Menu

Cadmium found in children's jewelry made in China

I rounded up all metal from Claire's, Walmart and the $ Store from my daughter's jewelry box. She was so sad to lose some keepsakes from different trips and the "Charming classics" from some favorite chapter books. I'll hold onto them in my room and see if I can get a testing kit. Nothing but sterling silver now for her now though....

I wish I could get my ire up over this but I'm out of energy on this issue. It's been like this for YEARS - lots of countries have done testing, there's an outcry, politicians look serious on tv & insist changes are coming to consumer protection and THEN? Nothing changes. AND consumers keep buying the crap. Toys, jewellry, pet food, baby formula, vitamins - over and over and over.

This is why I try really, really hard to avoid buying anything from China. What really bugs me is stainless steel - it's getting almost impossible to buy kitchen stainless steel items which are made anywhere except China. Well, color me cynical, but I don't believe it's all 18/8 & if I can at all avoid it, I refuse to buy it.

Time to speak with our $'s.

Oh and yeah, it would be really nice if the gov't actually put some power into the FDA etc. But the big business pressures battle it every step of the way (oh, no! we don't want government interference! We'll self-police! We're ethical capitalists!),& at the end the consumer is the one who suffers.

I wish I could get my ire up over this but I'm out of energy on this issue. It's been like this for YEARS - lots of countries have done testing, there's an outcry, politicians look serious on tv & insist changes are coming to consumer protection and THEN? Nothing changes. AND consumers keep buying the crap. Toys, jewellry, pet food, baby formula, vitamins - over and over and over.

This is why I try really, really hard to avoid buying anything from China. What really bugs me is stainless steel - it's getting almost impossible to buy kitchen stainless steel items which are made anywhere except China. Well, color me cynical, but I don't believe it's all 18/8 & if I can at all avoid it, I refuse to buy it.

Oh and yeah, it would be really nice if the gov't actually put some power into the FDA etc. But the big business pressures battle it every step of the way (oh, no! we don't want government interference! We'll self-police! We're ethical capitalists!),& at the end the consumer is the one who suffers.

*standing ovation*

I agree completely. We really try hard to not buy things from China and it is really tough sometimes. However, I've noticed that there are a lot less junky and broken toys around since we've started.

I never really thought about this before. Just wasn't something I took the time to pay attention to. Dumb. I'm done with Chinese products to so far as I can help it.

I never really thought about this before. Just wasn't something I took the time to pay attention to. Dumb. I'm done with Chinese products to so far as I can help it.

Nah, not dumb. There are too many things to know about. And see, I'm glad you posted because maybe there was someone else who hasn't heard about it yet & who will now know why "made in China" should be a huge, red flag.

sorry I ranted - 'twasn't at you

:)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We stopped buying toys made in China a few years ago...ditto the poster who said they have a lot less junky, broken toys around the house.

And if anyone knows a source for pine nuts not from China, :bigear:.

:iagree:

I am going to look at everything now.

We stopped buying toys made in China a few years ago...ditto the poster who said they have a lot less junky, broken toys around the house.

:iagree:

I don't even buy food from China if I can help it.

And fish...we love fish but pretty much all of it is from China and I won't buy it.

:iagree::iagree:

While I don't want government intervention everywhere in business (or life for that matter) the FDA should have the power to come down on these manufacturers!

:grouphug::grouphug:

I think Alessi pine nuts are imported from Italy. I'll check when I run to the store later today.

I've been searching for turtleneck sweaters all winter and haven't been able to find any that aren't made in China. Drives me nuts.

I don't even buy food from China if I can help it.

And fish...we love fish but pretty much all of it is from China and I won't buy it.

Watch out for apple juice and canned fruit. So many brands of apple juice contain juice from China, and much canned fruit is imported as well. :confused: I look at EVERY food label now and if I can't identify its country of origin I put it back. I'm not comfortable with foods from China and similar countries, especially when farmers here at home are unable to make a decent living.

Standing Ovation! I am in complete agreement.

Watch out for apple juice and canned fruit. So many brands of apple juice contain juice from China, and much canned fruit is imported as well. :confused: I look at EVERY food label now and if I can't identify its country of origin I put it back. I'm not comfortable with foods from China and similar countries, especially when farmers here at home are unable to make a decent living.

Even the steam frozen bags are from China. We dont buy Chinese if we can help it.

If the govt. would stop all trade from China , manufacturing would have to open here and jobs would increase and maybe, but not guarantee, standards would be increased.

We might have to wipe out the FDA for that.

No tomatoes please.

If the govt. would stop all trade from China , manufacturing would have to open here and jobs would increase and maybe, but not guarantee, standards would be increased.

If the American co who ultimately derive profit from the $0.25/hr labor (I saw that in the PBS documentary on Walmart) would just install decent whistleblower-rewards programs, I think standards would increase. E.g. $10,000USD to anyone who tattles on anyone knowingly deviating from specs at Mattel, RC2, etc.

Back to the OP's article, toys containing 90+% cadmium is shocking.

So how do you find out the country of origin for nonfresh food items? I have only seen a few labeled (like apple juice).

Most have the country stamped on the bag, similar to and sometimes near the expiration date. We buy lots of frozen fruit and berries for smoothies and if I can't find the country, I buy another brand. Fresh produce should all have the country listed on it, too.