Menu

How did they do it?

Our heater is broken and it is getting cold. So cold that I wake up at dawn because I can't sleep because i'm so cold. I have to put my robe on and crawl back into bed in order to get warm enough to go back to sleep. I makes me wonder about the times before people had central heat. How did they deal with this. And we're not even in a state where it gets as cold as places like Dakota or Canada.

Family bed, lots of quilts and socks on feet. We have central heat, but there has been times it is not enough. Last winter we had a cold snap of -40s temps, I had the heat cranked up all the way and we were still cold at night, so we all shared my bed, put on socks and piled on the quilts. We pretty much hibernated that week, we did not want to leave the cozy bed much lol

To my Tennesse Neighbor:

Layers and layers of clothes and quilts.

They pretty much bundled up and huddled together.

Of course, I still believe they were made of pretty stern stuff.

Right there with you in the cold snap. The good news the weekends forecast is wet and warmer.

I prefer the cold to the wet anyday, but then again the heat pump in my house is working so don't take my opinion. :001_smile:

I have been huddling next to the fireplace for the last week or so here in Alabama.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Woolen underwear, flannel nightshirts, night caps, lots of well made quilts, curtains around the bed, bed warmers with hot coals.

They also had to deal with chilblains from the cold. I've never been quite able to figure out what those are. All I know is when I get cold at night all my muscles ache, maybe that is it.

Even my mother had to wear "woolies" in the winter. Maybe we need to think about wearing long underwear again.

Edited by Virginia Dawn

Peri, I live in Nashville too! I've been sleeping in my typical long-sleeve T, yoga pants, and socks, but a few nights I've slept in my fleece jacket, too, zipped all the way up! And sometimes 2 pairs of socks. And always my superwarm fleece blanket on top of the other blankets.

What really helps is my husband, who radiates lots of heat!:D

We didn't have heat when I was growing up and I remember have so many blankets on me that I could hardly move at all under the weight of them all. But oh how I hated to get out of that bed in the morning. It has been cold recently. I have a bathroom heater and it runs constantly because it never reaches the temp. I have set it on. I have been wearing my thermals, pjs, socks, slippers and bathrobe. Last night I put gloves on in the house.

My brother in Dallas says that his pipes have froze and they have had snow several times this year. That never happens there. :confused:

Edited by KidsHappen