Menu

Please help me figure out what food to bring to our new homechurch tomorrow.

So we've found a new home fellowship to attend. We went a few weeks ago for the first time. There's around 50ish people that attend, half of which, or more, are children. This fellowship has been such a blessing to us. We've gotten to know a few members a little better that live closer to us. I realize I could just call one of the two women that I've grown to befriend already, but they are so gracious that I'm afraid they'd just say 'or you're still new, don't worry about bringing anything' or something like that. But I love to cook and contribute to the hospitality; I'm just not sure how yet in this particular situation.

They meet in different homes each week. There are three or four families who take turns hosting. Obviously, not everyone hosts, since not everyone has a home big enough; I know we don't.

So it's sort of an all-day thing. We meet at 11, have worship and teaching for two hours or so, then we eat and fellowship for the afternoon.

Everyone brings food. When we went for the first time, I just made 3 dozen or so homemade rolls, and brought them with two sticks of salted butter. I could make that ahead of time, and just set it out when we got there.

But from what I could gather, everyone, especially the families, usually brings more than that. Like say, maybe a main dish or casserole that would be enough to feed however many are in their family, plus a side or two; maybe a dessert, a salad, a bread, something like that. And I got the impression that after the worship/teaching time was over, the women went to the kitchen to prepare and set out the food.

We were new, and there was a lot of new people for me to meet, so I was a bit overwhelmed. I didn't get the full picture of how they do things, you know?

So now we're going to fellowship again tomorrow. It's at a different home than last time. Honestly, I'm not even sure if we met this particular family at the last fellowship we attended. I'm not great with names, and there were two families that were out sick that week.

So what can I bring? I don't know this couple well, I've never been to their home let alone cooked in their kitchen. All the women are nice and friendly, but it's hard being the new girl, and not really knowing how they already do things. I was thinking maybe something that I can put in the crockpot here at home when I get up, say around 8am or so, that would be ready to eat by noon. But most of the things I cook in my crockpot are in there on low all day, say at least 8 hours or so.

Oh help! I really don't want to bring something that has to go in this lady's fridge and then be cooked in her oven before we eat it. I mean, what if I misunderstand, and that's NOT how they do things! What if she's already using her oven? Oh good grief, why do I make things so complicated...

If I can find something to make in the crockpot and just leave plugged in, that would be fantastic. It can be any sort of main dish; beef, chicken, even a soup or stew? That might work...

Then I'll also make some rolls or salad and a dessert, and I'd be very happy.

And yes, this week I plan to ask more questions and get a better idea of what the other ladies do for next time. :001_smile:

Any help or suggestions are very appreciated. I'm going to the grocery store this evening, so anything I don't have on hand I can pick up there.

ETA: Good gracious, I have no idea how I made this post so long and wordy! I apologize, and thank you if you actually read it all. :)

:chillpill:

You will be just fine! Here is a great recipe and I am certain you will receive many others here -- also, www.thekitchenlink.com is my go-to place when I need a recipe so you can check that out.

You might call one of the women you've befriended and phrase it like this (if you still have questions): "I am preparing a main course casserole 'thus and such' to bring to so and so's house tomorrow. Will I be able to heat it up when I get there or should I just bring it in a crock pot?" If I were the person you asked, I'd be thrilled that you felt at home enough in your new group to contribute.

Let us know how it works out! Mariann

:chillpill:

You will be just fine! Here is a great recipe and I am certain you will receive many others here -- also, www.thekitchenlink.com is my go-to place when I need a recipe so you can check that out.

You might call one of the women you've befriended and phrase it like this (if you still have questions): "I am preparing a main course casserole 'thus and such' to bring to so and so's house tomorrow. Will I be able to heat it up when I get there or should I just bring it in a crock pot?" If I were the person you asked, I'd be thrilled that you felt at home enough in your new group to contribute.

Let us know how it works out! Mariann

Gee Mariann, was it that obvious that I'm a little stressed? :D

I get a bit anxious and nervous when I'm the new person in a group. I've started annoying my dh with it today, since I can't put off the decision any longer about what to make for tomorrow. He has no suggestions, and really couldn't care less what I make. He said 'Why don't you go post on your homeschool forum and ask them?' :)

Gee Mariann, was it that obvious that I'm a little stressed? :D

I get a bit anxious and nervous when I'm the new person in a group. I've started annoying my dh with it today, since I can't put off the decision any longer about what to make for tomorrow. He has no suggestions, and really couldn't care less what I make. He said 'Why don't you go post on your homeschool forum and ask them?' :)

:lol::lol::lol: My DH will now preface everything with: 'What have you read on your homeschooling board about: FILL IN THE BLANK (goats, bovines with wings, household budget software?) You name it -- he doesn't realize but this board has become his GO-TO place as well. :lol:

I think it's sweet that you are so concerned with tomorrow and it shows how much this new group means to you and your family. Hey, if you didn't care, you'd show up with a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jelly...not that there is anything wrong with that.....but I'm sure you are going for a somewhat more, hmmmmmm, what's the word...........'hands-on' or inspired or well-thought-out contribution to the meal. You will be great! Like I said, let me know how it goes! Mariann :001_smile:

If I were you I might do something today for 8 hours until tonight, put it in the fridge, and then put it on low in the morning so that it's warm when you are ready.

OR

I have a great recipe for Taco soup that honestly is so easy you could throw it together in your crock pot first thing in the morning and it'd be ready. Make a couple of batches of Jiffy corn muffins and you are SET!

Taco Soup:

1lb ground beef or turkey

1 med onion, diced

- brown the gr beef and onion together, drain. I also sprinkle on some garlic powder

throw it in the crock pot with:

1 large can diced tomatoes

1 reg can corn (with juice)

2 small or one large can of diced green chiles

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed

1 packet taco seasoning

1 packet of Ranch dressing mix

1 Tbsp Cumin

It's thick, like the consistency of chili, but you can add a bit of beef broth or even water to thin it if you want. We like it thick. Start it off on high for about an hour to get it humming, and then turn it to low and you will be the star of the afternoon. This surprisingly makes quite a pot but if you have a very large crock pot, like 8q you could also double it. I've done that for a big crowd. And it's inexpensive too!

Have fun! Sounds like a lovely group!

We belong to a housechurch that sounds exactly like yours!

Here are some of the things we take:

Meatballs in a crockpot, take along bread if some want mb sandwiches, little ones will just eat the mb's.

We have precooked hot dogs and burgers then put them in the crockpot on warm; big hit with the little ones and adults alike.

Casseroles, cold cuts and fixin's for sandwiches.

Big crockpot of pre-made mashed potatoes, pork roast made in pressure cooker (we take the cooker), we only take dessert sometimes...other families have young girls who love to bake and are always good for a yummy dessert.

You'll find this gets easier and you'll get ideas from others as time goes on.

hth!

Meatballs in a crockpot, take along bread if some want mb sandwiches, little ones will just eat the mb's.

We have precooked hot dogs and burgers then put them in the crockpot on warm; big hit with the little ones and adults alike.

Big crockpot of pre-made mashed potatoes, pork roast made in pressure cooker (we take the cooker), we only take dessert sometimes...other families have young girls who love to bake and are always good for a yummy dessert.

hth!

Sophia, I'm sure you're right, and it'll get easier as time goes on. I just want them to like me, and to fit in. Ugh, I sound like I'm back in midddle school again. :tongue_smilie: Well, you know what I mean. The ladies aren't going to judge me on what I do or don't bring, but I'd like to be a blessing, you know?

Most any of this could go in the crockpot:

You could make shredded meat of some kind, with barbeque sauce (I have a great homemade recipe, or just buy some), and bring some buns to put it on.

Along the same lines, you could make sloppy joes. I'm always surprised how popular those are.

A big pot of chili, with shredded cheese and onions on the side. When I'm feeling ambitious, I also bring hot dogs & buns so they can be made into chili dogs. (Kids seem to go crazy for this)

You could make lasagna in the crockpot, and bring a salad, some breadsticks, etc. Garlic bread always goes fast, and only takes a minute under the broiler before the meal. I can usually slide it in the oven right after other things come out.

I also make a nacho-casserole-thing, and that could go in the crockpot. I cook up a couple pounds of taco meat, add a couple cans of chili beans, some mexican rice (Could be boxed from the grocery, though I have a great scratch recipe that's not hard), and shredded cheddar. I combine all of those things in the crockpot, and let 'er rip. A bit before the meal, I top it with crushed Fritos and nacho cheese sauce, and put the lid back on until the toppings are warmed through. Always is totally gone, no matter where I take it.

You could put meatballs in the crockpot, add marinara, and buy some good rolls and provolone slices for meatball sandwiches.

You could make some ham or turkey and cheese sandwiches on croissants. Those can be served cold, or popped in the oven for about 10 minutes just until warm. I'd probably bring a fruit salad too, and I usually use diced peaches, diced pineapple, and raspberries, and then I toss it all together with some white grape juice concentrate. It's easy and pretty, and you can do fine making it with canned fruits if that's all you have, or you're pressed for time.

You could make a selection of sauces: marinara, alfredo (can be quickly microwaved), and butter/parmesan, then if there's room on the stovetop you can just boil the pasta at the time and toss it with a bit of olive oil to keep it "unstuck".

You can get very thick-sliced turkey lunchmeat from the deli, make up some stuffing (even Stovetop stuffing), and roll up the stuffing in the turkey slices. Then you can top the whole thing with a bit of gravy, either premade, mix, or homemade (if you're ambitious).

You can always do the chicken/rice casserole thing in the crockpot.

Uhmmm....

If you want fancier, you could use boneless/skinless chicken breasts, pound them a little bit thin, then stuff them with most anything (I often use cream cheese mixed with broccoli or ham). Then you could bake them at home, and just put them in the crockpot to warm tomorrow, maybe topping them with a bit of alfredo while they're warming.

I've read that you can boil store-bought fresh/frozen ravioli, and then layer it with marinara and mozzarella to make an easier lasagna. That would be easy.

I also make chicken chunks in a red chile sauce (not spicy), and then you can warm tortillas in the microwave and keep them in a tortilla keeper. On the side, you can have bowls of shredded cheese, sour cream, and/or mexican rice.

Soups are great. I make a really thick/rich creamy chicken with wild rice soup. When I bring that, I usually make a simple salad, and sometimes I make biscuits that can just be briefly warmed in the micro or oven before serving. The soup stays warm & happy in the crockpot.

I could come up with more, but I've got my own food dilemma today! I have to bring food somewhere, and it needs to be simple & healthy. I often do relatively healthy, but not so much simple, iykwim. If you want to chip in for me, find my post and add your input!

Haven't read the other replies yet....

Our fellowship has a shared meal every week; I was worried this would feel burdensome, but I have learned a few tricks to make it work for our family, the chief one being: as often as possible, I try to cook on Saturday. :)

Many people at our church bring coolers to keep salad and cold meats fresh and crock pots for the warm stuff. We are now in a church, and we bought a Gemini oven for the church to make it easier to keep things warm and still have the capacity to cook a bit. Sometimes people do a bit of cooking (pop in some pizzas; boil some ravioli; broil some veggies) between the end of service and the meal time, but most of the time the food is brought to church prepared.

I usually bring whatever would have been a meal for my family. For example, tomorrow I will bring beef and barley soup, rolls, and a spinach casserole. Other days it might be homemade mac and cheese, salad, and cookies. Chili, chips, sliced veggies. Enchilada casserole, bag of clementines, and brownies. Sometimes I bring kid friendly food (once I made grilled cheese sandwiches--a hit with the kids!) and sometimes I bring peppercorn and cippolini onion skirt steak that mostly adults seemed to enjoy. I don't always bring dessert, but my 15 loves a chance to bake so it happens more than it might if it were just up to me!

My husband is one of the elders at our church, so people often ask me what the standards are. It's important to us that people feel free to bring whatever they are comfortable bringing. By that I guess I am trying to say we don't want anyone competing or showing off or feeling that they would rather not come because the meal feels like too much work. That's why I make it a point to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every now and then! It has been suggested by some in our fellowship of churches that we try to elevate the homemaking arts by bringing our very best to the meal. And while I appreciate the sentiment (and occasionally get kinda fancy), I prefer to encourage people to do what they can comfortably, freely, and without stress.

I didn't mean to write a treatise on the subject!! Sounds like you are already comfortable in the kitchen and prepping food won't stress you out. My heart just goes out to people who find it a bit daunting.

ETA: just read the whole thread...I see you are a bit anxious about the whole thing. Here's some hugs ((()))! It's going to be just fine. It took me a while to figure out what doesn't do well sitting around at keep warm temp for 4 hours, and we've all given each other some laughs. But it's important to keep in mind, it's only one element of our fellowship time together.

*Just thought of a few more dishes that don't require heating at all: taco salad, Caesar salad, asian chicken salad, cowboy caviar, cold chicken legs. These dishes are always actually the ones with nothing left over.

Edited by Natalieclare

I hate cooking for fellowship meals at our church... you have a way better attitude than me! Seriously, I always have trouble figuring out what can either go in a crockpot or sit out and still be fine.

Spaghetti (or chicken spaghetti) in a crockpot.

Beans in a crockpot.

Homemade mac and cheese for the little ones in a crockpot.

Meatballs, barbecue, or sausages in a crockpot.

Soup is easy.

Veggie tray.

Fruit tray.

Cheese and crackers and dip.

Hmm. I'd love to see other options. We only do this once a month but figuring out what to cook is a struggle for me!

could you ladies tell me how you found out about your house church you attend?

We found ours through word of mouth.

These families were all originally searching for a family integrated church; there are none close by, so they banded together and formed our fellowship.

They have been together five years... we joined last year.

:lol: I nearly fell over recently when dh asked me to consult the hive mind on an issue!

Our church home-fellowship group has dinner together once a month - with lots of kids. I try to bring 2 or 3 items, depending on what I've heard from other people. Some easy kid-pleasing sides might be as simple as a big bowl of grapes, mac & cheese, or pbj / cheese sandwiches cut into triangles, a big bag of chips or bowl of popcorn.

Denise, it's quite a journey to find a homechurch. This particular one has a friend of a friend story, but we've been involved in other home fellowships in the past few years. It's sort of a word of mouth thing, but you can also sometimes find fellowships that have websites now.

hth!

Shucks. I wanted to browse through all the posts and think of something useful I could suggest but now I am so hungry that you have to excuse me while I get something to eat!

Shucks. I wanted to browse through all the posts and think of something useful I could suggest but now I am so hungry that you have to excuse me while I get something to eat!

Okay, I am back and here is my contribution: The Sunday Brunch Casserole:

This fills a 9 x 13" baking dish.

0.5 lb sliced bacon, Kielbasa or turkey, chopped

0.5 cup chopped onion

0.5 cup chopped bell pepper (any color, several colors) or celery & carrots

12 eggs (you may be able to get away with 10 eggs)

1 cup of milk

2 cups freshly grated potatoes (or frozen hash browns, thawed - in a pinch)

1 cup shredded cheese (whatever you like, mozzarella is good, also cheddar)

1 teaspoon salt

0.5 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

0.25 teaspoon dill weed

Cook bacon until crisp - if using other choices, lightly brown meat. Sautee onion and pepper until tender.

Beat eggs & milk in a large bowl, stir in the potatoes, cheese, salt, pepper, bell pepper, dill, onion and the bacon or other meat.

Grease 9 x 13" dish with either olive oil or butter.

Bake uncovered at F350 for 35 - 45 minutes.

A toothpick inserted in center should come out clean.

Of course you can double this recipe (or triple) for a whole homechurch.

I'm sure I'm jumping in here too late, but I usually bring BBQ meatballs in a crockpot to those things. I buy a package of meatballs from SAMs. Defrost, squirt a bottle of BBQ sauce over them, reheat and put in a crockpot on law. They are always gone in a heartbeat. I go with the store bought meatballs because they hold up better then mine and have a more neutral flavor.

So, what did you end up bringing?

So we've found a new home fellowship to attend. We went a few weeks ago for the first time. There's around 50ish people that attend, half of which, or more, are children. This fellowship has been such a blessing to us. We've gotten to know a few members a little better that live closer to us. I realize I could just call one of the two women that I've grown to befriend already, but they are so gracious that I'm afraid they'd just say 'or you're still new, don't worry about bringing anything' or something like that. But I love to cook and contribute to the hospitality; I'm just not sure how yet in this particular situation.

They meet in different homes each week. There are three or four families who take turns hosting. Obviously, not everyone hosts, since not everyone has a home big enough; I know we don't.

So it's sort of an all-day thing. We meet at 11, have worship and teaching for two hours or so, then we eat and fellowship for the afternoon.

Everyone brings food. When we went for the first time, I just made 3 dozen or so homemade rolls, and brought them with two sticks of salted butter. I could make that ahead of time, and just set it out when we got there.

But from what I could gather, everyone, especially the families, usually brings more than that. Like say, maybe a main dish or casserole that would be enough to feed however many are in their family, plus a side or two; maybe a dessert, a salad, a bread, something like that. And I got the impression that after the worship/teaching time was over, the women went to the kitchen to prepare and set out the food.

We were new, and there was a lot of new people for me to meet, so I was a bit overwhelmed. I didn't get the full picture of how they do things, you know?

So now we're going to fellowship again tomorrow. It's at a different home than last time. Honestly, I'm not even sure if we met this particular family at the last fellowship we attended. I'm not great with names, and there were two families that were out sick that week.

So what can I bring? I don't know this couple well, I've never been to their home let alone cooked in their kitchen. All the women are nice and friendly, but it's hard being the new girl, and not really knowing how they already do things. I was thinking maybe something that I can put in the crockpot here at home when I get up, say around 8am or so, that would be ready to eat by noon. But most of the things I cook in my crockpot are in there on low all day, say at least 8 hours or so.

Oh help! I really don't want to bring something that has to go in this lady's fridge and then be cooked in her oven before we eat it. I mean, what if I misunderstand, and that's NOT how they do things! What if she's already using her oven? Oh good grief, why do I make things so complicated...

If I can find something to make in the crockpot and just leave plugged in, that would be fantastic. It can be any sort of main dish; beef, chicken, even a soup or stew? That might work...

Then I'll also make some rolls or salad and a dessert, and I'd be very happy.

And yes, this week I plan to ask more questions and get a better idea of what the other ladies do for next time. :001_smile:

Any help or suggestions are very appreciated. I'm going to the grocery store this evening, so anything I don't have on hand I can pick up there.

ETA: Good gracious, I have no idea how I made this post so long and wordy! I apologize, and thank you if you actually read it all. :)

With that many kids, I'd bring Macaroni and Cheese. I'd make it ahead, put it in the crock pot, and put it on "Warm" in the morning when I arrived. By lunch time, it will be all warm and bubbly, and yummy and delicious.

Don't forget to ask if they do a theme. We had a small group, much smaller than this homechurch, that ate each week and none of us really liked the hodge-podge of tortilla chips with lasagna type thing. So we had themes like mexican, italian, breakfast, appetizers, picnic, etc. It was fun. But again, that was a much smaller group.

I forgot that one of my most requested recipes is for my anti-pasto pasta salad. I use 1 box bow-tie pasta, diced salami, black olives, red onion, gr bell pepper, cherry tomatoes - halved, and lightly steamed chopped broccoli for some green (or you could use chopped fresh spinach). Top with one whole bottle of your favorite Italian dressing (we love Newman's Own Lite Balsamic Vinagrette). Do this the night before so all the flavors meld (maybe save out a wee bit of dressing to top it with the next day). Sprinkle with shredded parmesan and you will be golden. Always disappears and because there's no mayo, you can leave it sitting out for a couple of hours.

What did you decide on?

Our housechurch is just like yours! Only we meet Sat night at 7pm and fellowship (eat) late at night past midnight. Tonight, I sent hubby to hc (son and I are sick) with a large frozen pizza from the deli and chips. Lately, any kind of homemade soup (i.e. Taco Soup) has been a hit. I love cheese and crackers, veggie platter, hot artichoke dip... the ladies are good with feeding everyone! Some weeks it is fancy -- other weeks it is finger food. We do lots of soda and paper plates/plastic utensils.

Edited by tex-mex

We know the hosts from being in ministry together -- tonight, my hubby (ordained minister) is giving the message. Our host/leader is also ordained with 20+ years being a Pastor in a regular church. We have 30-40 members.