Menu

Colonial term for "pregnancy"?

Does anyone know a word or phrase commonly used for "pregnancy" during colonial times in America? I would assume "with child" or "expecting" but I can't find a good source to back me up.

We are doing a colonial apothecary for a colonial day at our tutorial tomorrow, so I am quickly trying to do some research.

Thanks!

...but I think that that was a term that came into use later, maybe in the mid 1800's or so.

Colonial people were very King James Version Bible-literate, and the classic Nativity term in the KJV is 'great with child'. (As in, "And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, unto the City of David which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, to be taxed with Mary, his espoused wife, being great with child.")

In Jane Austen's books (Regency), women are referred to as "in their confinement" or "lying in" later in pregnancy when they are not expected to venture out anymore. Would one of these be appropriate for colonial America?

Wendi

Those are the only terms I have ever seen used. That is an interesting question, but I don't think it was really ever referred to, except as lying in or time of confinement. IOW, I'm not sure that "pregnancy" was actually spoken of. "With child" or "in the family way" could have been used too...

What a great question!

I think the term is "with child", too.

I thought this was such an interesting question, I had to do a little research. :)

For Sharpe & Dificult Trauel in Women with Child

Take a Lock of Vergins haire on any Part of ye head, of half the Age of ye Woman in trauill. Cut it very smale to fine Pouder then take 12 Ants Eggs dried in an ouen after ye bread is drawne or other wise make them dry & make them to pouder with the haire, giue this with a quarter of a pint of Red Cows milk or for want of it giue it in strong ale wort.

Anyone want to try this cure? :lol:

I'm not sure of the "correct" answer to this question..although it has raised an interest in me. I found these terms for pregnant and pregnancy: abundant, anticipating, carrying a child, enceinte, expectant, expecting, fecund, fertile, fraught, fruitful, gestating, gravid, heavy, hopeful, in family way, parous, parturient, preggers, productive, prolific, replete, teeming, with child, fertilization, germination, gravidity, gravidness, impregnation, parturiency, propagation birthing, childbirth, lying-in, motherhood, parturition, travail

One doesn't speak of such things in polite society, of course. That's why there are so many indirect references in colonial writings to "so and so" was sick yesterday and now there is a new baby girl. "With child" is probably the most accurate if you must be direct, but it is even better if you can refer to being sick or give an impression of pregnancy without saying anything about the condition at all.

Guest Virginia Dawn
One doesn't speak of such things in polite society, of course. .

I'm not so sure that assumption is correct. That is really a Victorian sentiment. There is some evidence that colonialists were probably a little more "earthy."

Here is an excerpt from a Virginian newspaper in 1777: DESERTED from the 2d Virginia Regiment in New Jersey, the following ...Serjeant, 30 Years of Age...his Wife, who was heavy with Child, went off with him...the Serjeant...enlisted into Captain Alexander's Company, and may be taken in Frederick County, Virginia. ALEXANDER SPOTSWOOD, Col. 2d Virg. Reg.

Here is a link that gives some interesting info: http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/historyonline/childbirth.cfm

Edited by Virginia Dawn

The answer I received from Colonial Williamsburg was that "pregnancy" was used uncommonly as a medical term, but the more common ways of saying the same thing would have been "with child" or "in an increasing way" which I thought was very descriptive both of the woman and her family.

I feel like I should give a prize for those who guessed correctly!

Thanks anyway!

I'm not so sure that assumption is correct. That is really a Victorian sentiment. There is some evidence that colonialists were probably a little more "earthy."

Here is an excerpt from a Virginian newspaper in 1777: DESERTED from the 2d Virginia Regiment in New Jersey, the following ...Serjeant, 30 Years of Age...his Wife, who was heavy with Child, went off with him...the Serjeant...enlisted into Captain Alexander's Company, and may be taken in Frederick County, Virginia. ALEXANDER SPOTSWOOD, Col. 2d Virg. Reg.

Here is a link that gives some interesting info: http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/historyonline/childbirth.cfm

Ok. I work for a mid-19th century museum, so that makes sense. While I'm well immersed in Victorian literature, it has been a few years since I reviewed the colonial documents during college work.