that), FLL 1/2 would be perfect since you say you need something scripted or at least need the words to use. That's what FLL is! If your dd is already 6 and knows how to count and how to write her numbers, I'd start her in MUS Alpha if you were to use MUS. It sounds like you have a good handle on your plan...just need to solidify choices. THAT is difficult w/ all the great programs out there...trust me, I'm in the same boat! Just to add more to your list :D I'm going to throw out another program you could use for your 6yo AND 5yo...Little Hearts for His Glory from Heart of Dakota. I've heard many good things about it. Then, there is FIAR which is also good. You had mentioned liking the "boxed" curriculums so that's why I threw those out there! Good luck...I know you'll get MANY more great responses! Isn't curriculum planning fun? :001_huh:

Sue, thank you for your response! Do you add all those programs to the MFW that you use? I guess I was feeling despondent and that I must be doing something wrong because it's touted as a program where you don't need to add anything, and as far as all the MFW users I know, most of them don't add anything.

I really went into it expecting that I wouldn't have to buy anything else, and yet I find with every subject that I want to suppliment it. If that's the case, I might as well drop it and use the programs that I'm supplimenting with, KWIM?

It is okay. 6 is very young. You don't have to do all of that. Focus on the important things - reading and math. Find what you are comfortable with, set some goals and work on it. At just turned 6, school shouldn't take very much of the day. Math, handwriting, phonics then listening to some stories or doing some fun projects or playing. That is all. Do the basics first. Once she is reading well and math is under control, then you will have more confidence, and she will be ready for more "schooling".

Phonics. What you have listed are all good. You know what will work with your family. Pick one and try it. Go slowly but consistently.

Math - MUS Primer and Sinapore are both great. So is Rod and Staff, Right Start, BJU , Abeka, and Horizons. (I'm sure I have missed some) but they don't all work for everybody. Pick one that looks promising and try it.

Handwriting - Handwriting without Tears is great. My dd goes back and forth between loving it and preferring italics (and preferring to never write anything).

The rest is all gravy -

Story of the World is great for the history (I like to play the cd in car or before bedtime). Put a map on the wall and talk about the places you read about. That works great for geography. Spring is coming, informal nature science is great for this age.

I know that many here really like MFW 1. So maybe you will go back to it, but I don't think that anything was lost or missed by doing MFW K and 1 so far.

Relax. It is okay.

You say you feel like you have to supplement the programs you use even if they are supposed to be complete? You might be a "tweaker." I suffer from an inability to follow anything as written. I must add-to and change everything I buy. I had to quit buying boxed curriculum because of my "problem." You will find your groove. Nothing works for everybody. It has to work for you and your student.

Thank you, Karen...I think my hyperventilating is slowly beginning to subside ;) I really appreciate the advice to relax and simplify things. You're right - reading and math are the most important right now, and we need to get through that as our focus. I love the gravy analogy. We do like gravy, though!

It's nice to get a diagnosis for my problem! :) I'm going to have to seriously think on that one...

Oh Caryn, she's only K5! You haven't messed up anything. You've tried something (MFW) and it doesn't fit you. You have a phonics program (HOP), so you just need a math program. You said budget is an issue. MUS is expensive, so how about looking at Horizons or Singapore? You don't need all those other things you listed (french, this and that). All you need is math, something to get her reading, and some read alouds from the library. You can do a handwriting workbook or just have her write the alphabet each day.

I remember feeling overwhelmed like that my first couple years too. It's not just that there are so many choices, but that you're trying to figure out what you're supposed to be doing. Focus on the basics (math and learning to read) and you can fill in the rest. As long as they learn to read, write, and do basic arithmetic, you basically can't mess up K5 and 1st grade, honest.

This statement:

" The thing that scares me is trying to schedule it myself and getting it all done."

Makes me think you would enjoy Heart of Dakota! We are loving Little Hands, but your child would benefit from Little Hearts. You might want to check out the discription and the sample week:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/little-hearts.php

It is all scheduled and easy to use. Open and go!

I have 6 dc whom all use or have used some of those programs! For example, ds6 & 8 are using ETC. Dd11, ds9, ds8 and I are doing MOH together this year and enjoying it. I've started MFWK w/ ds5 but as my baby is due any day...my brain just can't handle it right now so we will pick up w/ it in Sept. My ds6 has gone on an academic strike (don't ask!). Doesn't want to do ANYTHING academic (no ETC, no SWO, no math, etc.) so I'm planning to use FIAR with him and ds5 through the summer as a "fun" program. I'm considering Little Hands for my dd2 who is very bright and ready for something more structured, but still gentle.

As for MFW and supplementing...I would only use a math program with MFWK and perhaps the ETC primers or OPG if my dc were ready to advance beyond the phonics taught in MFWK. I can't say anything about 1st, b/c we haven't used it yet! We are doing MFW ECC next year with my older 4 and I don't know if we will supplement science or not. MFW can stand alone for K, IMHO, unless you have a dc who is ready to move faster, KWIM? Otherwise, don't worry about it! You have so many more years of hsing ahead to use those other curriculums, KWIM? Mental note: take my own advice, :D

Last word of advice to you AND to me: Pray about it. God will reveal to you what HE wants for your dc to accomplish and what programs to use as well. I often have to remind myself of that. Hang in there...:)

Thank you all so much for all that input. I think I'm finally going to be able to go to sleep (it's 1:30am here on the East Coast ;) ) I love the look of Little Hearts ... I will look into that at the MassHOPE conference. In the meantime, I'm going to take a step back and breathe. And I'm going to focus on reading and math. Hopefully everything else will be added fun, because you're right - they're still little. We have plenty of time.

And most of all, I'm going to pray. I really have not looked to the Lord for the answers I need as much as I should have. He has used you all to point me in the right direction, both with HS'ing AND most importantly, back to Him.

He is so good.

Thank you again - since it's 1:34 am and you have all managed to calm me down, I might actually be able to go to bed now!

~Caryn~

Caryn,

I was on my way to bed when your post caught my eye. I, too, am feeling overwhelmed right now. I think it's a combination of trying to wrap up this school year while planning for next's and feeling frazzled from not scheduling enough *down* time for me! However, I want to offer you a couple of suggestions.

First, try to get it out of your mind that at "6" she's too old to start all over. I agree that continuity in curriculum is important, but when something isn't working you need to change it. At the age of 6, most instruction can be accomplished without the use of formal curricula. I can and will tell you what works for my dd's and others can share their successes. However, if I were you I would make a list of YOUR priorities and then work from that. Get your most important subjects covered. Get a daily routine going and THEN add in the extras when/if you can.

For me, the most important things for a 6 year old to focus on are: reading, writing, math, read-aloud & playtime. That's it. Yours may be different. But, since I don't know what yours are, let's use mine for an example:

1. Read-aloud: Go online to your local library's website & request a good book such as The Complete Tales by Beatrix Potter, Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling, anything by A.A. Milne. Have your husband pick the books up when they come in and you'll have the best literature possible in your hands to read to your dc for free. :)

2. Reading: I used Alpha-Phonics by Samuel Bloomfield to teach both my dd's to read. It's one book (no frills or pictures) and you start on page 1 with the letter sounds and keep going. My 4 yr. old is reading well. She just finished the Frog & Toad Series by Lobel. But, phonics is phonics. So, no matter which program you use or don't use I would pick up some very simple readers (such as Dick & Jane or the McGuffey and Elson readers) from your library or print them off project gutenberg online and have your dd practice sounding out the words each day. 15 minutes, tops.

3. Writing: HWOT is good. That's what we've used. But, once I saw what the books contained I didn't need to use all the books in the program. Both my dd's learned to form their manuscript letters with HWOT but then I moved them straight into copywork. Very short sentences at first and on to longer (paragraph-length) passages with dd7. With dd4, I like to write words with a yellow highlighter and then have her trace them in addition to copying some.

4. Math: We use Singapore. In this case, math is not math. There's traditional math and then there's Singapore. As for settling on a curriculum I would try to make this choice pretty quick. I think the daily consistency and familiarity with a math program breeds success (regardless of which program you choose.) But, counting and basic addition & subtraction are all things that I taught my dc on my own. Ask her how many fingers the baby has? How many toes? Does the baby have more or less fingers than toes? Oh... the same. Good! How many fingers and toes the baby have altogether? You get my point... these are really pretty easy concepts to work on even in a non-school setting. Turn the next diaper change into a math lesson! :)

5. Play: If you can find a used copy of volume 1 of SOTW history on audio CD -- buy it! Put it in the cd player and let dd listen to it as she's coloring or playing with barbies. I would not worry about history and science until I had the core subjects determined and we were all in a groove.

I've got to head to bed or I won't be up to the challenge of my own tomorrow. But, you're not behind at all -- take that pressure off of yourself. Enjoy your new baby and educating your precious children. You'll settle into your own path and feel more comfortable soon. Best wishes!!

I've been in a similar boat, so I know how you feel.

What I finally ended up doing was focusing on the 3R's. I find that I tweak less when I pick a very complete, advanced program that has plenty of pa and built in review.

It sounds like HOP is working, so I really think you should stick with that. I personally love HOP.

For handwriting, I'm thinking you should stick with ball-and-stick since that was what she was learning in MFW, right? If you switch to HWT now I think it would be very confusing for her.

An excellent ball-and-stick programs that have plenty of review is: Rod and Staff first grade penmanship series. This series has a page or two for every day of the year,s o you know she's getting enough.

For math, I think you should pick something very complete with lots of review...that's not so expensive. Horizons is our favorite. However, Horizons moves quickly so I would buy some Kumon numbers books to prepare her for Horizons. Once she's really writing numbers well up to 20, then start Horizons K. It's not expensive and it's easy to do.

I would stop the planning on history and Science. First you need to prove to yourself and your dd that you can get the basics down. Just read good books for now. Once you have been faithful and found your groove in the basics, then branch out with Science and history. SHe'll learn so much science and history from library books anyway, just naturally.

This is what I did for the past 6 months and I'm really glad it worked, because now this coming year (when ds will be 6-7) I feel like I can keep consistent on the basics and tackle two more formal subjects. (BIble and Science)

I had tried a lot of boxed programs that I didn't like. It's not so much really that there was something wrong with the programs, it was more that I needed to find what worked for me and learn to stick with something long-term. And my son, too...I needed to find what worked for him. He needs mastery based learning with plenty of review and practice (though I love Horizons I use something else for math facts and he has to practice writing numbers all the time because he forgets by the time it spirals back around!)

remember- you can't mess up k and 1...it's virtually impossible so :chillpill: and try to use these two years to figure out what style/method/curricula/schedule works for you!!

Caryn, you have received some great advice so I won't add on anything else. But I do want to offer some ecouragement. What you are describing is not 'starting over.' It's called re-evaluating and going on from there. Everyone does it. I recently evaluated my 8 yr. old's progress and realized we were slipping up in the LA dep't. So we tweaked some things, changed some things and we are back on track. Re-evaluating, tweaking, changing is part of a homeschooling mom's life. You can't get always get it right the first time.

I had three years to research what curriculum and method we were going to use. When it actually came time to use all of the great stuff I had, I realized that alot of it wasn't going to work, either because it didn't suit my teaching style or it didn't suit my children's learning style. It took awhile to find our groove. But we did find it.

So take heart. You are not behind. You are not starting over. You are just taking the scenic route. You will get to your final destination. You will be all the wiser for it as well.

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

Relax...make sure you get in penmanship, math, and reading and relax about the rest. Any of the programs you listed will work. Just pick one for each subject and work through it.

Reading is key, so make sure you work on that even if you get nothing else done! Once they get to about a 4th grade reading level they can start reading to learn. Oh, but, now do NOT freak out if little Sally is reading better than your little angel...they all do it at their own pace.

I would be relaxed about the rest of the subjects. Yes, I would do them, but not stress about them. Pick something and do it as consistly as you can, but definitely do not stress.

Oh, and don't keep piling on subjects. I know they all look good, but you won't be able to keep up and you will get discouraged. Ask me how I know???? :blush:

If you decided to go with Sing Spell Read and Write you could get the K/1st combo. Your 5 year old could do the K letter pages along with the older child doing the 1st grade letter pages. Do the same letter each week/day with them. They both would love the songs and the phonics games. I used SSRW ( I did tweek the writing..felt it was too much). My dd6 is finishing up the 1st grade part and my ds is starting to use the letter pages (coloring, pasting etc.) to learn his letter sounds. They both like the songs and the bingo/card games.

Hope you find what works for you.

Sheryl in GA

As for MFW and supplementing...I would only use a math program with MFWK and perhaps the ETC primers or OPG if my dc were ready to advance beyond the phonics taught in MFWK. I can't say anything about 1st, b/c we haven't used it yet! We are doing MFW ECC next year with my older 4 and I don't know if we will supplement science or not. MFW can stand alone for K, IMHO, unless you have a dc who is ready to move faster, KWIM? Otherwise, don't worry about it! You have so many more years of hsing ahead to use those other curriculums, KWIM? Mental note: take my own advice, :D

Last word of advice to you AND to me: Pray about it. God will reveal to you what HE wants for your dc to accomplish and what programs to use as well. I often have to remind myself of that. Hang in there...:)

Totally agreeing with this! :001_smile: ETC or OPG would be very easy to supplement the phonics portion of MFW, if that's a need. As for math, MFW takes a Charlotte Mason approach to this which is understanding concepts more than just being able to calculate. Have you followed the math recommendations in MFW?

If your the type of person that likes to have something that will take you step by step have you looked into Saxon . That sounds more like it would work well for you and for her .

From what you say I would start with Saxon K since she is not confident in counting past 19 . I really liked the hands on with the curriculum and it doesnot at this point expect kids to write .

But then everyone will have their opinion on the matter . But it that may help her with math at least .

Mystery of History , though it is an outstanding program may be a bit too high of a level for her and you may not want to use it with her until at least 4th grade. I do remember at sometime I read that it should be used with at least a 4th grade and can be adapted for siblings . But to start it with the oldest child . So I would probably go with SOTW instead .

Science at that age what I really liked was Sonlight's science . They have the books and a DVD that goes with the science . It shows everyone step by step how to do the science experiements and so on . Just the DVD alone makes a great science program for a 6yr old . I do like the looks of the Apologia science though . But just thinking of things that won't overwhelm you too :>)

We really like Handwriting without Tears. Easy to teach and produces good handwriting .

If you already have HOP then I would stick with it . I know I saw HOP kits at our Barnes and Nobles stores that go up to 2nd grade . I'm not sure if they include phonics books though . You may want to throw in Explode the Code if you want .

Other then that I'm sure you'll get everything all figured out soon . It is overwhelming . Sometimes I think we all have too many choices when it comes to curriculum :>)

I just want to encourage you and be one more "It's all good" voice for you. I would not worry about a thing at this point - you're not behind, you're just getting started! I find myself getting frustrated because I have this mental image of how I want our school to be, to "look" like and to feel like...and we're just not there yet. It's the 'yet' I have to keep reminding myself of - we're getting there, I'm just impatient. I have to keep telling myself to stop, chill and ENJOY where we are NOW. It's all a journey, I'm constantly re-assessing my goals, methods, plans, etc. And I think most people are, and it's okay. But in the meantime, just enjoy what you're doing in the moment. Don't let the idea of changing direction or plans or curriculum take away the joy that you've had so far, kwim?

It's all good.

:)

Melissa

Hello Caryn,

I haven't read all the replies, so hope I'm not repeating anything.

We also use MFW and I've had to tweak but for different reasons (we homeschool bilingual and some things we do in Spanish). The MFW1 phonics does move fast for some. I just started (again) the phonics this January, dd's second grade year (Spanish is her first reading language and English was getting confusing for her last year, although she's bilingual). Are you using the games suggested in the Appendix? My dd enjoys those, as well as HOP (yes, we use that too. We got it free from a friend.).

And, I don't think it's too late start something over. We missed a lot of the 1st program last year because I was working full-time. Although she loves math, I noticed there was a gap. So, this week, I pulled out 1st, looked up book suggestions for math, checked out Family Games for Math, and that's what we're doing.

I wouldn't worry about where she is in math. My daughter finished K as a 6yo (turned 6 in Sept. of K year). She couldn't remember what 6, 7, and 9 were written down, let alone recognize numbers above that. By the end of 1st grade, I saw I had nothing to worry about. Something "clicked" and she grew mathmatecally by leaps and bounds.

Your daughter is still very young. If you are using the math in MFW, it's a good base (that's why I'm going back to do the things I didn't do last year). Using the manipulatives that you make, etc., continue showing adding and subtraction before putting it down on paper. There are a bunch of ideas in MFW1, Family Games for Math, and I believe in Ruth Beechick's books (I can't look at them right now because I let someone borrow them :001_huh:). Showing them concretely is very important right now.

I wouldn't add anything to what you're doing. HOP is a good program (my friend's kid learned to read with it, and my dd is really enjoying it!) and will give your dd the practice she needs. Also, remember, you make a curriculum work for you, you don't have to make yourself fit into the curriculum. However, there are many things in MFW that will lay a great foundation if used, even if you do it more slowly that suggested.

Renai

I have come back to this thread many times to read over all the wonderful advice and encouragement that was given. Thanks again for the input and the encouragement.

I've decided to go ahead with MFW 1st for the rest of the year, using HOP for practice, and adding in Singapore Earlybird in conjunction with the MFW math. Since it's spring time, I thought I would just "suppliment" the science with outdoorsy things, not anything scheduled.

I am reminded that she is only K5, and we are going to focus on the basics, and fun. After all, when I was at school we only started learning to read in 1st grade, so she's doing pretty awesome :)

I was originally going to say "she's only in K" too, but I see everyone else has already mentioned that. You must have had some reason for starting her first grade year, though. So let me just say that there are not "huge holes" in her math education. In my son's K year at public school, they did almost no math. That's one reason he wanted to homeschool, LOL!

I know you like the boxed curriculum, but one reason many of us can't do that is because our children work at different levels in different subjects. Since you started first grade with your dd, she must be working at that level in some subjects, but don't push her if she is not "wired" for math yet. Even one-to-one correspondence (necessary for counting objects) is not a given at very young ages. Sometimes you just need to wait, and then find that math is SO much easier because the child's brain is ready.

May I just suggest one more curriculum? (Gee, buddhabelly, obviously you didn't read the thread title. :001_huh:) I think Right Start Math is just super for teaching mathematics well on a conceptual level. You could start with "B" and just breeze through it until you find where she should be. It is especially good for place value. JMHO. And since you really can't make good use of Right Start if you start it much later, I like to try to suggest it to parents of 5 or 6yos.

If you are overwhelmed, just do math, reading/phonics and perhaps a handwriting program if she is ready. Good luck!

Buddhabelly