Menu

Book A Week in 2010 - Book Week Three

Since last post I have read:

A Conspiracy of Ravens by Gilbert Morris

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

I finished Breaking Dawn just hours ago. I thoroughly enjoyed the books. I see myself rereading them down the road. Now I can go see the movie. :D

Looking at starting The Other Boleyn Girl next...I think.

Good night, ya'll! I am a fast reader but I am stealing moments in the bathroom to get enough reading in to do a book a week. I am just amazed at how much everyone is getting read!

I am only getting time because I have neglected EVERY thing else while devouring the Twilight books. :blush:

I hope that I can get back to some semblance of order now that I've finished...at least till the next "can't put it down" book comes along:lol:

Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss.

I really enjoyed that book :)

Not at all. Anything by Lewis is a classic in my mind.

:iagree:

I am about to start Fahenheit 451 to read along with my dd.

That is such a good book! I hope your dd enjoys it.

Madame Bovary ... I ... Am ... DONE! :svengo:

Classic? Yes. Depressing? Yes! Read again? Hopefully never.

Oh dear, that's on my list.

I read:

The Jungle - Upton Sinclair

A Two-Part Invention - Madeleine L'Engle

The Geurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows

last week

This week I'm reading "The Autobiography of Mark Twain" and I absolutely LOVE it. I started it on Friday and it is taking awhile, but it's another book that I can't just gulp down. This is a book that is meant to be enjoyed slowly :D I'll be done by Sunday (on the home stretch right now). I know I'll be sad when it's over.

Next up is "Uncle Tom's Cabin," just waiting for it to come into the library.

Picked up The Good Earth by Pearl Buck yesterday and couldn't put it down. Finished it at 12:30 last night. All I can say is WOW! :thumbup: It was Amazing! Nothing is new under the sun, all cultures and peoples go through the same hardships, trials and blessings generation after generation. A must read.

Yeah! Now I'm ahead!

Dorinda

:iagree::iagree: Read it last summer- a great read!

I finished "The Autobiography of Mark Twain" today. How someone could live such a life and still have a sense of humor I don't know.

The deaths he faced... I think I sobbed over almost the entire final half of the book. If you've ever wondered what "whistling in the dark" meant, I think this book pretty much covers it.

After ditching Sense and Sensibility half way, and getting much of the way through Pride and Prejudice before needing to bring it back to the library, I found Mr. Darcy's Diary on their "recommended" shelf. I'm really enjoying this one! I'm sure I have a greater appreciation for it after watching the P&P movies this week and reading (most of) the book - don't know if I'd get half as big a kick out of it if I picked it up "green". :)

Try these too:

Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife

Me and Mr. Darcy

Since last post I have read:

A Conspiracy of Ravens by Gilbert Morris

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

I finished Breaking Dawn just hours ago. I thoroughly enjoyed the books. I see myself rereading them down the road. Now I can go see the movie. :D

Looking at starting The Other Boleyn Girl next...I think.

Good book. We studied Henry and his many wives and it was fun to have so much trivia to add to it :p

I'm just finishing up Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb tonight and will probably start the 3rd in the series in a few days. I was sidetracked in my reading this week. I found a book called 10 Days to a Less Defiant Child: The Breakthrough Program for Overcoming Your Child's Difficult Behaviorby Jeffrey Bernstein, Phd. and I've been reading it slowly and rereading it slowly... I've never read a book that described my son so thoroughly, it's been amazing and extremely eye opening. I still have more than half to go - I really don't want to rush through this one. I'm hoping dh will read this after I'm done with it, but it's doubtful. I've also started The Landmark Herodotus: The Histories edited by Robert B. Strassler. WEM recommended an un-annotated edition, but I was really getting lost. I'm really enjoying the background information, and the maps (127!) are great, but I think my previous version may be a better translation. Knowing me, I will go through both at the same time.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through New York by Edward Rutherfurd. It's a sweeping historical fiction novel that chronicles the growth of New York City from it's beginnings (back when it was New Amsterdam) to present day. The book follows several families from different backgrounds.

Thumbs up, so far...

I begged my librarian for light reading recommendations. She handed me "The City of Ember" and I gulped it down Friday. I read "The City of Sparks" yesterday, but couldn't get book 3 in the series (had to order it). So, I'm reading book 4 today. It's a good series, meant for teens/young adults.

The book is set a few hundred years after a world-wide set of disasters (four wars and three plagues). It's incredibly interesting and light enough to breeze through :) No reviews, I'll get to that Monday (or so).

• 2 weeks later...

I am posting my week 3 review late - "Where's God?" by Dr. John Townsend. It was more interesting than I thought it would be. I have an allergy to psychobabble, so I was worried this book would trigger it, but it did not, I'm happy to say! He actually worked on refining the questions we are really asking when we ask the title question and I found that to be intriguing - like getting to the motive and figuring out exactly why you are asking.

Next up will be "Just So Stories" by Rudyard Kipling