Menu

I'm trying to get the chemicals out of our home. I've replaced

the cleaning products. What do you recommend for shampoo and conditioner and body soap? I've tried making homemade washing powder, but that was awful. If you have a recommendation for washing powder, I'll take that as well. Also, what kind of lotion helps with dry skin?

Thanks,

Molly

I wash my face w/ honey and use castile soap for any other body washing needs except hair. I just use water on my hair daily and an apple cider vinegar rinse (1/2 cup vinegar to two cups of water -- but I'm still tweeking that) once/week. Straight vinegar had a delightful effect on my hair but the scent was just too strong! And, btw, if that is a recent pic of you, you have a lot less hair than I. You wouldn't need as much.

I also tried a laundry soap but didn't like it at all. I would really LOVE to find a good recipe for that!!

I haven't tried it yet but plan to next time it's due: http://www.divacup.com/

using honey and keeping soap use to only the very necessary, my skin isn't as dry except for now, winter. I use a variety of oils and essential oils mixed. I've made lotion before but they were essentially whipped oils/butters and essential oils so now I just skip the heating and whipping and use the oils.

My next project is sunscreen. That recipe is basically an oily lotion with zinc oxide. I haven't tried it yet, though.

I wound't mind usubg a less oily lotion but I haven't found one yet.

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

the cleaning products. What do you recommend for shampoo and conditioner and body soap? I've tried making homemade washing powder, but that was awful. If you have a recommendation for washing powder, I'll take that as well. Also, what kind of lotion helps with dry skin?

Thanks,

Molly

Hi, Molly: I will PM you.:001_smile:

Shea butter is actually a very good moisturizer.

Baking soda is wonderful for body scrubs and deoderant and if you have oily hair it is also good as a scalp scrub. For the home it is a wonderful scouring powder and deoderizer.

Castile soap is a wonderfuly gentle cleanser for hair and body and I also use it as a general cleaner around the house as well.

Vinager is a wonderful rinse for the hair because it removes residues and actually conditions the hair (apple cider vinager that is, and don't use it straight, dilute about 1 oz. in a pitcher of water). It is also a good glass cleaner and disinfectant.

I buy soap and shampoo bars from:

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/

I've been using the shampoo bars for a couple years now and really like them. We have hard water, so I use a dilute vinegar rinse after rinsing my hair, and it did take about a month of my hair feeling strange before all the residue from regular shampoo/conditioner was removed. Before this, I always had to use conditioner (I have long hair) or I wouldn't be able to comb through my hair. With the shampoo bars, I don't need conditioner at all.

Someone on this forum recommend Oil Cleansing for you face recently. I've been doing it for about a week and am happy with the results so far. I have sensitive skin that bounces back in forth from being painfully dry and break outs. My skin feels healthier then it has in years after just a week. I'm excited to see if works for the long term. Just Google Oil Cleansing. I'm interested now in No Poo for my hair!

Thanks,

Molly

Laundry: Country Save with 1/2 cup soda, Biokleen Laundry Bleach Plus to replace bleach, White Vinegar to replace fabric softener/sheets

Personal: Earth Science Fragrance Free Shampoo and conditioner, Lavilin Underarm Deo or Tom's of Maine Unscented Deodorant Stick , Nature Clean

All Natural Soap

General cleaning: My best friends are baking soda, white vinegar and H2O2

If you are interested, send me a note with your email address and I will send you a note back with 3 articles I have written on the subject of a natural life style.:001_smile:

Nearly anything you'd want to use is fine so long as you look to exclude products that contain things like sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates; phthalates; or paraben.

I've used a variety of things. As someone else mentioned, I use honey on my face and castille soap on my body at this time. I've used a lot of Burt's Bees products, which are all nice and widely available. I'm using an Aubrey Organics shampoo right now (chamomile). Mayonnaise (or just eggs) make a good conditioner!

I've used a lot of different laundry detergents, too: Biokleen, Method, Dr. Meyer's, to name a few. I like them all. I use Seventh Generation non-bleach whitener (hydrogen peroxide).

A little mineral oil in a tepid bath will do a great job moistening skin all over. Any type of oil could be used, really. Olive oil is great for skin (if pricey).....

Guest mom2blu

Does anyone have info on No 'Poo and vinegar for use in more ethnic hair? My son is mixed (black/white) and while we almost never use shampoo in his hair (just LOTS of conditioner) I'm wondering if this may be a better option all around.

Someone on this forum recommend Oil Cleansing for you face recently. I've been doing it for about a week and am happy with the results so far. I have sensitive skin that bounces back in forth from being painfully dry and break outs. My skin feels healthier then it has in years after just a week. I'm excited to see if works for the long term. Just Google Oil Cleansing. I'm interested now in No Poo for my hair!

You can do this with your body too. I used to rub my eyes raw to get all the make up off with products that were supposed to be gentle and effective. I never found anything more effective than plain old oil. I just get my face wet and then massage about 1/2 tsp of oil on it. I can get right into my lash line too. No eye irritation at all. Every last bit of makeup comes off. I just follow it with a gentle cleanser and that is it.

I recently happened upon a website with a "recipe" for homemade deodorant. I almost laughed but had nothing better to do than try it - and guess what: It works!

Coconut oil

Baking Soda

Mix until consistency becomes cream like. That's all - REALLY.

:)

I buy soap and shampoo bars from:

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/

I've been using the shampoo bars for a couple years now and really like them. We have hard water, so I use a dilute vinegar rinse after rinsing my hair, and it did take about a month of my hair feeling strange before all the residue from regular shampoo/conditioner was removed. Before this, I always had to use conditioner (I have long hair) or I wouldn't be able to comb through my hair. With the shampoo bars, I don't need conditioner at all.

We LOVE Chargin Valley products, used them for over a year, and highly recommend the company.

We're using the CG (Curly Girl) method of hair care & do not use any products with parabens, silicones, detergents, and other gross stuff in our hair.

There are numerous companies that sell all natural & organic personal care products--just visit your local natural food store or Whole Foods market.

We like Jason Kiss My Face & Aubrey Organics for body care, and have decent results from Trader Joe's natural products.

We use vinegar & baking soda for most of our cleaning, but also purchase some commercial all natural products.

Does anyone have info on No 'Poo and vinegar for use in more ethnic hair? My son is mixed (black/white) and while we almost never use shampoo in his hair (just LOTS of conditioner) I'm wondering if this may be a better option all around.

Outside of a once a month use of chargin Valley shampoo bar, we do NOT use ACV (apple cider vinegar) more than once per month, and diluted 1:3 as it can dry out curly hair.

We use conditioner for co-washing or no-pooing our hair. We also use organic olive oil or coconut oil or shea butter in our hair, especially during the winter months. Use just a little oil--about a dime size dollop--rub between hands, then rake through your son's hair. Oh, we also leave conditioner in our hair. See this site:

http://www.tightlycurly.com/welcome/

and this site:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/forumdisplay.php?f=42