Menu

Alice in wonderland.....

mlgbug

I'm sure DS didn't understand it, but it survives re-reading very well... there's always something more to discover in that one. And there are some really hysterical parts that appealed to him even that young.

But the one we absolutely adored was the Wizard of Oz. There's an illustrated version that was perfect... Illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger. It has a different "look" than many of the others I've seen, but it's gorgeous.

Oh and Paddington Bear!! I think we might have started that a little younger, but I'm sure we were still reading them by then... and if she's into fairies and magic and swordfighting, she might like the Edward Eager books (Half Magic) and the E. Nesbit books.

I'm not sure that any of those would be 2nd-4th grade reading level though... Still probably worth a try!

I hear this book is best appreciated once you're older (like maybe adult), but I'll be reading it to my 5 year old this year anyway. She can sit and listen to anything, so I think she'll be okay with it.

Preferably we'll read this before the movie comes out... (We are big movie-goers).

Our first read alouds are usually Catwings, Our Father's Dragon, Wolf Story, Animal Family, The Stories Julian Tells, Chocolate Fever, the Iron Giant.

We're loving Winnie the Pooh for the third time! And that's just in the last few months! :lol:

Our Father's Dragon & Wolf Story! These are fantastic!

Now, we're going to have to check out Animal Family and The Stories Julian Tells since they are in the same recommendation line :D

I wouldn't read it to that age just because they wouldn't understand a lot of it. We read it to my son when he was 10 and he didn't care for it, however recently he had to read it himself as part of LL7 and he thoroughly enjoyed it.

We tried the full length version with my daughter when she was almost 5 and that did not go over well. A few months later, we did a richly illustrated version from the library - 9x12 pages with pictures on every or every other page. That was a hit.

Check out the Sonlight K book list for some fabulous suggestions. We've read quite a few of their selections and haven't been disappointed yet.

My girls liked Ramona at that age. And, it was around that age that the the girls received, Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg, and Fairy Haven and the Quest for the Wand. My DH read them to the girls and they LOVED them. We also read them The Chronicles of Narnia. You could try those!

Blessings!

Dorinda

shes into fairies, and magic and sword fighting.....

think The Seeker show :)

we read an awsome book Loretta and the Little Fairy. it was too short imo, 51pages...we did it in a night. but the reading level was great...said grade 2-4

My older dd loves Alice and Wonderland. My younger, not so much. It is one that is best saved for later.

For read alouds for that age, I have always stuck with picture books then gradually moved into chapter books as they started reading on their own. But, E.B.White is the big exception to this - my kids loved E.B.White as bedtime stories and hearing them early encouraged them to want to read them on their own.

She might like the Unicorn's secret series by Kathleen Duey or the Magic Treehouse series as read alouds, but I usually save those for early chapter book reading.

One more is No Flying in the House - it is wonderful book - except for the part that made me cry.

And both of my girls love Paul O. Zelinsky illustrated fairy tales. Marianna Mayer and K.Y. Craft are other terrific illustrators. We love the richly illustrated and beautifully retold fairy tales. They have wonderfully rich language and beautiful illustrations.

The Girl Who Loved Caterpillars

Father Bear's Fantastic Scarf

The actual Bible, NIV (pick the stories)

The Sneetches

The Lorax

The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins

Frog and Toad books

Amelia Bedelia books

Little Bear books

My Bookhouse (if you can find it. A 10 volume set IIRC, the early volumes easier than the later ones. OOP, but watch for it; it's great to have around.)

The Wizard of Oz (the book is far less scarey than the movie)

Not One Damsel In Distress

Not the original text, but an abridged version would work. I like the ones Barnes & Noble carries.

Dot & I read Wizard of Oz last summer, and she loved it. She likes "Little House in the Big Woods" and the B&N version of "A Little Princess" too.Her brothes at that age liked "Charlotte's Web."

Edited by skaterbabs